Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

UltraVNC 1.2.3.0 - Download links

Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

UltraVNC 1.2.3.0 - Download links

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Time to make the 1.2.3.0 release official on the website.
https://www.uvnc.com/downloads/ultravnc ... -1230.html
SkyBeam

Re: Update 1.2.3.0 online

Post by SkyBeam »

Rudi De Vos wrote:Time to make the 1.2.3.0 release official on the website.
Great job. Many thanks for the hard work and effort spent.
Will there be any MSI packages available?
Du10

Post by Du10 »

vncviewer.exe
1. On launch I need the cursor to be in the field "Computer:" to let me just type the name of PC, and press enter to connect
2. When I press "Connect" - viewer just launching again, and now just from second window, the connection is starting
EXIO

Post by EXIO »

Hello

Thank you very much for all your effort and work on UVNC.

I'm also looking for the msi, will you post it on the download page?

One small detail, on vncviewer Quick encoder is written as "Qiuck".

I'll do a performance testing tomorrow let's see if got better!
SkyBeam

Post by SkyBeam »

Du10 wrote:vncviewer.exe
1. On launch I need the cursor to be in the field "Computer:" to let me just type the name of PC, and press enter to connect
I don't fully understand this statement. I can just launch UltraVNC viewer and hit enter to connect. Also this works if the cursor is within the Computer or the repeater field.

However I notice another weird behavior:
When Tabbing through the fields after opening the viewer it seems to tab through invisible fields too, even if the "Show Options" has not been clicked. So it needs 10 tab presses to return to the "Computer:" field. Exactly the same amount as when tabbing through the elements when the option pane is open.
Even more weird: When opening and re-closing the options pane it will only tab through the visible items (compute, repeater, connect, cancel, use repeater checkbox). Even though also then I think the order is not logical. My usability recommendation would be:

- Computer
- Use Repeater checkbox
- repeater address
- Cancel
- Connect
- "options" button

Also I would recommend to gray out the repeater URL if the "Use Repeater" checkbox is cleared.

Du10 wrote:2. When I press "Connect" - viewer just launching again, and now just from second window, the connection is starting
This I can fully confirm. It requires me to hit the connect button twice.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

ok, forgot tabs , changing
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

downloads updated

**AUthSSP corrected
**Viewer:
-Fix Focus
-Fix tab order, this possible fix also 2. please check

MSI: Msi will be created after setup/zip checks
SkyBeam

Post by SkyBeam »

Rudi De Vos wrote:downloads updated

**AUthSSP corrected
**Viewer:
-Fix Focus
-Fix tab order, this possible fix also 2. please check

MSI: Msi will be created after setup/zip checks
I just re-downloaded the EXE installer and re-installed it. Included authSSP.dll is from 2019-11-20 21:04 and works fine. Authentication with MS Logon is fixed! Thank you!
However the viewer is still built on 2019-11-17 14:52 in both EXE installers and in ZIP.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

forgot x64, updated again
SkyBeam

Post by SkyBeam »

Rudi De Vos wrote:forgot x64, updated again
I have updated my viewer again. Now tab-order is a bit better, but still a bit weird:
  • Computer URL
  • [ ] Use Repeater checkbox
  • Repeater URL
  • (nothing)
  • Cancel
  • Connect
I didn't find out what is selected between repeater URL and Cancel, perhaps it's the "show options" button, but I did not find a way to open it via keyboard.
After opening a fresh viewer and pressing "Connect" once or hitting the enter key the viewer window just closes and re-opens (with options closed) but does not do anything else. I need to hit the "Connect" button again then to initiate a connection.

EDIT: Also I am unable to connect with this viewer version to a server which is using MS logon authentication. I am using the patched version with fixed MS Logon and it worked in old viewer. But in the updated viewer built 2019-11-20 23:43 it fails with the message "SecureVNCPlugin authentication failed (no plugin interface available)".
Du10

Post by Du10 »

Rudi De Vos wrote: downloads updated
OK, now I can see another bug
I'm using SecureVNCPlugin64.dsm plugin
1. Launch viewer
2. Click "Connect" (again, to last connected PC)
3. I can see error: SecureVPNPlugin autentication failed (no plugin interface available)

But if I do this, it's connecting normal:
1. Launch viewer
2. Click Show Options (and than I can click, or not click Hide Options)
3. Click "Connect" (again, to last connected PC)
4. Client connects to server normal
Arno-BS

Post by Arno-BS »

@Du10: For me it is a different behaviour (with viewer dated 20/11):

1. Launch viewer
2. Click Show Options (click or not Hide Options)
3. Click Connect (twice because first click only restarts viewer)
4. Error: "Your connection has been rejected."

Once (I couldn't reproduce it yet) when in options on the security tab I unchecked and re-checked "Use Encryption", I afterwards could connect to server without error.

As well there seems to be a difference between clicking connect button with mouse or hitting enter key.

With viewer dated 17/11 connection always was without error, but connect button has to be clicked twice as well.
cyberstream

Post by cyberstream »

Couple issues so far:

1. In the viewer, the tab "Qiuck encoder" has a typo. Should be "Quick".

2. When leaving the viewer connected to a PC that puts the display to sleep every 2 minutes, as soon as the display goes to sleep, the viewer disconnects and then reconnects and subsequently wakes up the display. On the viewing computer, this will also re-focus the viewer application which will interrupt anything else currently happening on the same PC. As I'm typing this, the screen on my TV computer is going to sleep (it's connected but minimized), and the viewer reconnects and pops up and takes focus and interrupts my typing.)

Hope this is helpful!
Thomas Levering

Post by Thomas Levering »

[options]
selectedscreen=0

is not working in 1.2.3.0
Local more then 2 Monitor
and Remote Screen bigger then one Monitor

options.vnc or GUI

the position on reconnect is changed in this version too
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Give me a weekend to test again.
Results are inconsistent with local test.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

cyberstream
2. [] Prevent screensaver,
server option
While connected we tell the server that winvnc is a media app that need the display.
This prevent screensaver and sleep
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

File re uploaded. (setup exe and zip)
Viewer version is 1.2.3.1, just to be sure we all test the same. ( server didn't changed)

*Trying to fix alt-tab, forgot to load the settings when the expand(options) button was NOT pressed.
This explain the difference between expand or not

*I just can't repeat consistend the dubbel connect button issue.
I only can test it on a few PC, current i don't have it anymore, but not sure if it's fixed .

tested
*encryption
*mslogon
*reconnect position

Please provide feedback. This need to be fixed.
SkyBeam

Post by SkyBeam »

Rudi De Vos wrote: *Trying to fix alt-tab, forgot to load the settings when the expand(options) button was NOT pressed.
This explain the difference between expand or not
For me tabbing is working. Just I miss a possibility to open the "Show Options" pane by keyboard as there is no tab selection for the button. So no keyboard-navigation is possible.

Rudi De Vos wrote: *I just can't repeat consistend the dubbel connect button issue.
I only can test it on a few PC, current i don't have it anymore, but not sure if it's fixed .
I think I nailed it...
The options.vnc settings should not contain any host= and port= options in the [connection] section.
I am not fully sure if the structure has changed recently but currently the viewer seems to store host and port in a single string referred in an index-letter...

Code: Select all

[connection]
index=BCA
A=hostA::1111
B=hostB::2222
C=ID:1234
But when using the following then the connection attempt just re-opens the viewer on first attempt:

Code: Select all

[connection]
index=BCA
host=ID
port=12345
A=hostA::1111
B=hostB::2222
C=ID:1234
But if the format changed recently, then the new viewer should either just ignore the values or (even better) migrate them to the new format.
Anyway, removing host= and port= attributes from [connection] section fixes the viewer re-open issue.

Rudi De Vos wrote: tested
*encryption
*mslogon
*reconnect position

Please provide feedback. This need to be fixed.
Now it seems to work just fine for me.
Many thanks for the update!
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Thanks, for the ini hint.
I'm able to repeat it now.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Updated again

*replaced expand image by a button, so the tab works.
*option.vnc
Host and port are not longer saved or loaded. This fix the dual start.
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

Thanks for fixing the double open button requirement.
I have downloaded and installed the 11/24/2019 update. I am running on Windows 10 / 64 bit installed using UltraVNC_1_2_30_X64_Setup.exe
With this version when I launch the viewer it first presents a Windows Open dialog box listing the Options.vnc file. At first I thought the Windows Open dialog box might be caused because I had an archived copy of my Options.vnc file in the folder. I moved the archive copy out of the folder, but that did not make a difference. Each time I run the VNCViewer.exe, it shows the Windows Open dialog box showing the Options.vnc file. Whether I click on the file and click Open or just click Cancel, the viewer works as expected.
Arno-BS

Post by Arno-BS »

The same for me: windows open dialog box with Options.vnc instead of starting the viewer directly.
SkyBeam

Post by SkyBeam »

Rudi De Vos wrote:*replaced expand image by a button, so the tab works.
Keyboard navigation is still a bit "weird". Also the tab selection order on some option tabs is a bit odd, like selecting through the options of the encodings using the arrow keys. Or in the "Display" tab the selection order is weird:
  • (6) Screen selection.
  • (1) Start in fullscreen mode.
  • (5) Fit to screen, no toolbars.
  • (7) Show toolbar
  • (2) Auto scale by... (3) xxx%
  • (4) Scale
  • (8) Save positio on exit.
  • (9) Save size on exit
Also the item "Show toolbar" is the only one not having a period at the end.
Logically I would expect to also select the buttons from top to bottom like ... delete -> save -> tab bar -> option pane contents (in order) -> save as default -> reset defaults -> Computer URL ...
Instead currently tabbing from the "Save" button goes --> Save as default --> Reset defaults --> tab bar --> option pane -> Computer URL.

Well, those are all cosmetic issues of course. Mouse navigation just works fine. Just tab navigation is a bit "weird".

Rudi De Vos wrote:*option.vnc
Host and port are not longer saved or loaded. This fix the dual start.
Seems to work fine. Except the (already reported) issue that the Viewer now asks for an options file on startup. I guess this is some leftover debug code you introduced to test multiple option files.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Dammmm ""'àè!§&é'&è ... debug code

I appriciate the feedback. The frontend is the only thing most users interest, it need to be correct and worth spending time on it.

Rechecking

Re -updated

load file
Tab order
fixes
ddbivens

Post by ddbivens »

Thank you for the quick fix of the windows Open dialog!
One thing, nothing major... My default setting is: Connections Options, Viewer Siz/Pos Not Auto, 100%.
When I connect to a remote connection, click the cog to "Show Connections Options", Viewer Siz/Pos Click Auto (to place a check mark), still by 100%, click OK or press Enter = no change.
When I connect to a remote connection, click the cog, "Show Connections Options", Viewer Siz/Pos Click Auto (to place a check mark), change to any value other than 100%, click OK or press Enter = window size goes to Auto.
My thought would be that placing the check mark would be enough to cause the screen to go to Auto even if it was still showing 100%.
If I change the value to a different %, it would seem like the check in the "Auto" field would uncheck.
cyberstream

Post by cyberstream »

Rudi De Vos wrote:cyberstream
2. [] Prevent screensaver,
server option
While connected we tell the server that winvnc is a media app that need the display.
This prevent screensaver and sleep
Hi Rudi,

Thanks for following up. I know about this setting, but I do not want to disable the screensaver or the screen going to sleep on the remote PC. With 1.2.2.4, the viewer would just blank out and idle instead of disconnecting and automatically re-connecting like 1.2.3.0 does.
treepwood_g

Post by treepwood_g »

Hi Rudy, you made a hard work, thanks a lot.
I have read this article: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... solutions/
It explains the VNC vulnerability, in particular OpenVnc.
Does this version of OpenVnc solve all the vulnerabilities of the different CVEs?
Thanks.
Nicola
SkyBeam

Post by SkyBeam »

Rudi De Vos wrote: I appriciate the feedback. The frontend is the only thing most users interest, it need to be correct and worth spending time on it.
Thank you! Absolutely no bashing intended.
However I ask myself if it would be possible to test some of the things in automatic manner. However I am not a GUI developer but just seeing some regressions and things which could potentially be automatically verified. But I guess potentially resources are not available to implement some sort of CI/CD system.

Well, granted, me and others could also invest more time to verify pre-releases (which were definitely available). But at least some sort of automatic build system could offer automatic build of packages (also for pre-releases) to ease the process of accessing pre-releases rather than trying to grab the latest ZIP from some forum thread and manually replace binaries. I would love to check if I can do something here to help out but having some resource limits myself currently.

Perhaps meanwhile it would have been a good idea to release 1.2.3.0 as release candiate (eg. 1.2.3.0-RC1) awaiting feedback and incrementing to RC2, RC3... unless final release is approved. Releasing pre-releases on the official download page would perhaps enable more users to help beta-testing.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. You're pretty responsive here which is very appreciated.

Ah, one more thing, rather a feature request:
When selecting "Auto scale" in display options the display scales to window size. Would it be possible to implement "keep aspect ratio" feature to keep the aspect ratio of the remote system? Currently the window size can be adjusted to any w/h size which warps the picture into various aspect ratios.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

The release was to fast, but there was one security issue left that needed to be fix...release was needed.

Without actual testers, preleases are online for months to get some feedback and find most bugs.
Added RC to 1.2.3.0 but want to release fast.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

We are already communicating with kaspersky for a year.
99% of the security issue's were fixed in latest version. (1.2.2.3) 03/19 but there was one left
that's fixed in 1.2.3.0.

The viewer is affected.
If a viewer connect to a fake vnc server, the server could send bigger updates and names then expected.