Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

UVNC SC - UVNC-Helper - More Than VNC! - Updated July 12TH

This forum is for VNC related products | This means not only UltraVNC | It even is allowed to announce or describe commercial (and of course non-commercial) programs here (but not anywhere else in the forum)
Bill H

Re: UVNC SC - UVNC-Helper - More Than VNC! - Updated June 23

Post by Bill H »

JohnMC wrote:Beta Update

This update might become a release
Hello John...I've tried to PM you, but for whatever reason things have been stuck for the past few days in my outbox. So, I'll post my message here.

I've been following your development of UVNC HELPER for a while now. I'm quite impressed with the concept of your project. I tried your newest BETA today and find that I cannot enable encryption. When I look in the UVNC Helper temp directory I see that there are only six files there with the DSM plugin file missing. The key is there but no plugin.

I've tested your previous version with encryption enabled and have had great success. I've tried to enable encryption using the embed method as well as manually editing the ultravnc.ini file. Neither approach works for me.

I hope this bit of info is helpful to you. I look forward to the version that supports reconnect on restart. By the way, I like the new docking window.

Bill H
Xyhon

Post by Xyhon »

I have a problem with encryption aswel - when trying to connect it says error getting protocol version.
Suggests problem with DSM plugin or encryption setup.
Currently tested with Viewer ver: 1.0.5.6 and 1.0.6.3
Cheers
lamarmotte

Post by lamarmotte »

Thanks again John to integrate all my requests in the new beta.

I'll try it today.

I have another request but this one is not a functional item but more an aesthetic one.

With resolution of LCD, many people in our High school was using low resolution instead of native one. So, to get a better look and minimize eyestrain, we increase in the advanced display properties the resolution from 96DPI to 120dpi. When DPI are set to more than 96, your application will not increase button or text box size and for this reason the text will not fit them (text will be crop).

I know that is possible to get the dpi setting from the registry and do a ratio (such 120dpi/96dpi=1.25) to adjust the size of objects (windows, button, text input...)

Thanks.
Bill H

Post by Bill H »

Bill H wrote:
JohnMC wrote:Beta Update

This update might become a release
Hello John...I've tried to PM you, but for whatever reason things have been stuck for the past few days in my outbox. So, I'll post my message here.

I've been following your development of UVNC HELPER for a while now. I'm quite impressed with the concept of your project. I tried your newest BETA today and find that I cannot enable encryption. When I look in the UVNC Helper temp directory I see that there are only six files there with the DSM plugin file missing. The key is there but no plugin.

I've tested your previous version with encryption enabled and have had great success. I've tried to enable encryption using the embed method as well as manually editing the ultravnc.ini file. Neither approach works for me.

I hope this bit of info is helpful to you. I look forward to the version that supports reconnect on restart. By the way, I like the new docking window.

Bill H
Hello again John...Sorry about the confusion re PMs remaining in my inbox. I hadn't realized that they remain there until viewed by the recipient.

I've done some further testing with UVNC HELPER this AM. I manually copied the DSM plugin into the UVNC HELPER temp folder and an encrypted connection was made successfully. From that point on all was well. The only glitch I have been able to find is the inability to include the plugin when building the UVNC HELPER exe. Your project is coming along very nicely. I hope my observations are helpfull.

Bill H
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

Beta Update

(7-11-09 - 3.1.0.56) Beta 2
-Added- Embed option "embed" to protect the executable from accessing the embed screen
-Fixed- DSM file wasnt being packed with the executable because of tests i was conducting
-Fixed- Command line -connect not working when ip/port is secified
-Fixed- Having the port included as part of the host field wasnt overriding the number in the port field (aka ports included with friendly names or command line were not working)

http://teammc.cc/uvnc/more
http://teammc.cc/uvnc/?s=beta&host=myhost
BenCh

Post by BenCh »

Hi John,

Thank you for the advice on using the UVNC repeater. I will give it a try. Can you suggest an URL to point me in the right direction? I have found a couple things explaining how to set up the repeater, but they seem a little confusing. I will give them another look, but any advice/direction would be great. Also, thank you for putting so much time into such a great product. I can see you are helping a lot people accomplish what they need. I wish there were more people like you out there.
Xyhon

Post by Xyhon »

Hello, got this error when using lock host and port functions in Beta 1 and 2:

Line: -1

Error: Subscript used with non-Array variable

It works, just it drops Icon and windows so You can't close conenction by it and quit app.

Hope this helps with testing.
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

Release Update! See first post

This release was early due to not so simple problems with 3.1, it doesnt contain all the features i laned for 3.2 so the version is 3.1.5

Changes since beta2:
-Fixed- Description of the embed command
-Fixed- Error on connection when using 'lock' option
-Note- Using UVNC 1.0.6.3 (since 3.1.0.36)

Help files should be updated by the end of the day.

Xyhon thank you, this is now fixed.

BenCh i know of 2 versions of the repeater the one thats available on the downloads page and only runs in a console window, and a GUI one that i belive is older, im not sure how to configure the console version, if some one could explain this i would be thankfull.

CUI: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ultr ... e?download
GUI: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultravn ... e/download

if you use the GUI version then the directions should make sence at http://www.uvnc.com/addons/repeater.html

lamarmotte I really dont know how i would deal with this issue, ill do some testing, but i dont see it getting fixed too quick

kayman any update on your issue? im assuming its fixed
kayman

Re: UVNC SC - UVNC-Helper - More Than VNC! - Updated July 12

Post by kayman »

Hi John, once again thanks.

I havent had the chance to try the connection with the client, but if im back in time this arvo I'll give them a call and see if I can just quickly test it, will let you know asap.
Xyhon

Post by Xyhon »

Now all I have to understand is how to password protect embed... As far as I know, I have to set password in uvnc.ini? And then write set embed pass "password"?
If You can provide me step-by-step I would be grateful.
Thanks
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

To protect it, in the embed options set the option "embed" to 0 to disable access, set it to a value other than 0 or 1 and that value will be considered the password, to access embed later youll need to enter the password using set embed <password>
Xyhon

Post by Xyhon »

JohnMC wrote:To protect it, in the embed options set the option "embed" to 0 to disable access, set it to a value other than 0 or 1 and that value will be considered the password, to access embed later youll need to enter the password using set embed <password>
Okie, so do I or do I not have to set this into ini file??
Bcause I'm a bit stuck on this.
Without modyfing ini, I tried to enter into this value into embed field(i.e.: 822412), saved it to new exe, then when I open it, I enter set embed 822412 and nothing, then I tried embed, still nothing.
Thanks for response John.

OK, now i Tried with 4 digits and it works. Ill get back later with it. Thanks
Ill report if I manage longer pass.

Edit:
Finally got time to spend on this. It works nice, must have been some unofficial char code, oh well, polish language rox when it comes to coding;)
Last edited by Xyhon on 2009-07-18 08:20, edited 2 times in total.
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

Xyhon wrote: Okie, so do I or do I not have to set this into ini file??
Bcause I'm a bit stuck on this.
Without modyfing ini, I tried to enter into this value into embed field(i.e.: 822412), saved it to new exe, then when I open it, I enter set embed 822412 and nothing, then I tried embed, still nothing.
Thanks for response John.

OK, now i Tried with 4 digits and it works. Ill get back later with it. Thanks
Ill report if I manage longer pass.
this password has nothing to do with uVNC or ini files, its just to protect the embed option from being accessed by the user. its possible that special characters wont work, i didnt think legth would be an issue, ill test later.
arghwhymustiregister

Post by arghwhymustiregister »

hey JohnMC, i just wanted to thank you for this, it works great - much appreciated..

i've tried so many times to establish a connection between my xp and a vista but it just would not work with other versions but yours is working fine =) thx again
Vynce

Post by Vynce »

This is really cool. I've been using one of the old UVNC-SC executables for years and decided that it was time to upgrade. I'm glad I found this. It's working pretty well for me so far.

I'm using UVNC-helper v3.1.5.0.

Just a few suggestions:
  1. It would be nice if you could make a port box a bit bigger. I use a 5-digit port number and it's not possible to see the whole thing.
  2. There aren't a whole lot of commands at the moment, but it would be useful to add a help command that lists the available commands. You could use "help" and/or "?" to display the help.
And some questions:
  1. What is the embed image option for? I embedded an image, but it doesn't seem to show up anywhere.
  2. Is it possible to specify a port after each host instead of a single default port? For example:

Code: Select all

[John]support.teammc.cc:12345;
    [Allyssa]support2.teammc.cc:12346
And a bug or two:

The following steps cause a setting to be lost:
  1. Type "embed" in the cmd window and press enter.
  2. Expand "URL Enabled" and select "Host" (or anything else).
  3. Select "URL Enabled" itself.
  4. Select "Host" again. Its contents will be blank.
The following steps cause an endless stream of popups on the server machine (I don't know if anything can be done about this one):
  1. Setup UVNC-helper to use a dsm plugin (this will be run on the server machine).
  2. Don't setup the vncviewer listener with the dsm plugin (this will be run on the viewer machine).
  3. Attempt to connect to the vncviewer with the UVNC-helper.
  4. The connection will fail with a protocol error and an error dialog will be displayed (because of the dsm misconfiguration). However, UVNC-helper will retry the connection and another error dialog will be displayed. This will continue until you end the connection or kill the process.
Last edited by Vynce on 2009-07-20 03:44, edited 2 times in total.
Xyhon

Post by Xyhon »

<quote>
The following steps cause an endless stream of popups on the server machine (I don't know if anything can be done about this one):

1. Setup UVNC-helper to use a dsm plugin (this will be run on the server machine).
2. Don't setup the vncviewer listener with the dsm plugin (this will be run on the viewer machine).
3. Attempt to connect to the vncviewer with the UVNC-helper.
4. The connection will fail with a protocol error and an error dialog will be displayed (because of the dsm misconfiguration). However, UVNC-helper will retry the connection and another error dialog will be displayed. This will continue until you end the connection or kill the process.
</quote>

Well for me it is not a bug. It is how UVNC works when You select auto reconnect, it will go all the way around. Anyway, not using DSM currently should be a crime ;P :)
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

Vynce: The example you used to ask about ports will infact work, the port shown in [John]support.teammc.cc:12345 will override whatever is shown in the port box.

the embed image option was for a new UI i had planed on making but didnt have time for in this latest version, you will see information about it in the next version. this new UI will include 5 characters space for the port box.

the help command is a great idea and ill add this to my list.

the embed window bug is a great find and ill fix it for the next release, thanks!.

the autoreconnect bug isnt something i can very easily correct, its apart of UVNC and you would have the same issue if you were only using UVNC, ill keep my eyes open for ideas on how to better deal with this.

arghwhymustiregister thanks! im curious why my program worked if others didnt, ill assume it has to do with my service installation routine.
kayman

Post by kayman »

Hey John, just updating with the reshacked crashing problem ([post=60216][/post])

It seems like it was Trend Micro's behavior monitoring that comes with Trend Micro Client Security or Trend Worry Free a/v products.

It seems like it didnt like the changes the software was doing and hence caused it to crash, if I stop the behavior monitoring service the remote connection launches fine.
Robin

Post by Robin »

kayman wrote:Hey John, just updating with the reshacked crashing problem ([post=60216][/post])

It seems like it was Trend Micro's behavior monitoring that comes with Trend Micro Client Security or Trend Worry Free a/v products.

It seems like it didnt like the changes the software was doing and hence caused it to crash, if I stop the behavior monitoring service the remote connection launches fine.
Sorry to jump in here, but havnt your Trend Micro got an option to ALLOW certain programs? If it has(hopefully), just enable it for this program...
Last edited by Robin on 2009-07-27 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
kayman

Post by kayman »

The problem is the client is out of the office and trend micro goes strict when in roaming mode and doesn't allow you to change settings :( but when in the office you can specify allow rules
Robin

Post by Robin »

kayman wrote:The problem is the client is out of the office and trend micro goes strict when in roaming mode and doesn't allow you to change settings :( but when in the office you can specify allow rules
I wrote RAC "Remote access Control" (also on this forum) and found the same problem but only if i "pack/obfuscate" my Autoit proggie. Maby you must ask the author of this program if he can compile it without too much protection (that is IF he protected the program). 99% of the time this fixes the "Virus Detection" :)
kayman

Post by kayman »

Im sure John can answer the above but with my problem Trend isn't detecting it as a Virus its more so the behavior monitoring system that is blocking it, i.e. the helper program launches but as soon as the user hits connect it hangs as the behavior monitoring software is blocking whatever it is trying to do, whether it be making a registry entry or adding the service I'm not sure as I don't know what the app is doing at that point.

Hope that makes sense.

K
Robin

Post by Robin »

kayman wrote:Im sure John can answer the above but with my problem Trend isn't detecting it as a Virus its more so the behavior monitoring system that is blocking it, i.e. the helper program launches but as soon as the user hits connect it hangs as the behavior monitoring software is blocking whatever it is trying to do, whether it be making a registry entry or adding the service I'm not sure as I don't know what the app is doing at that point.

Hope that makes sense.

K
So is it true then, lets say you STOP Trend from running...Then the proggie continues?
kayman

Post by kayman »

Sure Does, check my post on last page but basically if i stop the behavior monitoring service it works perfectly, the on access / online scanner can still be running hence not a virus blocking but more so changes the app is making which is not a problem with the application more so the strictness of Trends behavior monitoring service.

Was just updating John as previously we thought it was a problem with the App.
Last edited by kayman on 2009-07-28 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
Robin

Post by Robin »

kayman wrote:Sure Does, check my post on last page but basically if i stop the behavior monitoring service it works perfectly, the on access / online scanner can still be running hence not a virus blocking but more so changes the app is making which is not a problem with the application more so the strictness of Trends behavior monitoring service.

Was just updating John as previously we thought it was a problem with the App.
Its deff NOT the app that's the prob...What you might also do is, check if Trend(sorry i don't actually work with Trend though) has an option to "disable" HEURISTIC monitoring and turn it off. This way you will STILL be able to detect viruses...Only diff is, THIS way it finds REAL viruses, and not just "make believe" viruses.
marcgistel

Post by marcgistel »

Do anyone knows or has an idea how to fix the issue:

--No support for UAC prompts when running as "non-admin"

?
Or any hints where I can go for searching?
I tried to find any information about this or any backdoors but could not find any things.
Is there any possibility to auto fill in the username and password(because I know the username and password) and to klick OK or always to klick abort? I think the biggest problem is that if I call the UAC(but dont want to) and no user is sitting in front of the PC the PC freezes for me and I can not control it any more until someone klicked on "abort".

Any information or hints?

best regards,
marc
xpcomputers

Post by xpcomputers »

Wow! My subscription of this thread must have died a month or so ago... so I wrongly assumed this project had died.... (since I didn't get any more notifications - interestingly enough I see John had the same problem around the same time!)

Great to see so much interest in this excellent little program... and also great to see how much progress John has been making.

Anyway, hopefully by posting here again I will start getting notifications of replies again.... (I guess I'll have to wait and see).

Mike
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

Mike i think it did it to me again... whatever.. good to see you mike, ive been doing alot of work on the program but ive taken a break, in part to think about the new opening UI i want to create, and also im taking time off from work and vacationing, September should be much more productive.

to touch on the A/V issues and to give insight as to how i build the executable:

----To reduce size the autoit script is only Obfuscated using /striponly, no renaming or tricky script protection.
----The executable it packed using PECompact, this is basicly UPX but not opensource, so the resulting executable is less likely to be detected as a virus
----A stipped down version of winvnc.exe is also (seperatly) compressed with PECompact
----Nothing has digital signatures

it might be worth testing a build that has a non compressed winvnc.exe, i suspect heuristics dont like a compressed executable unpacking and executing another compressed executable from itself that establishes a network connection so quickly.

i just uploaded 4 builds, the first CAPS is what i did to winvnc.exe and second is what i did to the compiled autoit exe UVNC-Helper.exe (note that by signed i mean that i didnt do ANYTHING to it), also note the size, the largest file should be the least likely to be blocked, and the smallest would be the most likely.

http://teammc.cc/uvnc/more

marcgistel this is impossible as far as i understand, if it were possible it would mean that UAC doesnt work/has a security flaw
Last edited by JohnMC on 2009-08-02 02:23, edited 3 times in total.
Xyhon

Post by Xyhon »

Hi there John!
How it's going with Your work?
You haven't updated this thread for a while, so I'm just curious :) Cheers and best regards.
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

sorry guys, im short on time and ive been away from this project for to long, but i hope to come back to it very soon, winter is basicly here and ill have plenty of time once snow hits the ground.