Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

SC + Vista Compatibility - WORKING!!!!!!

Single Click discussions / bugs
JaleXNet

Re: SC + Vista Compatibility - WORKING!!!!!!

Post by JaleXNet »

don't work...

" Sorry, that page cannot be found "

:(
.CL
JohnZS

Post by JohnZS »

JaleXNet wrote:
don't work...

Pgmoney's link didn't work for me either :(
I was looking forward to try that out as I have been an avid fan of Caramal and Radeon's Single Click application.

Does anyone know of a single click which works on Vista, disables the fancy dan 3d effects and has file transfer, chat and also computer name and IP displayed?

Also how about sending the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys?

The only criticism I have of C&R's SC is that the computer name is not displayed and it in some cases the colours are not reduced in low bandwidth situations.

Any sollutions?

Greta, do you have any source you wish to share?
I was thinking if we all pool resources in this thread we maybe able to make a pretty damn good Single Click application, perhaps start a thread for ideas and code?
so the likes of Radeon, Caramel, Pgmoney et al can all share ideas etc and then produce a suitable succesor to the age old "Single Click".

I must admit I'm not a fan of the PCHelpware, so confusing, and doesn't have anything single click about it.

Radeon
With regards to the source, we are not going to be releasing it publicly for the time being as there is a company (which we bought our support software from) which would benefit from this allot and to be honest, we don’t want to do them any favours.
Correct me if I am wrong, but VNC is OpenSource yes?
How ARE bandits allowed to get away with this?.... VNC is OpenSource?!?

Anyway keep up the good work everyone.
Have a good weekend
~JZS~

[mod=494,1201340936]updated pgmoney name, sorry to late.[/mod]
Last edited by JohnZS on 2008-01-26 09:48, edited 2 times in total.
"He who controls the past controls the future, he who controls the present controls the past....."
pgmoney

Post by pgmoney »

JohnZS wrote:
JaleXNet wrote:
don't work...

The file has been removed as scheduled, it won't be updated.
JaleXNet

Post by JaleXNet »

Caramel wrote:just cleaned my autoit version for realease..
  • - uses radeon's aero.exe (renamed to aero_disable.exe as aero.exe has potential to conflict and 'taskkill /im aero.exe' could kill a process that we didn't mean to kill)
  • - Disables 'PromptOnSecureDesktop' and also 'ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin' (if user is an admin effectivly disables UAC till we disconnect - if user is 'user' UAC still prompts but is visable)
  • - uses AutoIt (http://www.autoitscript.com) to package and drop (also detects vista at this point and runs the batch file accordingly)
  • - The autoit wrapper allows for the exe to be replaced while you are connected (ie you can upgrade the sc_vnc.exe to include new helpdesk.txt or whatever)
Download:
http://sydflexi.dyndns.org/release/down ... ersion.zip

:-)
perfect on Vista Ultimate... 8)
.CL
JohnZS

Post by JohnZS »

Why not remove the link instead of putting up some duff file with a txt in?
I tell you, it's enough to make you go mad downloading that file several times thinking it got truncated or something...

[mod=494,1201297803]removed image unrelated to subject and quote of quote[/mod]

~JZS~
Last edited by JohnZS on 2008-01-25 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
"He who controls the past controls the future, he who controls the present controls the past....."
redge

Post by redge »

UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
pgmoney

Post by pgmoney »

JohnZS wrote:Why not remove the link instead of putting up some duff file with a txt in?
I tell you, it's enough to make you go mad downloading that file several times thinking it got truncated or something...
You had way too much spare time and nothing better to do anyway...
Radeon

Post by Radeon »

pgmoney wrote:
JohnZS wrote:Why not remove the link instead of putting up some duff file with a txt in?
has helping people and working together with people ever come to mind for you pgmoney?

it seems not...
Last edited by Radeon on 2008-01-25 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
pgmoney

Post by pgmoney »

X, if you're not X you need to recompile your program... Do you really feel repeatedly calling me "Pig" Money should put me in a more helping mood? There is not an "i" in my initials, and the auto-quote headers don't alter themselves. So somebody has way too much spare time if they have nothing better to do than change peoples names to something inflamatory...

This is my last post on this subject, I'm Irish and this could really get out of hand if it continues.

Phil Money

[onlymod]
Radeon wrote:has helping people and working together with people ever come to mind for you pgmoney?

it seems not...
John (aka Radeon? JohnZs? same? both?), if you're not John (*John & last name is in compiled Aero.exe) you need to recompile your program... Do you really feel repeatedly calling me "Pig" Money should put me in a more helping mood? There is not an "i" in my initials, and the auto-quote headers don't alter themselves. So somebody has way too much spare time if they have nothing better to do than change peoples names to something inflamatory...

This is my last post on this subject, I'm Irish and this could really get out of hand if it continues.

Phil Money
[/onlymod]
[mod=2,1201353314]Removed/modified the part which could reveal the real name of one of the posters.[/mod]
Last edited by pgmoney on 2008-01-26 04:48, edited 6 times in total.
Oliver
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by Oliver »

Alrigthty fellows, all of you. This is not a Kindergarten, nor is it a sandbox where you throw each other sand in the eyes or call each other by "funny" names. This is a technical forum!

From the IP location I can't falsify or verify the claim that the two users are the same. I can only tell that one of them has consistently used the same IP at the same location, while the other one has used different locations. But you know the fuzziness of Geo-IP lookup tools.

In any case, please refrain from calling someone by the real name, unless that person has used the real name before here in the public forum (in which case it can be considered public knowledge).
I take the liberty of removing that particular part from your post (in the parentheses), Phil. I hope you understand, Phil, "Radeon" and others.

Please feel free to continue the topic, but if you have non-technical issues, discuss them in the offtopic section or via personal message.

Thanks,
Oliver

How to Report Bugs Effectively
My homepage | WinDirStat
PGP-keys:
  • Forum or UltraVNC-related: 0xA2DD1DBD, E18B 2E2F 4F3E D143 4ED4 3E2B E172 FB55 A2DD 1DBD
  • Other matters: 0x0E88590F, 38B5 5EBA A470 C0F7 0942 81B8 C779 D829 0E88 590F
Oliver
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by Oliver »

Back to the topic:
JohnZS wrote:
With regards to the source, we are not going to be releasing it publicly for the time being as there is a company (which we bought our support software from) which would benefit from this allot and to be honest, we don’t want to do them any favours.
Correct me if I am wrong, but VNC is OpenSource yes?
How ARE bandits allowed to get away with this?.... VNC is OpenSource?!?
Bundling GPL software with non-GPL software is not enough to "infect" the non-GPL software. However, linking makes the difference here. So if this had been linked, fine, you can contact www.gpl-violations.org then. However, they have a huge backlog already as far as I know. And by the way, there are more misconceptions about the GPL.

Modifying GPL'd code doesn't mean you have to make your changed version available. Making the binaries of the modifications available, however, means that you have to make the code available too (at least to those parties that get the binaries).

A GPL'd software doesn't have to be made available by download. Some other media sent by snailmail are just as fine and the author is free to decide. However, the author has to make the source available for five years from the date of release (at least in GPL v2).

What does that mean. If there was a version previously available that was under GPL and it's not been 5 years since the release, the author(s) must provide a way of making it available or point to a location where it can be found (e.g. if only bundling a particular version of GPL software).

The package which has been published under GPL is basically infected with the GPL virus. However, the author can keep (in parallel) his own version and sell it or do whatever s/he likes. The only thing the author has to do in any case is to make the code available to the GPL'd version, since he has given the public the right to use it under the conditions of the GPL for the particular package.

All the above holds only, if the code that is no more available was really under GPL. Which it was only if it linked to GPL code.
Oliver

My homepage | WinDirStat
PGP-keys:
  • Forum or UltraVNC-related: 0xA2DD1DBD, E18B 2E2F 4F3E D143 4ED4 3E2B E172 FB55 A2DD 1DBD
JohnZS

Post by JohnZS »

Hi Oliver

Thanks for clearing up the murkey grey area which surrounds OpenSourceCode. I find it rather confusing that companies such as spam B market Opensource software, without sharing the code and with hardly any differences between the Opensource version and their branded version (in some cases the difference could be as little as an icon change).

I'm not quite sure if you are aware but at the moment there is a big stink going on with a certain motherboard/laptop manufacture (ASUS) breaking the GPL agreement by not distributing the source for their Linux OS based EeePC's and Motherboards with inbuilt Linux embedded OS.

Radeon mentioned something about a company he purchased support software from which may benefit from Opensourced software. So if that company (or any other company) distributed software which was pretty much OpenSource software but they charged money for it (sold OpenSource Software), would they be in direct violation of the GPL?

Thanks

Back to single click. Has anyone found a way to ensure the computer name is displayed either at the top of the screen window? Or via a short cut key?

pgmoney wrote:

:o
I was waiting for some toast to be done at the time, and decided to have a look at a different Single Click application while I was waiting.

Redge

The link does not work, it still points at a zipped up text file with no actual Single Click Application :(

~JZS~
Oliver
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by Oliver »

JohnZS wrote:Radeon mentioned something about a company he purchased support software from which may benefit from Opensourced software. So if that company (or any other company) distributed software which was pretty much OpenSource software but they charged money for it (sold OpenSource Software), would they be in direct violation of the GPL?
I don't think so, if we talk about the binaries with support, for example. They just have to make it available to their customers and the customers are free to share it under GPL. Problem is the same as with Redhat and CentOS ;)
Oliver

My homepage | WinDirStat
PGP-keys:
JohnZS

Post by JohnZS »

Oliver wrote:
JohnZS wrote:Radeon mentioned something about a company he purchased support software from which may benefit from Opensourced software. So if that company (or any other company) distributed software which was pretty much OpenSource software but they charged money for it (sold OpenSource Software), would they be in direct violation of the GPL?
I don't think so, if we talk about the binaries with support, for example. They just have to make it available to their customers and the customers are free to share it under GPL. Problem is the same as with Redhat and CentOS ;)
It makes sense now.
By the way do you have any ideas how to get the computer name to display using single click?
and to enable the functionality of the CAD (Crtl, Alt, Del) shortcut keys?

Caramal and Radeon

I'll llet you guys know next week how your Singclick fairs on a 64Bit Vista OS and a 45nm QuadCore Core2 as my 45nm Quad will be back with me next week as it was RMA'd.

For now I am stuck on an old Socket 478 Northwood on WinXP Pro and it is pretty nippy. For the viewer I am using the latest security patched 1.04 VNC viewer.

Does anyone know of any alternate viewers which might be better?

Perhaps even have the Computer name displayed?

(heh I am like a long playing record with this arn't I)

~JZS~
Caramel

Post by Caramel »

easiest way i have found to get computername is open a cmd promt and type "hostname"

having the computername you are connected to in the statusbar would require code changes to the winvnc.exe and/or the vncviewer.exe niether of which have been modified during the course of this thread.

you could without too much trouble use my autoit wrapper script to place an "always on top" window with the computername in it.

depends on why you want the computername in the first place...
start => run => cmd => hostname
is fast easy and gets you the computername.

as far as cad goes - it might be possible to add the "cad.exe" from the newer 104 winvnc and create a keybinding (again autoit can do that for you - cannot be ctrl-alt-del as keybind tho)

adding these functions to the sc would add a fair bit of size tho.. the size is already near 500k personally i don't want to increase the size too much more as i would like it to be a fast "run from site" download for users that do not have it already.

edit: remove typos :-)
Last edited by Caramel on 2008-01-29 03:58, edited 3 times in total.
JohnZS

Post by JohnZS »

Thanks Caramel
The Computername cmd works a treat :)
I'll have a tinker and a play to see if I can get the Ctrl+Alt+Del working
~JZS~
verybusy

Post by verybusy »

I'm a new poster and I am thrilled to see that something has been created to resolve the issues with SC and Vista.

I have several clients who are moving to Vista over the past couple of months.

I used to use the SCPROMPT2 created by dwalf which allowed me to send the SC file to whoever (on XP) that needed my help. The benefit of SCPROMPT2 was that I didn't have to modify anything if my IP address changed and my customers would simply enter my IP address manually once I told them what it was. Often I'm on the road with my laptop and my IP address is constantly changing.

Is it possible for either Radeon or Caramel to modify their work to include something similar to what was created by dwalf? The original thread by dwalf can be found at the following...

[topic=4530][/topic]

It would be the perfect tool if there was an option for the client to enter my current IP address instead of me having to modify the config file and recreate the exe.

Thanks again for all your work,

Marc
Radeon

Post by Radeon »

As per your request VeryBusy
Is it possible for either Radeon or Caramel to modify their work to include something similar to what was created by dwalf? The original thread by dwalf can be found at the following...
I have included the scprompt.exe into the autoit build and modified the cmd to run it so all you have to do is download and unzip the zip from the link below:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9edds0tq5jd

run the compile.cmd and your good to go with the SC_VNC.exe.

Just give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
verybusy

Post by verybusy »

Thank you!

I'll try it tonight and let you know how it works.

Marc
Radeon

Post by Radeon »

It was a very simple change.

We looked at the post you referred us and worked out the basics.

It runs the scprompt.exe to get the IP and port ect then once the details have been submitted, it calls the winvnc.exe and follows pretty much the same process.

All we had to do was a quick find and replace of winvnc.exe in the winvnc.cmd and replace with scprompt.exe, then add scprompt.exe to the autoit script and that was it.

It may need to be tweaked in places but we haven’t made any changes to the scprompt.exe and tried it our very quickly on vista and it works fine enough.

Like I say, just let us know what you find.

Take it easy!
verybusy

Post by verybusy »

I'm very glad it was a simple change! :)

I'm also thrilled that you were able to get the UltraVNC icon integrated. The original scprompt has some generic Windows icon.

Yesterday I delivered the Vista machine I was working on and, due to a very busy schedule, I didn't have a chance to try out your revised tool on it.

It works great on my kids' XP computers though.

I was curious about something though. There is a window that comes up after connection which says "Cleanup". Is that how you disconnect and start the registry restore process on a Vista machine (assuming that XP doesn't need the registry modifications)? Should it be minimized until just before disconnection?

I should be able to try out the tool this morning as I'll working on a Vista machine. I still haven't decided to use Vista on my personal computer yet.

Thanks again
Radeon

Post by Radeon »

Sorry verybusy,

We didn’t realise that there was a later release further down the thread, we are looking into that on for you now and we will get back to you.

Regards
Radeon

Post by Radeon »

Hi verybusy

I just took a look in my lunch we now have a new build we comes up with a minor error at startup but otherwise works fine without the cleanup bit at the end of the remote session.

Give it a try and get back to us.
http://www.mediafire.com/?51eyv1443mc

Regards,
verybusy

Post by verybusy »

Hi Radeon,

I tried the previous version to the one you posted today and it worked great.

It had the "Cleanup" thing in it as it did when I tried it on XP.

Because it was the first time that I tried it on Vista, I saw a message saying something like "display changed to Home Basic". I never saw "display changed to Home Premium" when I disconnected. Also, I no longer saw the first message about "display changed to Home Basic" which makes me wonder if the display changes to make VNC quicker in Vista were removed to put the Aero stuff.

The next time I have access to a Vista machine I'll give it a try.

Thanks again for making the changes so quickly.

This manual IP version is so convenient.

Cheers
Caramel

Post by Caramel »

personally i have mine setup on a dyndns address so i just change that and point it to wherever i am.

i have not taken much notice but i don't think you get a prompt when aero is turned back on.. you just get the aero effects back..ie transparent title bar etc.

the aero should return to it's previous state as soon as the aero_disable.exe is killed - it does not need to exit cleanly for it to return just no longer running.

the sc_vnc should reset all the other registry entries back after winvnc.exe stops, if the pc is hard rebooted - ie power cycled - with this version of sc running it will leave the keys as if sc is still connected... just run sc_vnc and close to restore to previous state.
JohnZS

Post by JohnZS »

Caramel wrote:personally i have mine setup on a dyndns address so i just change that and point it to wherever i am.

i have not taken much notice but i don't think you get a prompt when aero is turned back on.. you just get the aero effects back..ie transparent title bar etc.

the aero should return to it's previous state as soon as the aero_disable.exe is killed - it does not need to exit cleanly for it to return just no longer running.

the sc_vnc should reset all the other registry entries back after winvnc.exe stops, if the pc is hard rebooted - ie power cycled - with this version of sc running it will leave the keys as if sc is still connected... just run sc_vnc and close to restore to previous state.
Yer it is pretty magic the way it works. I tried yours and Radeon's Single Click on my Vista Machine x64 (Intel QX9xxxx based) you get a screen blank and an information bubble saying that the colour has been changed to Vista Basic.
When you terminate the session it changes back to Aero.

I think Verybusy's Radeon version uses a different front end, I tried it out and had to type an IP address, which to me is a fiddly, especially if you are on a dynamic IP.

Verybusy

Have you tried using No-IP.com or DynDNS? basically you can get a "hostname" which always routes to your IP that way you don't have to keep finding out your IP, just add your hostname to Radeon's helpdesk.txt and then it works :)

I've got a static IP unfortunately but other people I know that have dynamic IP addy's swear by DynDNS and No-IP.

Have a Wicked Weekend everyone, and once again hats off to Radeon and Caramel for their efforts.

~JZS~
verybusy

Post by verybusy »

Thanks Caramel and JohnZS.

I've been aware of DynDNS and No-IP for some time and I think they're fantastic options.

My problem is that I'm not always at home when I'm asked to help someone. If I get a call, I connect my laptop to whatever network I'm in the vicinity of, bring up the web page http://www.ipaddress.com and tell my clients to type in the ip address that the web page indicates as my current one.

For me this option works really well. I didn't bother with No-IP et al. because I'm not on my home network at least half the time. My clients are used to the manual IP method and it leaves me with one tool to pass on to people. I may be at home one time and the next time I'm not. It's just easier for me to train my clients (many of which are very resistant to change) to use one program. PCHelpware's tool drove me nuts because of what it does when you disconnect. You basically have to restart the connection. It's cumbersome.

I forgot to mention that the background image didn't come back after disconnection on Vista. I had to manually reset the background image. That's a minor inconvenience. I only tried things out for a few minutes before I had to go but I'll try the latest version by Radeon the next time I'm near a Vista PC.

Cheers
Caramel

Post by Caramel »

dyndns has a url that you can hit to update your ip so you just add that to your fav and click it to make dyndns point to you :-)

the other way around being at differing locations all the time involves using a repeater either one of the ones provided by uvnc or setup your own on a static box somewhere... not needed to do myself but have seen forum posts about it..
also gets around the need to forward ports to ythe pc you are using.. your clients sc_vnc will connect to the repeater and you connect your viewer to the repeater to gain access - done.
brainwave64

Post by brainwave64 »

First of all, I just want to thank those of you who contributed to getting SC working with Vista and then shared their knowledge with everyone on this forum. I really appreciate it.

Second, I'm a big fan of AutoIt v3 (it's free, simple to use, easy to deploy, powerful, and versatile), and so I took the winvnc.cmd file and converted it into pure AutoIt code. The following is a generic version of the script I now use to run the UltraVNC SC executable.

The script was compiled into a single executable using AutoIt v3.2.10.0. The following files, as well as any of the optional files used by SC, need to be located in the same directory as the script when compiling it. The optional files can be included simply by adding additional FileInstall() lines to the script.

I've only tested this on one Vista box, but it worked perfectly in that instance. If you see any bugs please let me know.

UltraVNC.au3:

Code: Select all

#NoTrayIcon
#RequireAdmin

Opt("ExpandEnvStrings", 1)
Opt("ExpandVarStrings", 1)
Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)
Opt("RunErrorsFatal", 0)

Dim $FileDir = "@TempDir@\uvncsc\"

FileDelete("@TempDir@\uvncsc") ; if this file exists, the directory won't be created below
DirRemove($FileDir, 1)
DirCreate($FileDir)

FileInstall("helpdesk.txt", $FileDir, 1)
FileInstall("aero_disable.exe", $FileDir, 1)
FileInstall("vnchooks.dll", $FileDir, 1)
FileInstall("winvnc_SCII_100.exe", $FileDir, 1)

Dim $curVal = ""

If @OSVersion = "WIN_VISTA" Then
	Run("$FileDir$aero_disable.exe", $FileDir)

If RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "PromptOnSecureDesktop_VNC") = "" Then ; if the value doesn't exist
		$curVal = RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "PromptOnSecureDesktop")
		RegWrite("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "PromptOnSecureDesktop_VNC", "REG_DWORD", $curVal)
	EndIf
	RegWrite("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "PromptOnSecureDesktop", "REG_DWORD", 0)

If RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin_VNC") = "" Then ; if the value doesn't exist
		$curVal = RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin")
		RegWrite("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin_VNC", "REG_DWORD", $curVal)
	EndIf
	RegWrite("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin", "REG_DWORD", 0)
EndIf

RunWait("$FileDir$winvnc_SCII_100.exe", $FileDir)

ProcessClose("aero_disable.exe") ; included here so that it closes before the temp file it is located in gets deleted

Sleep(500)

; makes sure the temp folder gets deleted, tries for up to 15 seconds
Dim $delcnt = 0
While FileExists($FileDir) And $delcnt < 15
	DirRemove($FileDir, 1)
	$delcnt = $delcnt + 1
	Sleep(1000)
WEnd

Exit

Func OnAutoItExit()
	If @OSVersion = "WIN_VISTA" Then
		ProcessClose("aero_disable.exe") ; included here a second time, just in case AutoIt is forcibly closed

$curVal = RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "PromptOnSecureDesktop_VNC")
		If $curVal = 0 Or $curVal = 1 Then
			RegWrite("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "PromptOnSecureDesktop", "REG_DWORD", $curVal)
		EndIf
		RegDelete("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "PromptOnSecureDesktop_VNC")

$curVal = RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin_VNC")
		If $curVal = 0 Or $curVal = 1 Or $curVal = 2 Then
			RegWrite("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin", "REG_DWORD", $curVal)
		EndIf
		RegDelete("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin_VNC")
	EndIf
EndFunc
Last edited by brainwave64 on 2008-02-04 16:15, edited 2 times in total.
Caramel

Post by Caramel »

@brainwave64

:-)

not to burst your bubble but the only reason i did not do the batch file in autoit was size.

i use autoit to wrap the whole product so as to make the initial exe replaceable while connected. including an autoit script inside involves adding around 300k to an already larger-than-normal SCVNC.

good work tho, i too am a big fan of autoit and have dozens of little helper scripts written in it.