Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

UltraVNC 1.3.7-dev6 - Download links

Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

UltraVNC 1.3.7-dev6 - Download links

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Changes
1.3.7 dev-6
-warning about unthrusted server can be disabled
-trayicon fix
-Fix multiple cursors when not selected
1.3.7 dev-5
-installer update
SkyBeam

Re: 1.3.7 dev-6

Post by SkyBeam »

I did some quick tests. But unfortunately some of them did not go very well:
  • When connecting to a server with built-in password authentication (no mslogon[2]) selected) it still just displays the default "Remote access from ID: ID:xxxx" message (using repeater connection, if this makes a difference). Also the message looking a bit odd saying "from ID: ID:xxxx" rather than just "from ID: xxxx". When using a direct connection it shows "Remote access from ip address y.b.c.d". Also here IP should be upper-case, but still also in this mode I cannot get it to display my personal message. It starts to work immediately if I enable MS Logon.
  • "warning about unthrusted server": I tried to connect to an older UVNC using both options "[x] Only allow encrypted servers." and "[ ] Only servers with password" from security tab in viwer. I did not get a warning about password but also got a gray screen. Also my server seems to have crashed now and does not respond any more. So I need to get there to restart it somehow.
Also note the word is "trusted" not "thrusted" - but I think it's only used in release notification here and not anywhere on the GUI. I noticed as well that some of the GUI checkbox items are sentences (with a "." at the end) and some of them do not have the trailing dot. Sure, just a cosmetical issue, just a small thing I noticed.

In addition this question lead me to another question: How to set up a VNC server without authentication. I never used this feature but I failed to set an empty password. When setting an empty password in admin properties I seem to get looped (UAC-rquest and properties-panel re-opening). Also restarting the service does not bring up the tray icon but opening admin properties after service restart.
When using uvnc_settings.exe I can both, clear the password and uncheck "[ ] Password Required" checkbox. But then I am still prompted for a password on client connect but I don't know how to authenticate then. So I am a bit confused how to set up a server without password and as written above my only server without authentication just crashed in the testing process.
slow.walker

Post by slow.walker »

Good morning!

We tested the update concerning behaviour described in viewtopic.php?t=37543.

The changes seem to work.

We tested manually:
- Connecting with multiple clients (from multiple machines) works
- No additional cursors appeared when connecting with multiple clients with disabled "Collaborative" mode
- On activating "Collaborative" mode in the server the mutliple cursor appeared again

Thanks for the fast update!
We'll wait for the final release of version 1.3.7.
Last edited by slow.walker on 2022-02-28 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

[Permissions]
[admin]
AuthRequired=0
[UltraVNC]
passwd=
passwd2=

An empty passwords without Auth -> block the vncserver to startup.

All my test are direct connections, viewer connect to server.
Gonna check with invers connections, perhaps i need to repeat it this way.
Is the OSD notify working, then at least the data is send from viewer to server.

2x ID: and ip->IP changed
SkyBeam

Post by SkyBeam »

Rudi De Vos wrote: 2022-02-28 18:17 Is the OSD notify working, then at least the data is send from viewer to server.
Thanks for having a look.
Good point indeed. I did have my VNC server configured to ALWAYS show a connect notification. So when using built-in authentication (no mslogon) it was still showing the message, but just reporting ID or IP. I retried now using the option only to show the message if a custom message is supplied. And I can confirm that in this case NO message is shown at all. So it looks like my server either does not get any message or it is ignoring it entirely (no changes on client side at all, just changing the authentication type on server-side).

Edit: Another glitch I noticed is that when using the sharing indicator (red frame) it is killing the notification.
So the quick-info about an active incoming connection is popping up and then I see tha sharing frame application being loaded which immediately also closes the notification. Perhaps this could be fixed if the sharing frame application is loaded before the notification is triggered - just changing the order.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Tested reverse with and without mslogon II
Tested direct
In all cases i get the custom message.

Please verify if you are testing with the correct server/viewer, sometimes you can have 2 servers running on different ports.
Check if about has the proper version: 1.3.7 dev-6.

Still need to test as service, but behaviour should be the same.
SkyBeam

Post by SkyBeam »

Rudi De Vos wrote: 2022-02-28 21:16 Please verify if you are testing with the correct server/viewer, sometimes you can have 2 servers running on different ports.
Check if about has the proper version: 1.3.7 dev-6.
I did validate the processes running with the versions installed. Yes they are the ones from the 1.3.7 dev-6 packages.
All tests performed while running as service.
Binary winvnc.exe build date 2022-02-27 18:09, reporting file version 1.3.7.4 and product version 1.3.7 dev-6, running on Windows 11,
Binary vncviwer.exe build date 2022-02-25 22:50 (obviously built earlier), reporting file version 1.3.7.4 and product version 1.3.7 dev-6, running on Windows 10.

Can't get it to display any custom message as soon as "[ ] MS Logon" in Admin properties is disabled. As soon as MS Logon is enabled it is working as intended.

Please also have a look at the suggestion to first display the connection frame and then display the quick-info connection message after.

Update: I just tried again, fresh installation with latest installer. On Server-Side I have uninstalled and cleaned the install folder before to make sure no ultravnc.ini exists. On client side I did remove the entire %AppData%\UltraVNC folder to start the configuration from scratch.
No change: Server displaying "connection from ip..." message only, no matter if I provide a custom connect message or not.

But I had some breakthrough success disabling the encryption plugin. And suddenly I was presented the login message also when not using mslogon2 but plain password authentication. So somehow it only works if no encryption is enabled.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

encryption....thats's it.
Seems viewer is not sending data when encryption is active.

Thanks for the feedback.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

It was a viewer issue.
Encryption fix for client message.
SkyBeam

Post by SkyBeam »

Rudi De Vos wrote: 2022-03-02 21:51 It was a viewer issue.
Quick test done. I confirm the issue seems to be resolved.

Thanks a lot!

I currently don't have open issues on my list. Looks like it might be time for another release unless others provide additional feedback requiring another developer-iteration.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

yep, time to make a 1.3.8.0 Release.