Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

SC + Vista Compatibility - WORKING!!!!!!

Single Click discussions / bugs
pallebone

Re: SC + Vista Compatibility - WORKING!!!!!!

Post by pallebone »

Is there any version of SC that allows you to interact with the UAC prompts (allow cancel). the version I have lets you see the prompt but not click allow or cancel...

pete
VNCFreak

Post by VNCFreak »

Thanks again for all your guy's hard work with this. But I was wondering if someone could explain how to use Caramel's zip's from his first post. He mentions that there's a readme file included, but I can't see one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers

*edit* - Nevermind... got it figured out!
Last edited by VNCFreak on 2008-07-07 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
cbraxton

Post by cbraxton »

I tried the "ultravnc_sc_noaero_7zipSfxVersion" single-click with Vista and it works great, super work guys!

One thing I noticed, not a big deal, is that the generated uvnc_sc.exe file does not display a custom icon when placed on the desktop. (It does use the custom icon1.ico and icon2.ico for the system tray when connected, just not displayed for the .exe file itself.)

Is there a way to have the .exe show a custom icon with this setup? Thanks again!
BigAl.NZ

Post by BigAl.NZ »

On some computers, right after I see the severs screen for about a second I get disconnected. On other computers (with Vista) it works.

Anyone know why?

Cheers
-Al
cbraxton

Post by cbraxton »

I figured out the icon issue in the "7zipsfx" version.

It turns out that the icon displayed by the generated SC program is embedded in the file Bin/7zsd.sfx. This is the executable that extracts the SC components, so I temporarily renamed it "7zsd.sfx.exe" and used the Resource Hacker program (Bin/ResHack/ResHacker.exe) to change the icon.

Then it was simply a matter of renaming the file back to 7zsd.sfx and running the compile.cmd script. The resulting uvnc_sc.exe program displays the customized icon.
littlepaws

Post by littlepaws »

works brilliantly over lan not tried wan lan yet....

Is there a way to implement some kind of log and timer within this.

For example:

Remote Session
Date: 09/07/2008
start session time. 10:00
End Session time. 11:00
Client: berty lasptop
Email: berty@whatever.com
Fault: word not opening
Solution: [solved]

Ive seen Dawft SCCHAT, and have tried it but it does not work?

need something simple, that works with SC_VNC_Autoit

Is it possible to get SCCHAT to work with SC_VNC_Autoit ? or any other way to record information from a session ?
Last edited by littlepaws on 2008-07-09 11:34, edited 5 times in total.
littlepaws

Post by littlepaws »

Is this project / hread still active?

Is there any support for SC_VNC_Autoit >? am i in the wrong thread?
edjack

compile requires helpdesk.txt

Post by edjack »

I used the "compile.cmd" to create my .exe file but it will NOT run unless the "helpdesk.txt" file is in the same folder.
Is this normal?

Ed
Radeon

Post by Radeon »

Hi edjack,

No that is not normal. The helpdesk should being in the "SC_VNC_Files" which is a sub directory from where the compile.cmd is.

Have to made any changes to the Compile.cmd or the SC_VNC.au3?

If so, post the contents of either and i will take a look for you.

:D
edjack

Post by edjack »

Radeon wrote:Hi edjack,

No that is not normal. The helpdesk should being in the "SC_VNC_Files" which is a sub directory from where the compile.cmd is.

Have to made any changes to the Compile.cmd or the SC_VNC.au3?

If so, post the contents of either and i will take a look for you.

:D
I think I figured it out. I was in the wrong directory... I'll try again.

tks
Ed
Evileye

Post by Evileye »

BigAl.NZ wrote:On some computers, right after I see the severs screen for about a second I get disconnected. On other computers (with Vista) it works.

Anyone know why?
I too had the same problem and searched high and low for a solution.
What fixed it for me was to download and update to UltraVNC_1.0.4_Setup.exe on the computer doing the listening.

Problem is now fixed and SC is working great on Vista!

Thanks to all who contribute to this great support tool.
Last edited by Evileye on 2008-07-24 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
littlepaws

Post by littlepaws »

Evileye wrote:
BigAl.NZ wrote:On some computers, right after I see the severs screen for about a second I get disconnected. On other computers (with Vista) it works.

Anyone know why?
I too had the same problem and searched high and low for a solution.
What fixed it for me was to download and update to UltraVNC_1.0.4_Setup.exe on the computer doing the listening.

Problem is now fixed and SC is working great on Vista!

Thanks to all who contribute to this great support tool.
Run autoit to create sc.exe for clients

Installed latest UltraVNC_1.0.4_Setup.exe

Ran shortcut from my desktop

"C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\vncviewer.exe" -listen

My connection all ok, but it was extremely slow a good 15 sec delay ?

Am i doing anything wrong?
Radeon

Post by Radeon »

How to you mean you used autoit to create the sc.exe for clients?

Do you mean you downloaded the SC_VNC_Autoit and used that to create the SC.exe?
littlepaws

Post by littlepaws »

Radeon wrote:How to you mean you used autoit to create the sc.exe for clients?

Do you mean you downloaded the SC_VNC_Autoit and used that to create the SC.exe?
Yes
Radeon

Post by Radeon »

And can you confirm that the desktop composition had been turned off? (as in no Aero transparency)

We do sometimes find that the aero doesn't turn off correctly meaning you get the connection but it is slow in responding, just as you say.
Sainsuper

Post by Sainsuper »

I had the same problem, i have a little solution that work for me, using listen switch:

vncviewer.exe -quickoption 4 -dotcursor -listen

the quality is low, bat work.
BlueKit

Post by BlueKit »

delete
Last edited by BlueKit on 2008-08-06 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
littlepaws

Post by littlepaws »

Is it possible to have a autoreconnect with SC and also Encript it.

If so how?

using UltraVNC_1.0.4_RC17_Setup winVNC listener -quickoption 4 -dotcursor -listen

I want to create a SC AUTOIT autoreconnect encripted..

THanks in advance
BigAl.NZ

Post by BigAl.NZ »

Hi guys,

Look I gotta say, I love SC. Its bloody bloody handy.

BUT I do have one bug bear, I still are having problems with XP Viewer -> Vista (Server)

On the viewer side (Win XP), as soon as i get the first screen draw, the viewer client closes without any warning.

I have tried it with various vista computers, some computers it always seems to work, some computers it doesnt (not sure if this is something to do with the specific computer, or its entirely random)

Anyway I thought it might be something to do with my computer so I did a test in safe mode, and the same thing happened (viewer closes on first screen redraw).

So its nothing I am running.

I am on the ultravnc_sc_noaero_AutoItVersion.zip version and on the viewer side are running VC1.04RC17.

I am more than happy to help with some debugging, but I am not a programmer, so if someone can help out with a debug version I will run it.

Please help,

Cheers

-Al
BigAl.NZ

Post by BigAl.NZ »

Hi guys,

Look I gotta say, I love SC. Its bloody bloody handy.

BUT I do have one bug bear, I still are having problems with XP Viewer -> Vista (Server)

On the viewer side (Win XP), as soon as i get the first screen draw, the viewer client closes without any warning.

I have tried it with various vista computers, some computers it always seems to work, some computers it doesnt (not sure if this is something to do with the specific computer, or its entirely random)

Anyway I thought it might be something to do with my computer so I did a test in safe mode, and the same thing happened (viewer closes on first screen redraw).

So its nothing I am running.

I am on the ultravnc_sc_noaero_AutoItVersion.zip version and on the viewer side are running VC1.04RC17.

I am more than happy to help with some debugging, but I am not a programmer, so if someone can help out with a debug version I will run it.

Please help,

Cheers

-Al
Last edited by BigAl.NZ on 2008-08-12 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
datarunner

Post by datarunner »

hi all

sorry if these questions have been asked b4

i downloaded the 7zipnoareo version

so am i right in saying that i just alter the helpdesk.txt to suit my needs then click build?

also i get the following error when testing:

Connection failed - Invalid protocol

Possible causes:

You've forgotten to select a DSMPlugin and the Server uses a DSMPlugin
- Viewer and Server are not compatible

any ideas?
JohnZS

Post by JohnZS »

Datarunner
Have you got a firewall running on the PC you are having problems with?
It seems something is blocking the VNC port as I have seen this with other VNC based programs to,
Some firewalls like Naughty Nortons or Mccaffrey's do not always prompt the end user when they are "blocking" a potentially malicious program accessing the internet.

What makes things worse is that this behaviour varies from OS to OS and even incremental version of the Firewall Software.

E.g. some versions of Norton's 360 on Windows Vista are just not friendly with VNC, yet other versions of Norton 360 on Windows Vista just let VNC through...even without prompting the end user.

Sloppy Software Firewalls full of bloatware...IMHO are more of a hindrance than a form of protection from "hackers".

You can't beat a well coded software firewall (ESET or Kaspersky Lab) or Hardware Firewall Solution (SIP on a router/gateway or a a fancy £60K [SPAM] box based system), until end users realise this Naughty Nortons and the McCaffery's collective will cause practically every IT support Department to rant, and swear collectively at least 47 times a week.

Kind Regards

John
"He who controls the past controls the future, he who controls the present controls the past....."
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

hey all,

thanks to everyone that has been invloved in this thread.

I took the autoit version and implemented it into VNC2Me - remote support over the internet via middle ssh server

I have confirmed that it works on vista, but would like feeback on the whole application (does it work or not, does the vista support work for you ... etc) feeback can be provided on the vnc2me site or in the post in [topic=12784]related products[/topic] post
Last edited by JDaus on 2009-01-10 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
ask a silly question and remain a fool for 5 minutes...
don't ask, and remain a fool for life - JDaus 2003

without imperfections, neither you nor i would exist - Steven Hawkins
__
JD
SCPrompt - OpenSource Free Remote Screen\Desktop Sharing Solution
SecureTech.com.au
sol

Post by sol »

Hello,
thank you very much for this thread. Both solutions from the first post work, but i have problems setting up an encryptet connection using SC_VNC_AutoIt.rar. Simply placing a rc4.key in the SC_VNC_Files directory doesn't work. There is no readme included, so i don't know what to do (edit SC_VNC.au3???). Would be nice to get some help here.
And BTW, which solution is "better"? Or doesn't it make any difference?

SOL
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

sol wrote:i have problems setting up an encryptet connection using SC_VNC_AutoIt.rar. Simply placing a rc4.key in the SC_VNC_Files directory doesn't work.
your right ...

Code: Select all

FileInstall( "SC_VNC_Files\MSRC4Plugin.dsm", @TempDir & "\SC_VNC_Temp_Files\MSRC4Plugin.dsm", 1 )
tell the autoit script to run package (and extract) the dsm plugin, but there isn't a key file line. i would suggest that below that line (given above) you add something like this:

Code: Select all

FileInstall( "SC_VNC_Files\rc4.key", @TempDir & "\SC_VNC_Temp_Files\rc4.key", 1 )
hope this helps

*NOTE* i have not tested this in any way shape or form... but it should work for you.
ask a silly question and remain a fool for 5 minutes...
don't ask, and remain a fool for life - JDaus 2003

without imperfections, neither you nor i would exist - Steven Hawkins
__
JD
SCPrompt - OpenSource Free Remote Screen\Desktop Sharing Solution
SecureTech.com.au
sol

Post by sol »

Thank you!!!!! Encryption works now :)

Would be nice to see this hint in a readme.txt.

SOL
networkn

Post by networkn »

Hi There!

I have downloaded the version posted a few pages back (Perhaps the latest url could be made sticky or something) and 1.05 on the server side. On SOME pc's it turns off Aero and others it doesn't and I am not sure why. Both the two I tried were notebooks.
siloseth

Post by siloseth »

Are there any known compatibility issues with Windows Home Premium?

I'm trying to deploy the 7zip method for use by my company of 70+ developers and support staff. It worked like a charm for my sample pool of staff over a week and a half, so I deployed it to the whole group.

Unfortunately, two of my guys immediately ran into a problem with vista_sc.exe not responding when starting the host app. The only conditions under which I can duplicate this are when the host is running Vista Business/Ultimate and the user isn't an admin on the box or Vista Home Premium regardless of administrative privileges.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Have any of you guys had success in getting it to work on Vista Home Premium (or below)?

Please advise. As it stands now, we're dead in the water when it comes to using remote support for customers running Vista.

Thanks for any advice!
Last edited by siloseth on 2008-11-04 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
johnhct

Post by johnhct »

Thanks to all who have worked on this. Its fantastic.

We just have one issue.

Last month we receated an SC version using SC_VNC_7z. We are also having a problem with aero not turning off every time. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. (I wonder if it has to do with the Vista Service Pack. I'll try to find out more on that.)

Anyway, in the meantime, would it be worthwhile for us to upload aero.exe to those users. Would simply double clicking it turn aero off?

Thanks.
Radeon

Post by Radeon »

Hi johnhct

It would turn off aero, but the only way to turn it back on is to kill the aero.exe on the process list.

It sounds more like the aero.exe is being blocked its self. We have had this issue before. It seems that even tho the autoit script requires admin, it doesnt always work. I would suggest you get the remote user to try right clicking on the sc and run it as an administrator and see what you get.

Cheers,