Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Improved MultiMonitor Support Request

ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

I am testing with VNCViewer FT5 beta... When working with multimonitors (on both ends)... Connecting to a remote PC with dual monitors and I double click the "Select Full Desktop/Switch Monitor" button, I found the limit that the VNCViewer window will only display the pixels that will fit on my primary monitor (even if I have dual monitors on my side. I can change the remote resolution or chance the Size % to see more or less of the remote dual monitors, however I can't find a way get past the pixel limitation. If I size the VNCViewer window to not show any black edges, I get a srollbar. The scrollbar will let me scroll the view to where I can see the full remote dual monitor contents. What would be very nice would be if the VNCViewer could use both my monitors (on the VNCViewer end) where I can stretch the VNCViewer window across both monitors and see the remote dual monitors as if I was setting in front of the remote dual monitors. (which is the objective of any remote control software). At work, dual monitors has become the 'thing' that everyone wants. BTW, is there any command line switch that I can use to open the VNCViewer session with it open for dual monitors, where I don't have to double tap the "Select Full Desktop" button?
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Re: Improved MultiMonitor Support Request

Post by Rudi De Vos »

In case you have local 2 monitors, you have the viewer option ( above the [] save connection settings.
That allow you to select the monitor to be used for full size.
1.prim
2.sec
3.both

On the server site you can select prim/sec/both as inital settings.
ultravnc.ini
[admin]
primary=1
secondary=1
You can also set it via the uvnc_settings.exe
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

Thanks for the quick reply... I had not noticed the monitor settings at the bottom of the window before. I wanted this to work so bad I remoted into my work computer to try this out. When I open VNCViewer.exe and drop down the monitor options, I have the following options:
0. 3360 x 1061 @ -1680,-11 - 32-bit
1. 1680 x 1050 @ 0,0 - 32-bit 59 Hz
2. 1680 x 1050 @-1680,-11 - 32-bit - 59 Hz
When I select monitor option '1' and connect to a remote PC, everything works as normal and the window is on my primary monitor. When I double tap the "Select Full Desktop" button, the window my VNCViewer window jumps to the left of my primary monitor, the view of the remote PC goes to the left most monitor on the remote PC (if not already there), the scroll bar appears on the bottom of the VNCViewer window and I can scroll around to see both monitors.
When I select monitor option '2' and connect to a remote PC, everything works as normal and the window is on my secondary monitor (to my left). When I double tap the "Select Full Desktop" button, the window my VNCViewer window jumps to the left of my secondary monitor, the view of the remote PC goes to the left most monitor on the remote PC (if not already there), the scroll bar appears on the bottom of the VNCViewer window and I can scroll around to see both monitors.
When I select monitor option '0' and connect to a remote PC, everything looks as normal and the window is on my primary screen. When I double tap the "Select Full Desktop" button, the VNCViewer window vanishes but is still open (task bar icon still shows). The viewer window is not on either of my monitors. I can single click off or on the VNCViewer icon and the VNCViewer window never appears. The only thing I can do is right click and Close the VNCViewer window.
I am trying dozens of other setting combinations now. I will try to do a write up on them when I am certain of the results.
It might have something to do with the fact that I have my primary monitor on the right. I also have a double height task bar which might be throwing a kink into the window size calculations.
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

I tested using the 0. monitor option again today with the 1.2.1.6 VNCViewer and the VNCViewer window is still missing. When I click on the taskbar icon, it appears the window expands and minimizes to the top of my primary monitor (on the right), instead of going to the left monitor. The only option I really have it to right click on the taskbar icon and select "close window".
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Dammmm forgot this... but have some time next week.
If i find a solution i will update it with a special build :)
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

Thank you for looking into this.
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

I have a question about using the buttons to move between dual monitors...
I have dual monitors. For this scenario, I am connecting to a PC with dual monitors. The ini (all installs) has the following:
primary=1
secondary=1 (thanks for letting me know about it)
so when I connect to the PC, my single VNCViewer window opens full width on my primary monitor showing both monitors of the remote PC. What I am trying to figure out is if there is a way to show only the secondary monitor of the remote PC? If I double tap the "Show Full Desktop/Switch Monitors" button, I can see the primary monitor. I can't find a way to switch to show only the secondary monitor. I thought (incorrectly) that I would be able to click on the "Select Single Window" button, point the mouse/target pointer at and click on the secondary monitor. That did not work. Then I tried adding double tap the "Show Full Desktop/Switch Monitors" button. That did not work. Then I thought I might be able to double tap the "Select Single Window" button to toggle between the two monitors. That did not work.
If I use:
primary=1
secondary=0
I can double tap the "Show Full Desktop/Switch Monitors" button, then scroll to the left (or right) to view the secondary monitor. But again, I can't find a way to view only the secondary monitor.
Please understand that
primary=1
secondary=1
is what I want most of the time, it is just sometimes I would like to be able to Zoom Up on the secondary monitor.
If you can tell me if it is possible and what I should be clicking on, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Code is 1 or ALL, you can not select only 2 or only 3