Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Silent Install of VNC

stevenw7159

Silent Install of VNC

Post by stevenw7159 »

My Company uses Kace's Kbox 1100 to manage our PCs. The kbox comes with a script to install Ultra VNC 1.0.5.6. We have run into issues of this version lagging a lot. So we manually installed 1.0.9.6.1 and it fixed the issues. So now we are trying to install that version instead of the ones Kace sent. What I am wanting to know what is the command to make a VNC install silent. Kace's 1.0.5.6 version has "/loadinf="$(KACE_DEPENDENCY_DIR)\ultravnc.inf" /verysilent"[/b] but the very silent does not work. It still shows the progress bar of having to downlaod the mirror driver.
Prisma

Re: Silent Install of VNC

Post by Prisma »

just an idea:
uvnc has no need to be installed. a self-extracting EXE and one single command to register vnc-server as a system service should be enough. as long as you need no links (and even this could be done by script...).
dogfish182

Post by dogfish182 »

stevenw7159 wrote:My Company uses Kace's Kbox 1100 to manage our PCs. The kbox comes with a script to install Ultra VNC 1.0.5.6. We have run into issues of this version lagging a lot. So we manually installed 1.0.9.6.1 and it fixed the issues. So now we are trying to install that version instead of the ones Kace sent. What I am wanting to know what is the command to make a VNC install silent. Kace's 1.0.5.6 version has "/loadinf="$(KACE_DEPENDENCY_DIR)\ultravnc.inf" /verysilent"[/b] but the very silent does not work. It still shows the progress bar of having to downlaod the mirror driver.
have you tried 'vnced' ?

it has an MSI packager, where you can set all the options you want, then makes a nice bundled MSI for you (which you can then make a managed deployment for with the /quiet switch)
http://vnced.sourceforge.net/

that way you can get the vnc service running on the machine and can set all the options like making it totally invisible to the user before hand. it's very handy.
stevenw7159

Post by stevenw7159 »

I will try both of these and see if either one fixes my issue, thank you for your help.
mkruger

Post by mkruger »

I just ran into this.

Until now, I have been deploying a server only silent install and never had a problem passing the switches for an INNO based installer (see http://www.jrsoftware.org/ishelp/). For VNC specific parameters, they are contained in an install.inf file specified by my install script. My installations have been fully silent, and my automated installer package even supplies the mirror driver and installs it using devcon.exe. No fancy customized installers here, just a folder of files and a batch script doing it's magic.

Now I need to deploy a full installation with both viewer and server...and am experiencing the aforementioned popup window to download the mirror driver. While the popup window is an annoyance which could probably be tolerated, the subsequent Symantec Firewall popup needs to be manually acknowledged. This of course is a big problem.

It would seem the issue is caused by the install.inf parameter "SetupType=full" as using "SetupType=server_silent" does not attempt to download the mirror driver.

A possible work around for this is to perform 2 installations, one right after the other. First do a silent server installation, followed by a viewer only installation. Naturally this means creating two different scripted installations, each with their own unique install.inf.

Update: I just confirmed this works.
mkruger

Post by mkruger »

Note: My script runs from the root of C:\ and looks for the UVNC setup program in a folder named UVNC, also located on the root of the C:\ drive. There are 2 sub-folders, one for the mirror drivers (and devcon), the second folder gets copied into place and contains the settings file ultravnc.ini. At the end of the script, everything is cleaned up.

Hope this help.

install.cmd

Code: Select all

@echo off
::remove old version if it exists
"%systemdrive%\Program Files\UltraVNC\unins000.exe" /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /NORESTART
rmdir /S /Q "%systemdrive%\Program Files\UltraVNC"

::Copy preconfigured settings file into place
mkdir "%systemdrive%\Program Files\UltraVNC"
copy %systemdrive%\UVNC\UltraVNC\ultravnc.ini "%systemdrive%\Program Files\UltraVNC\"

:: Install UltraVNC Server
%systemdrive%\UVNC\UltraVNC_1.0.9.6.1_Setup.exe /SP- /VERYSILENT /NORESTART /LOADINF=%systemdrive%\UVNC\install_server.inf

::Install the UVNC Server Service
"%systemdrive%\Program Files\UltraVNC\winvnc.exe" -install

::Load (or reload) the UVNC Mirror driver
%systemdrive%\UVNC\UVNCDriver\devcon.exe install %systemdrive%\UVNC\uvncdriver\mv2.inf mv_hook_display_driver2

::Wait for processes to complete
@ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 5000

::Install UltraVNC Viewer
%systemdrive%\UVNC\UltraVNC_1.0.9.6.1_Setup.exe /SP- /VERYSILENT /NORESTART /LOADINF=%systemdrive%\UVNC\install_viewer.inf

::Clean up install files
rmdir /S /Q %systemdrive%\UVNC
del %0
install_server.inf

[Setup]
Lang=en
Dir=C:\Program Files\UltraVNC
Group=UltraVNC
NoIcons=0
SetupType=server_silent
Components=ultravnc_server_s
install_viewer.inf

[Setup]
Lang=en
Group=UltraVNC
NoIcons=0
SetupType=viewer
Components=ultravnc_viewer
B

Post by B »

I still don't quite grok why installation needs to be so painful for Windows programs. Copy files, create shortcuts, modify permissions as necessary, and merge registry entries. What else gets in the way (other than UAC crapola)?

That said, your workaround looks great, mkruger.
monday8848

Post by monday8848 »

Hi, I also have mirror deploy issue. I can silent install VNc, but mirror driver can't install. I download mirror drive and put it in D:\Driver folder. I already try below steps, But both them can't work, Can everybody help me on this?
1: D:\Driver\setupdrv.exe install D:\Driver\driver\mv2.inf mv_hook_display_driver2

2: D:\Driver\setupdrv.exe install

3: D:\driver\install.bat

4: D:\Driver\install_silent.bat

thanks
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

did you installed it as admin ?
open cmd "runas admin"
goto D:\driver
install.bat
monday8848

Post by monday8848 »

thanks, I'll give up use mirror drive now. It's just waste some CPU, I use 1.0.9.6.2 32bit package install to Win7 32bit,win7 64bit and xp 32bit. It’s run well.
mkruger

Post by mkruger »

While I don't know about Windows 7, I can say with great certainty using the mirror driver drastically reduces CPU usage on Windows XP.
muaddlb

Post by muaddlb »

mkruger wrote:Note: My script runs from the root of C:\ and looks for the UVNC setup program in a folder named UVNC, also located on the root of the C:\ drive. There are 2 sub-folders, one for the mirror drivers (and devcon), the second folder gets copied into place and contains the settings file ultravnc.ini. At the end of the script, everything is cleaned up.

Hope this help.
I've updated your batch for infrastructure with Windows 7 x86/x64 and Windows XP x86:

::Old version removal if it exists 
"%systemdrive%\Program Files\UltraVNC\unins000.exe" /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /NORESTART
rmdir /S /Q "%systemdrive%\Program Files\UltraVNC"

::UVNC Installation
if not exist %systemdrive%\UVNC\ md %systemdrive%\UVNC\
xcopy \\"your share"\UVNC %systemdrive%\UVNC\ /y /s

if %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% == AMD64 goto ver_x64
if %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% == x86 goto ver_x86

:ver_x64
	%systemdrive%\UVNC\UltraVNC_X64_Setup.exe /SP- /VERYSILENT /NORESTART /LOADINF=%systemdrive%\UVNC\setup.inf
	goto serv

:ver_x86	
	%systemdrive%\UVNC\UltraVNC_X86_Setup.exe /SP- /VERYSILENT /NORESTART /LOADINF=%systemdrive%\UVNC\setup.inf

:serv
::UVNC Server Service Installation
cacls "%systemdrive%\Program Files\UltraVNC" /T /E /G Everyone:F
copy "%systemdrive%\UVNC\ultravnc.ini" "%systemdrive%\Program Files\UltraVNC"
"%systemdrive%\Program Files\UltraVNC\winvnc.exe" -install

::UVNC Mirror driver installation
certutil.exe -addstore "TrustedPublisher" %systemdrive%\UVNC\uvnc.cer

ver | find "XP" > nul
if %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 goto xp

ver | find "6.1" > nul
if %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 goto win7

:xp	
	start %systemdrive%\UVNC\driver\xp\install.bat
	goto exit

:win7
	if %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% == x86 start %systemdrive%\UVNC\driver\vista\install.bat

if %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% == AMD64 start %systemdrive%\UVNC\driver\vista64\install.bat

:exit

::Timeout
PING -n 60 127.0.0.1>nul

::Install files clean up
rmdir /S /Q %systemdrive%\UVNC

del %0
Setup.inf

[Setup]
Lang=en
Group=UltraVNC
NoIcons=0
SetupType=server_silent
Components=ultravnc_server_s
UltraVNC.ini

[admin]
UseRegistry=0
MSLogonRequired=0
NewMSLogon=0
DebugMode=2
Avilog=0
path=C:\Program Files\UltraVNC
kickrdp=0
service_commandline=
DebugLevel=10
DisableTrayIcon=1
rdpmode=0
LoopbackOnly=0
UseDSMPlugin=0
AllowLoopback=1
AuthRequired=1
ConnectPriority=0
DSMPlugin=No Plugin Detected
AuthHosts=
AllowShutdown=1
AllowProperties=1
AllowEditClients=1
FileTransferEnabled=1
FTUserImpersonation=1
BlankMonitorEnabled=1
BlankInputsOnly=0
DefaultScale=1
SocketConnect=1
HTTPConnect=1
AutoPortSelect=1
PortNumber=5900
HTTPPortNumber=5800
IdleTimeout=0
IdleInputTimeout=0
RemoveWallpaper=0
RemoveAero=0
QuerySetting=1
QueryTimeout=10
QueryAccept=0
QueryIfNoLogon=0
primary=1
secondary=0
InputsEnabled=1
LockSetting=0
LocalInputsDisabled=0
EnableJapInput=1
FileTransferTimeout=1
clearconsole=0
accept_reject_mesg=
KeepAliveInterval=5
[UltraVNC]
passwd=
passwd2=
[poll]
TurboMode=1
PollUnderCursor=0
PollForeground=0
PollFullScreen=1
OnlyPollConsole=0
OnlyPollOnEvent=0
EnableDriver=1
EnableHook=1
EnableVirtual=0
SingleWindow=0
SingleWindowName=
MaxCpu=40
uvnc.cer

Don't forget to place your shared path insted of "your share" in batch script.