Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

SC + Vista Compatibility - WORKING!!!!!!

Single Click discussions / bugs
brainwave64

Re: SC + Vista Compatibility - WORKING!!!!!!

Post by brainwave64 »

Caramel,

Thanks for the compliment, and don't worry, my bubble doesn't burst very easily. :)

Just out of curiosity, how big is your final SC executable? The one my clients can now download and that is based on the script above is around 420 KB in size.
zeroasterisk

Post by zeroasterisk »

I've been playing with [SingleClick_Vista] and [SC_VNC_AutoItVersion]. I am not interested in the "SCPrompt" versions, as I'm sending people to dynamic domain names and don't want to prompt them for anything.

I was just wondering:

A) do we have updates based on the security vulnerability?

B) do we have any functionality/optimization updates on either? I can remotely control a Vista PC, but it's often pretty slow still.

C) can you confirm if each SC works correctly (without the Vista extras) on a non-Vista PC?

thanks,
Alan Blount
http://zeroasterisk.com/
LAMP+AJAX==WIN
Caramel

Post by Caramel »

@brainwave64
my sc is around 490k but i have not really played around too much with compression (gotta get time to do that), also i compile with ansi support for backward to 98 compatability that may make it slightly larger i don't know...
the biggest thing with mine is that it is replaceable while connected - i often find the need to update the sc (especially recently with vista changes) and can do so while connected without probs.

@zeroasterisk
A) sc is still using older server code (ie NOT 104) so there is no problem with that.

B) with current versions in this thread it should not be too slow controling vista i would probably look at other factors ie bandwidth etc? aslo could be that aero is not being disabled properly? is the glass effects going away? try putting the aero exe on the machine and running it (it will not have gui but spawn a process and aero will disable) when you kill the areo aero will return.. also try connecting and then checking for the aero exe running in the taskmanager.

C) these versions of sc should work as normal on non-vista machines the code in the batch file checks for a vista-only reg key before running vista specific code else it runs basically the normal sc
Cko4

Post by Cko4 »

I tested that and this solution works fine. A big thanks guys. I test with SCprompt to and he works greats.

Thanks again.

Cko4
Cko4
nicepants

Post by nicepants »

This is great, but I'd love to be able to eliminate the IP/Port prompt. If I hard-code that into my config files, what changes need to be made to eliminate that step for the user?
Radeon

Post by Radeon »

Hi NicePants

You are looking at the wrong one, I created that download as VeryBusy requested it. Try the link from Caramel. It contains all of the same stuff without the prompt.

http://sydflexi.dyndns.org/release/down ... ersion.zip

Cheers,
remote

Post by remote »

I wonder if anyone knows where I'm going wrong. I'm testing UltraVNC between a Vista Ultimate PC and XP Pro. I've installed UltraVNC-1.0.4-RC12 on both of them and have no problem going either way. However, it's the SC functionality that I require. I've tried several versions of SC on both machines with no luck. I get a "WriteExact: Socket Error while writing" error message. Firewalls on both machines are turned OFF. Both machines are on the same LAN (so no NAT's).
I posted here because I'm not sure if this has anything to do with Vista or not. I'm not sure what to try next. Any suggestions or answers would be appreciated.
johnhct

Post by johnhct »

This is fantastic. We've been wrestling with pchelpware for months and we love uvnc. Thanks for all the effort.

I do have a question. We would like to distribute a single file. I tried brainwave64's idea, but I always get the UAC allow box. Is that supposed to happen? I thought it would get around it. I tried to add a manifest to the .exe, but that wouldn't run at all.

Also, I tried Caramel's method. It doesn't present the UAC box, but it does open a black cmd window before opening the uvnc window. Is this supposed to happen or did I do something wrong. It's a small cosmetic thing, but I'd like to avoid it.

Thanks,

John
zeroasterisk

Post by zeroasterisk »

Just to share information:

We've tested the:

AutoIt version with the prompt, without the prompt
SC_Vista version
And the Advantig (free) version

We ended up liking the SC_Vista version best. It seems the most responsive on Vista and non-vista boxes. Advantig came in second.

Note: this is only our un-official testing...
Alan Blount
LAMP+AJAX==WIN
johnhct

Post by johnhct »

Alan,

Are you also getting a black cmd window before the uvnc window? Or am I doing something wrong?

Tnaks,

John
zeroasterisk

Post by zeroasterisk »

yup - black command window flashes in background.
Alan Blount
LAMP+AJAX==WIN
zeromel

Post by zeromel »

hi hi everyone

its good project but i have some time big lag witch vista.

i think if its possible add aero in the pw its beater.

it s possible???

tanks for help.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Maybe it's just late, just as it has been the past few times I've viewed this thread; but I can't make heads or tails of what this is going to take to update my SC for Vista compatibility. It would SO rock if someone would close this off, create a nice tutorial, specify what works, what doesn't, and make it a sticky.

My two cents won't get ya a penny tho.

SC is king!
cyberdoc

Post by cyberdoc »

Well, after a few hours of testing I finally got something usefull. I tried Caramel & Radeon's version, but the command prompt annoyed me.
So what I did was just write an App that disables Aero and sets the respective settings in the registry, and restores them the same way as Caramel & Radeon's bat script did.
The app detects if your running vista and executes winvnc.exe (or any other program passed as an argument when executing.), after disabling Aero.
I'm working on an Online Generator to build the complete SC app but for now you can grab the AutoIt version based on Caramel & Radeon's package.
As an added bonus I'm happy to share my source with all of you guys. Happy hacking.

VistaSC.exe description:
1. execute with argument eg. "VistaSC.exe winvnc.exe"
2. Launches and checks if you are running Vista. If not it just executes the supplied command argument and exits.
3. If running Vista it backs up the registry keys "PromptOnSecureDesktop" & "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin" to "name + _tmp" and sets them to the new values.
4. Disables Aero.
5. Executes arg[0] eg. winvnc.exe and waits for the process to exit.
6. After process exit, Restores original registry values keys and deletes tmp values.
7. Exits enabling Aero again.

That's it folks pretty simple.

Source, bin and package is available here.

www.uptime.dk/opensource/ultravnc_sc_vista/

Please do test and give feedback if you got time for it.
Last edited by cyberdoc on 2008-03-02 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
MegaMaxDna

Post by MegaMaxDna »

cyberdoc wrote:Well, after a few hours of testing I finally got something usefull. I tried Caramel & Radeon's version, but the command prompt annoyed me.
So what I did was just write an App that disables Aero and sets the respective settings in the registry, and restores them the same way as Caramel & Radeon's bat script did.
The app detects if your running vista and executes winvnc.exe (or any other program passed as an argument when executing.), after disabling Aero.
I'm working on an Online Generator to build the complete SC app but for now you can grab the AutoIt version based on Caramel & Radeon's package.
As an added bonus I'm happy to share my source with all of you guys. Happy hacking.

VistaSC.exe description:
1. execute with argument eg. "VistaSC.exe winvnc.exe"
2. Launches and checks if you are running Vista. If not it just executes the supplied command argument and exits.
3. If running Vista it backs up the registry keys "PromptOnSecureDesktop" & "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin" to "name + _tmp" and sets them to the new values.
4. Disables Aero.
5. Executes arg[0] eg. winvnc.exe and waits for the process to exit.
6. After process exit, Restores original registry values keys and deletes tmp values.
7. Exits enabling Aero again.

That's it folks pretty simple.

Source, bin and package is available here.

www.uptime.dk/opensource/ultravnc_sc_vista/

Please do test and give feedback if you got time for it.
I'm unable to decompress

http://www.uptime.dk/opensource/ultravn ... ersion.zip

and

http://www.uptime.dk/opensource/ultravn ... ersion.zip

I've tried using TugZip 3.4.0.1 and 7-Zip 4.57, I can see the files list but I get an error on decompressing :cry:
cyberdoc

Post by cyberdoc »

I just zipped the files one more time using 7zip. Please try again.
MegaMaxDna

Post by MegaMaxDna »

cyberdoc wrote:I just zipped the files one more time using 7zip. Please try again.
Now I can decompress the files without errors.
cyberdoc

Post by cyberdoc »

I finally got tired of the whole .NET 2.0 dependency problem. As a fix I re-did the vista_sc app in C++ Native W32. However, I havn't included the registry fixes. I'll include those later, when I get time.
I added the files:

no_aero_src.zip
no_aero_bin.zip
ultravnc_sc_noaero_7zipSfxVersion.zip
ultravnc_sc_noaero_AutoItVersion.zip

to: www.uptime.dk/opensource/ultravnc_sc_vista/

Please test, and give feedback if you got the time..
Last edited by cyberdoc on 2008-03-04 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
ice651

Post by ice651 »

For those that care... I was also able to get Caramel/Radeon's build to work with the SCIII/SSL version by simply replacing the EXE and modifying the Helpdesk.txt with the original SSL version configs. (way to simple)

I prefer the SSL to the SC II or I because the fact that many clients are now locking down outbound ports on firewalls and the SCIII sends all traffic over 443 with a unique ID: number in VNC repeater. Simply put - it always connects.

Thanks for the work on the VISTA side guys! Great job.

ice :D :D
mblochi

Post by mblochi »

Hey Guys... WOOHOOOO now i´m finish with reading this thread and it seems to work but i haven´t test it out yet because i have no Vista machine at the moment but i got a lil question for better understanding because theres no readme file included...

I just Downloaded the SC_VNC_SCPromp_AutoItVersion_2.0 from Radeon and what i have to to now?? I just click Compile.cmd and it will create the SC_VNC.exe .... now i have to start this exe on the vista machine or on the XP machine to connect to the Vista machine???

I think i start this EXE on the Vista machine and write there my IP(DynDNS) + Port and on the XP machine i´m in the listener mode.

is it Right?

I know this question is a lil bit stupid but theres no Stupid Question only Stupid answers :-P..

So many thx for responses
Last edited by mblochi on 2008-03-17 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
Radeon

Post by Radeon »

Hi mblochi

All you need to do is edit the helpdesk.txt with your IP Details once done. hit compile like you say, then run it like you would the standard Single Click on the remote machine you want to be able to control.

Thats all there is too it.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Regards,
mblochi

Post by mblochi »

Hi Radeon,

THX for your Reply and tatatada it work fantastictly but only with the UltraVNC viewer and not with the TightVNC Viewer but thats no problem :-D.

So many THX and greetz to all of you guys wich work for that SC.
zeroasterisk

Post by zeroasterisk »

@cyberdoc : Big thanks! I like how well/completely you provided your code. Kudos!

I'm trying to work with [ultravnc_sc_vista_7zipSfxVersion] and i'm having no problem creating a the SC - and it's making the connection wonderfully when connecting directly...

But I've setup a repeater and am trying to get the connection to work through the repeater... I see the server/viewer connections into the repeater... but it's not establishing the connection... the SC closes and the viewer comes back with the following error:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Connection failed - Error reading protocol version

possible causes:

- you've forgotten to select a DSMPlugin and the server uses a DSMPlugin
- viewer and server are not compatible (they use different RFB protocoles)
- bad connection

Anyone got any ideas? Do I need to switch out some internal files?

If anyone would like to test, I can provide the repeater address and assistance.

thanks,
-alan- AIM/YIM/Skype: zeroasterisk
Alan Blount
LAMP+AJAX==WIN
marcgistel

Post by marcgistel »

Hi everybody,

at first I want to thank you all for this nice work! the SC is working very fine!
BUT :-)
at perhaps one week aggo my antivir programm detects the SC-File as an Virus:
"WORM_AUTORUN.TI" my programm called: "Trend Micro"
I think because of the SC is preparing the .reg of the pc so that should be a Virus. someone knows this problem?

greetings marc
Last edited by marcgistel on 2008-03-27 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
marcgistel

Post by marcgistel »

Zero?

what versions do you use (vncviewer, SC)
And do you use an repeater?
Check if they are useing SSL and if, check if the "CERTIFICATE.PEM" are the same.
check your Ports they are connecting to each other(443?).
Please give us more information ;-)

greetings marc
zeroasterisk

Post by zeroasterisk »

Sure - more details on me trying to get it to work with a repeater:

Am using a repeater, but for the first time - so it could be that I've done something wrong there. I setup Jari Korhonen's vnc-repeater for linux, and it reports when the server and viewer try to connect in.

server connects over port 5500
viewer connects over port 5900

I've not configured anything "special" for SSL'ification.

Since I have so many variables in play, I'd like confirmation from someone else that these SC's can work through a repeater... then I can start troubleshooting my setup more.

Also I should test a "standard" single click through the repeater to see if it works better.

thanks,
-alan-
Alan Blount
LAMP+AJAX==WIN
cyberdoc

Post by cyberdoc »

zeroasterisk.

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been a little preoccupied with work.

I got the exact same setup as you.. I have a linux repeater running (Ver014, modified to accommodate longer timeout periods.) and SC connecting to the repeater. No problems.
Which version of the repeater are you running.?
Please post all available version information on both SC, repeater and client. I might be able to confirm your setup.
Azz

Post by Azz »

Hi all,

I have tried ultravnc_sc_vista_AutoItVersion and there doesn't seem to be any helpdesk.txt included? How do you specify the host etc?

I have also tried SC_VNC_SCPromp_AutoItVersion_2.0 which works 100% better as it asks for the IP address, but is there a way of customizing this?

Thanks, keep up the good work....

Aaron
cyberdoc

Post by cyberdoc »

.. Azz

I just repacked all the versions to include the same content as custom.zip.
They have replaced the previous versions located at:

http://www.uptime.dk/opensource/ultravnc_sc_vista/

Please try again..

Some words of advice:

I recommend the 7zip versions, since they tend to compress the final exe better and it is a well tested principle. I've had some unexpected results (Unable to execute script file) packing with AutoIt. I seems to mess up the exe when upx packing.

Version information and usage:

ultravnc_sc_vista_AutoItVersion.zip :
AutoIt tests for VISTA OS to ensure correct execution.
.NET 2.0 based. Which means failure if not installed. (Is obviously installed on VISTA)
I only keep this version for nostalgic reasons.

ultravnc_sc_vista_7zipSfxVersion.zip :
7zip executes the included vista_test.exe to test for VISTA OS.
.NET 2.0 based. Which means failure if not installed. (Is obviously installed on VISTA)
I only keep this version for nostalgic reasons.

ultravnc_sc_noaero_AutoItVersion.zip :
It has a built in test for VISTA.
Native WIN32 (Recommended).

ultravnc_sc_noaero_7zipSfxVersion.zip :
It has a built in test for VISTA.
Native WIN32 (Recommended).

If you need to you can use the Reshack tool included in the 7zip versions to modify the 7zsd.sfx file as you like. Version information and so on... I used it to change the icon on the final result. The original sfx is included in the zip as 7zsd.sfx.org.

I hope this helped..
Last edited by cyberdoc on 2008-04-01 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
Sainsuper

Post by Sainsuper »

Hello!
I want to say thanks for this sc versiom.
I have tested all 4 verison and all working (only ultravnc_sc_vista_AutoItVersion.zip don't work, the appication blog when start) but they work only in uac is disable. If uac is enable the connection close when there is a confir request (from UAC)

the old version of sc_vistaautoitversion (there was a winvnc.cmd script) work great with UAC enable.

Thanks and sorry for my bad english.