Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

VNC Address Book - UltraVNC management (.vnc import/export)

This forum is for VNC related products | This means not only UltraVNC | It even is allowed to announce or describe commercial (and of course non-commercial) programs here (but not anywhere else in the forum)
heimtueck

Re: VNC Address Book - UltraVNC management (.vnc import/expo

Post by heimtueck »

Hi @all,

sorry for not answering your questions for a while now. I was busy with other Projects (in my real life) and didn't had much time for VNC Address Book coding.

I will try to implement all functions that you suggested. In fact I also need this features like:

Start scripts remotely
Ultravnc Remote installation
Remote Logoff, Shutdown, Restart
Remote command prompt,
Variable .vnc file locations

also I promise to fix the problem with Vista, where you cant register .vnc Files with the vncviewer.exe (no registry access allowed, will put the path in the config file)

Please give me some time to implement and test this. I don't like releasing untested software.

If you have more suggestions or code you like to have implemented please post it here or send me an email to vncaddressbook@ehrlich24.de

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions,

Igor
Coffmans

Post by Coffmans »

I noticed this was mentioned in an earlier post but I, too, am encountering an issue with passwords larger than 8 characters. The error message is:

"Password is too long. VNC passwords with more than 8 characters are not accepted."

Any ideas how to get around this problem?

[/img]
heimtueck

Post by heimtueck »

UltraVNC only supports password with max 8 Chars. If you provide passwords with more chars (which you can do in UltraVNC Viewer) only the first 8 are used. There is nothing that vnc Address Book can do thats why I limited the Passwords to 8 chars by default. This is a limitation of UltraVNC (and all other vncs as I know).

But UltraVNC is still open source so change the relevant code in UltraVNC :)

Igor
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

Is This tool still under development ???

havent seen any action in this thread for a while, and i really do love the App.
heimtueck wrote:Hi @all,
also I promise to fix the problem with Vista, where you cant register .vnc Files with the vncviewer.exe (no registry access allowed, will put the path in the config file)
Perhaps you could look to just use a local vncviewer.exe, and incororate the command line parameters to use the .VNC files. (such as "vncviewer.exe -8greycolors -config myvncserver.vnc"). this way it isolates having to use the registry

Perhaps also you could allow commandline parameters to be personalised using an INI file or such.
Last edited by JDaus on 2007-08-12 08:22, edited 2 times in total.
ask a silly question and remain a fool for 5 minutes...
don't ask, and remain a fool for life - JDaus 2003

without imperfections, neither you nor i would exist - Steven Hawkins
__
JD
SCPrompt - OpenSource Free Remote Screen\Desktop Sharing Solution
SecureTech.com.au
heimtueck

Post by heimtueck »

JDaus wrote:Is This tool still under development ???

havent seen any action in this thread for a while, and i really do love the App.
Hi,

yes I'm still working on the tool. There will be a Beta soon. I am implementing many new featurs and that takes a while, as I'm working alone on that project.
JDaus wrote:
heimtueck wrote:Hi @all,
Perhaps you could look to just use a local vncviewer.exe, and incororate the command line parameters to use the .VNC files. (such as "vncviewer.exe -8greycolors -config myvncserver.vnc"). this way it isolates having to use the registry

Perhaps also you could allow commandline parameters to be personalised using an INI file or such.

I already fixed this problem in the new version but that was not the biggest issue. I don't want to make the next version public until it isn't stable enough.

Igor
kal10bach

Post by kal10bach »

we are waiting :)
patiently :D
patient :|
patien :-]
patie :(
pati :cry:
pat :roll:

:wink:
UncleBic

Post by UncleBic »

Feature and site request.

When I saw this I thought that this is a great idea. I've used Kaboodle and it's ok but only really for a local network, and I work on several remote locations. During the installation of the VNC Address Book it reinstalled the UltraVNC that I already had installed AND reset all of my server settings for the VNC such as port number and if I want to accept or refuse as if I hadn't installed before. The installer opened up a command box that was open for some time during the install and went away after the setup. I would have liked to be asked if I wanted the UltraVNC installed or a find the installation. On my computer the Windows install is on the "E" drive/partition and maybe that had something to with it not finding the original set up. I downloaded from the SourceForge site and didn't see anything about there being just a stand alone exe vs an installer, I probably would have been fine with a program that just runs from its own folder. In fact that might be a good project to add for portable apps. If all the shortcuts could be imported to a stand alone exe and then copied to a portable apps file with some sort of strong password to access it.

Once it was installed I imported every shortcut I already had saved by using the "highlight and shift/end" to get all. That worked fine. Once open I would like to be able to sort all of the links with a right click sort by name, able to drag more than one link to a new group at a time with a "Ctrl" if needed.

All this sounds like a lot of bitchin', but really just observations from someone who is very anal. Really I love the idea of this program and understand that it seems to be early in the development and not being a coder and just a user, I'm grateful for all the productivity I gain from all the apps like this.
dowiew

Post by dowiew »

Hmmm... the is no View-only option :-(
Do I really have to connect with full control to switch to view-only?
I know I can Edit an entry and select view-only but why to edit every time I want to connect?
Please let me chose the way I want to connect. Let it be toolbar selectable or right-click option, whatever.
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

dowiew wrote:Hmmm... the is no View-only option :-(
If you run VNCAddressBook from the one machine all the time (and not as a portable app), you could setup the commandline for .vnc files to do whatever you want. (if the commandline option exists) I have set up mine with the common password and

this can be done
Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder options > File Types Tab > .vnc files
Click Advanced > Edit

Then i added the following commandline options to the end of the "Application used to perform action" (after \vncviewer.exe" -config "%1");

Code: Select all

-encoding tight -compresslevel 9 -quality 0 -4greycolors -noauto -password ********
(you may want to add -viewonly to that list)

i mostly use it accross the internet for support ... thus i wanted the 4 greycolours

more info on command line options is here : http://www.uvnc.com/install/cmdline.html

Hope this helps, and im waiting patiently for the newest version.

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
UncleBic

Post by UncleBic »

Some requests for the next version.

Option to password protect the VNC shortcuts folder and or move it. Or make the option to move it after or during the install. I already had many VNC shortcuts saved in a folder on a different partition and would like to have had the option to locate it during the install.

When creating a new connection. Wait until clicking on the save button to actually save when switching tabs, otherwise you have to save when switching between each tab.

Exporting - I would like to be able to export all or select multiple shortcuts or folders at once using ctrl and selecting what I want.

Also when I minimize it, I get a small explorer bar that floats in my second monitor. Do you think you could have an option in the prefs to minimize to tray as optional? That way if this is a problem with certain types of video cards then it wouldn't be a problem just to minimize to the taskbar as usual. I have an nVidia video card and run XP Pro. Hope that helps. If you want screen shots I can send that or post it too.

Maybe an option to start with Windows.

Option to "check for updates".

I went ahead and posted screen shots. It's Picasa so feel free to download them.
http://picasaweb.google.com/UncleBic/Sc ... ddressBook

Those are about all I can think of for now.
Thanks,
Vic
Last edited by UncleBic on 2007-09-30 04:34, edited 1 time in total.
ctbstrong

Post by ctbstrong »

I use vnc address book version 1.4.1.79. Some problems maybe bugs. Please check and fix later.

1. Using mouse select any connection icon, then do right click -> Connect -> Explorer no connect to remote computer. But using toolbar Connect is ok.

2. I use Quick Connect or Add Connection, input address like "\\1234\abc" in IP field, it appear exception error.

Thank your tool, it's a good thing.

[/img]
kal10bach

Post by kal10bach »

anything new out there?

georg
CAOgdin

Post by CAOgdin »

How is it, Igor, that the version at Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=192271) is Verion 1.4.1.79, while there is a Version 1.4.1.80 at SoftPedia (http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/V ... 92670.html)?

How do we know which one is valid and/or most robust? What is the preferred primary download site for your product?
bvn13

Post by bvn13 »

Hi! Could you fix a bug with duplicating of VNC_AB processes? One abook is working, but another don't see the first and also starts...
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

bvn13 wrote:Hi! Could you fix a bug with duplicating of VNC_AB processes? One abook is working, but another don't see the first and also starts...
This application is not actively maintained ...

check the dates of the last post by the owner ... it has been a year or two since he was working on it i think ...

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
heimtueck

Post by heimtueck »

Hi All,

I just want to tell you that I'm still here. Because of other real life projects, I had no time to work on the Tool for a year now. But I'm planing to start working on this again in a few weeks. There already exists a Beta 2.0 which has lots of new features implemented. I will try to cancel and remove all features that are not working correctly and release the Beta as soon as possible.

Igor
theertsa

Post by theertsa »

Can someone please let me know the .VNC file hierarchy for a ultra VNC connections.

Pret immobilier
kal10bach

Post by kal10bach »

heimtueck wrote:Hi All,

I will try to cancel and remove all features that are not working correctly and release the Beta as soon as possible.

Igor
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
the expecting queue

georg :shock:
kal10bach

Post by kal10bach »

anything new?
anything going on?

i can't wait using the new version
;-)
ithotline

Re: Some Feature Requests

Post by ithotline »

JDaus wrote:awesome (on the new settings screen) ...

Feature Requests ....
3) add setting for optional file storage location (such as a network share)

Reasoning
3) using network sharing and offline files, all techs would be able to get any additional changes without even knowing about it.
PLS,
it is very necessary :)
aheavin

Post by aheavin »

Please add support for 9 digit passwords. We use ultra vnc servers with 9 digit passwords.
redge

Post by redge »

Please add support for 9 digit passwords. We use ultra vnc servers with 9 digit passwords.
vnc 3.3 password is 8 digit, all above are ignored.
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
kal10bach

Post by kal10bach »

anybody out there?
:| :cry:
nonameforme

Post by nonameforme »

Is it possible to translate into Russian?
Sorry, I write a Google translate.
kal10bach

vnc adress book -> dir .vnc files stored in

Post by kal10bach »

vnc adress book
hi,
does anybody know, whether there is an option to change the default path for the stored configuration host-files?
i use this great tool on several machines and it would be great, to have for example a dropbox account as one base for all.

thanx

georg
Last edited by kal10bach on 2010-12-16 05:54, edited 1 time in total.