Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

GETTING STARTED (CONFIGURATION and SETTINGS)

Merel

GETTING STARTED (CONFIGURATION and SETTINGS)

Post by Merel »

Hello , I'm new here.
I installed Ultra-VNC but I don't know anything about it.
Thanks for some help with "getting started" and YES I started reading the documentation.
(this thing seems much more technical and less easy as they want to make us believe, so you have to read anyway)

A. CONFIGURATION
First, I wanted to start with UltraVNC Configuration.
Following page in the documentation explains settings for Admin Properties :
C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\doc\install\configuration.html

On this page I read :
"The "Admin Properties" menu item in the system tray UltraVNC icon menu
referres to Default Local System Properties and allows for customizing several areas...etc"

Question : There is no icon in my System Tray ! Why ? Wrong installation settings ?

Now the stupid question : What program should I launch to make Admin and all user settings ?
On the START\Programs\UtraVNC Menu, I see no less than 5 options :

1. Doc
2. UltraVNC Server (Folder with detailed submenu of all together no less than 10 items !)
3 UltraVNC Viewer (Folder with submenu of 2 items )
4. "C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\winvnc.exe" (server, blue eye icon)
5. "C:\Program Files\UltraVNC" (viewer, green eye icon)

The two last are shortcuts (pointing to the two above) incorrectly placed there by installation process !
I suppose that at least one should have been installed in system tray instead of the start programs menu.
How many icons should have been installed in the system tray by installation ?

B. INHOUSE NETWORK APPLICATION
It might be that following issue was already explained in another topic, in which case, I apologize.
What are the minimum and essential settings for following situation ?
The goal is to make remote desktop available on a home PC running Win-XP Home.
I want to be able to work "remote" on this PC, from my other PC running Win-XP Pro.
Actually both are inhouse home-PC's, cabled to a router.
Bill is not even able to make remote desktop available if both PC's are not running XP Pro in a Ultra-simple "Microsoft Windows Network".
I hope that UltraVNC will do the job without too much technical configuration settings. :roll:

[mod=494,1148865333]added sticky[/mod]
Last edited by Merel on 2006-05-29 01:15, edited 2 times in total.
Merel

HELP YOURSELF

Post by Merel »

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for all the great help here !
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, this might help if like myself, you try to use of UltraVNC for the very first time on your home-PC's connected together in a LAN inhouse network environment.

The explanations are just basics that you need to know as a newbie.
Take my configuration as example. The goal is to make remote desktop available on a PC running Win-XP Home. I want to be able to work "remote" on this PC, from my other PC on the inhouse LAN. Both PC's are cabled to a router.

A. You don't need UltraVNC if you want to access PC's running Win-XP Professional.
The "Remote Desktop" function in Windows-XP Professional can be used.
Such PC can be made available for remote control, by any Windows PC (XP-Home in my case)

In other words : You can use any PC with the XP-Home version to take control on the desktop of a WinXP-Pro machine,
and work on it, just as if you were sitting in front of it.

B. However it does not work the other way ! If one of your PC's has Windows-XP Home edition, and you want to operate it from a remote PC, you will need to do something.... because there is no way you could remotely control it, without a "server". This is some piece of software, controlling things happening on your network. Hell, one more again !

What does the server do ? It controls what the outside world can take away from your PC. And you are the big boss ! It's up to you to decide if the take-aways are gonna be pizza's, nuts, desktopviews or remote access.

Above all, it's up to you to decide WHO is allowed to enter and you will give the viewer a password. UltraVNC is an example.

So, for UltraVNC you are becoming the "administator" of the most important computer network in the whole world : your own home PC's network ! Of course "servers" can do much more, but as I said, we are learning about the basic set-up.

C. After installation of UltraVNC

I did NOT see any icon on the system tray.
However on START\Programs\UtraVNC\ you will see 5 items :

1. Doc
2. UltraVNC Server (Folder with detailed submenu of no less than 10 items !)
3 UltraVNC Viewer (Folder with submenu of 2 items )

4. "C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\winvnc.exe" (server, blue eye icon)
5. "C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\vncviewer.exe" (viewer, green eye icon)

The last both items are shortcuts which you better cut-paste to your desktop.

D. Any PC with XP-Home must use the "server".
This is C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\winvnc.exe

The SERVER needs to know a few things, that you must define in the "default settings".
This name remains "default" settings, even after changing them to your taste.

You have to do this with Start/Programs/Ultra VNC/UltraVNC Server/Show Default Settings
(Make sure to have a shortcut on your Desktop too, because there is chance that you will have to retry your settings !!)

The password is important for the incoming "viewer" to enter this PC.

After loosing much time, I discovered in some other topic one should NOT USE THE WINDOWS LOGIN !!
I must check later on this again, because I want to be able to "work" remotely (not only "view")
But as a start, and for the time being, let's be happy if atlast, the screen can be viewed.

For other settings I did follow mostly as shown at the online documentation.

E. So what else is needed ?
Nobody and no program could acces the PC, if the firewalls are not allowing it.

E.1 First of all: Windows Firewall should be adjusted to allow UltraVNC programs to send and receive data.
Probably you will find your way via ControlPanel / Windows Firewall / TAB Exceptions,
where you have to make sure that UtraVNC programs are in the list of not blocked programs.

E.2 Your usual Firewall should not be overlooked.
I use BitDefender, where I allowed "Program Control" (checked ON),
and adding the UltraVNC programs as permitted in both directions on the specified ports.

D. Now go to a another PC

- We will try to "view" the XP-Home PC (with the server installed)

- On my Win-XP Pro PC , I launched the viewer and finally after doing all what is described above, I was able to enter the WinXP-Home PC.

- A small window will appear in which you must enter the password
(NOT the Windows account password neither the Microsoft Network password, but the password which was defined above)

Enter the command line "computername::5900"
Attention : Those charachters :: must be typed twice.

Hopefully it should work (at last)

Eventually you can now "VIEW" the screen of the WinXP-Home PC.

But even more ! Now you can also "work" on the Windows accounts, just like you would with Remote Desktop.

So, now that you and me are finally getting started, I hope we will discover more features.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway : The documentation needs more guidance. Besides network engineers and computerfreaks, maybe there are other people on this planet, speaking plain English only ??

One same opinion was found here : [topic=6258][/topic]

And looking at this forum, there are too many questions, and too many remain un-answered.
There might be some bad reason for ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Merel on 2008-03-27 13:49, edited 3 times in total.
kieve

Re: GETTING STARTED (CONFIGURATION and SETTINGS)

Post by kieve »

Err im new to this software, but im trying to remote control my desktop since my home automation software is installed in it. Do i need the software installed on the other end? or i could just log on to the webpage or IP ?
mattice06082
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by mattice06082 »

You can access via an internet browser if the JavaViewer is enabled, which is enabled by default. To do this you need to set up port forwarding of the ports you're using, 5800 and 5900 by defaults. https://uvnc.com/features/javaviewer.html
Norkamus

Post by Norkamus »

Merel, thank you thank you, (thank you). You are right. The documentation is lacking for people like myself who only needed to know which of the many menu items needed to be run/ installed where. Nowhere does it say which computer needs to have which software running...

Thanks again, I'm happy now.

Nick
MouthpiecePC

Post by MouthpiecePC »

Can you give an example or explain with screen shots on how to configure a router. I am running XP Pro and the PC I want to connect to is using XP Home. We both have Linksys routers. Please be detailed. Thankyou for your help in advance.
mattice06082
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by mattice06082 »

Use PortForward for step by step instructions. You only need to configure the router for the LAN that's running the UltraVNC server. You may also need to configure security software on the machine running the UltraVNC server. Here' another link that provides step by step guides to configuring various firewalls.

You commented in another thread that we should provide guides, but there are way to many different routers and software firewalls. I don't even think it's necessary when the folks at PortForward.com have already done such a nice job of this. Hope that helps :wink: .
jerger

Post by jerger »

for the viewier... i posted this in a thread before seeing this:

You: fast internet connection, fast pc
Them: slow internet connection, slow pc

I support about 100 machines a week this way, these settings from various posts have really helped smooth things out for remote support.

===================
1st: update ultra vnc (see second half of email) if needed.

a. Launch “Ultra Vnc Viewer”
b. Click “Manual” and check “Save connection settings as default”
a. When finished click “options”
c. Uncheck “Auto select best settings”
d. Select “tight vnc”, alternately you can try ZRLE (but this is more cpu intensive for the user. Same as using the “modem” setting)
- Select “256 colors”. This will improve performance greatly. If you need a higher detailed screenshot remember to change to “Full colors”
- If performance is still very slow attempt “64 colors” but be aware of degraded image quality.

e. Check “use copyrect encoding”, “use cache encoding”, “zip/tight compression” and “jpeg (tight) – quality)”
f. Change Zip/tight compression to 6 (this compresses the connection but does not over compensate)
g. Change jpeg(tight quality) to 1 (this reduces lag on slower machines by lowering image quality).
h. Select the button “track remote cursor locally” to reduce the mouse from not accurately moving.
i. If you updated vnc: check “do not display the sponsor advertisement” and change the “number of times the reconnect…” to 0
-click ok
-make sure “save connection settings as default” is selected. Attempt a connection, even if a fake machine name then cancel/close to save changes.

Alternate ideas in a pinch: try auto or modem settings before connecting.

==========
other ideas
=========

New ultra vnc released. Fixed some speed/compatibility issues. Make sure to disable ads, install hook driver if needed and for extra performance use “modem” mode.
http://filehippo.com/download_ultravnc/tech/

-note if you fail the password close it out and re-open, the re-attempt will try the cached password.
-in options check “do not display the sponsor advertisement”
-in “quick options” select “modem” and “save connection settings as default” for a speed boost

Updated tight vnc 3/2009 if you need it too:
http://filehippo.com/download_tightvnc/tech/
5secondnews.com
wabara007

Post by wabara007 »

Am new here
i install the ultravnc...but i did know how to configure it...am using ...am using MTN fast link modem...so please guys any one...help me out here...pls
David
Orlando1234

Post by Orlando1234 »

Err im new to this software, but im trying to remote control my desktop since my home automation software is installed in it. Do i need the software installed on the other end? or i could just log on to the webpage or IP ?
nelsone

Post by nelsone »

hello everyone.I'm new here and need learn much more.I think in this forum I will get more than I expected.
gokkasten

Post by gokkasten »

Hi everybody. I am from The Netherlands. Is there any person from The Netherlands here that can explain some things to me? I am no good in English :)
steve.davis

Post by steve.davis »

I've used TightVNC before and I'm trying to gain a better understanding of how UltraVNC could be used. I'm particularly interested in 1 Click. Is it possible to configure uVNC so that a user on my webpage could click a link to share without having uVNC installed on anyone's PC other than the the tiny file that is downloaded and installed on the users PC that's currently being shared via the 1-Click? If so, is it possible for other visitors on the same website to be able to view the users screen that's currently being shared via 1-Click whereas no one else on the internet would be able to view the screen currently being shared by the user who is currently sharing via 1-Click.

If so, can someone provide a brief overview of how this is done? I have my own webservers for both Windows and Linux and the page that the user would share using 1-Click is secured by username and password using a SessionID.

Thanks for any insight you may provide.

Steve
picocycle

Post by picocycle »

I have what I hope is a simple configuration issue.
I have a Win-XP Pro SP-2 box.
I am administrator.
I have uninstalled UltraVNC_1.0.9.6.2_Setup.exe 4 times.
I have downloaded this from 2 sights.
I have tried Run as... Administrator... Just in case...

I also have a Win-7 box, with no problems.

My problem is that when I right click the server icon in the tool tray, 99% of the items are grayed out.
The only items available are "About", Visit", and "List", basically worthless...
This prevents admin properties setup...

Please provide insight / guidance .
nvb3

Post by nvb3 »

Hello I am new to this forum. This last week I installed VNC viewer on Windows 10 pro computers. I discovered that when I enter a server name and save it, it only applies to the currently logged in user. Is it possible to tell it to apply to all user that login to the computer or so that I do not have to enter the server name under each individual user account when they login?