Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

UVNC SC - UVNC-Helper - More Than VNC! - Updated July 12TH

This forum is for VNC related products | This means not only UltraVNC | It even is allowed to announce or describe commercial (and of course non-commercial) programs here (but not anywhere else in the forum)
JohnMC

Re: New UVNC SC - More Then SC! - Updated May 15TH

Post by JohnMC »

Sainsuper Thanks for the feedback, im working on this issue right now, it seems that only one instance of winvnc can exsit at a time as a service (more specificly the helper). i have 2 ways to deal with this so maybe someone can give me some idea of what might be better.

1. We assume that the eixisting winvnc is unreliable so we stop the service and create our own, on a clean exit the original service will be restarted

2. We trust that the existing sevice is functional and attempt to establish a connection using it.

On another note, when you tried usermode, the program should of still established a connection despite the message, if it did (like it did for me) then ill look for a way to surpress that message.
kayman

Post by kayman »

Hey John, its looking great... for the above post I dont have a preference either would work quite well although it seems option 1 would be safer for your app as you are not relying on the existing service to be stable.
I've been using your app a bit and its great its working a treat I have a few comments if you wish to look at and dont know if its something you want.

-> Perhaps have the ability to have a drop down menu for the connect option if users want to embed information.

-> If possible have your app doc once connected so its not in the middle of the screen.

-> Perhaps show a connection timer?

-> If possible when you type AG or APPGET and it lists the apps available you can have a column showing a description of the download?

and I'm pretty sure this wont be possible as its probably a limitation of winvnc but can the support rep have the option to accept the connection or decline like how SC does?

Just a few things that come to mind let me know if you dont want comments and I'll just shut up.

also is there any way to host the app on our own domain so we can have a embedded url launch i.e. www.mycompany.com/remote/?etc.

Loving your work its truly a fantastic app so far.
Last edited by kayman on 2009-05-19 05:59, edited 2 times in total.
xpcomputers

Post by xpcomputers »

I like the look of what you are doing here.

However, I was looking at your website, and the opening post, and trying to see how the two relate. On the Website you have:

UVNC-Helper.exe,
UVNC-Helper-SRC-1.3.zip
UVNC-Helper-SRC-1.2.zip
UVNC-Helper-Beta.exe

In the first post you talk about:
(5-15-09 - 2.3.1.82)
(5-03-09 - 2.2.1.47)
etc
etc

I'm assuming that only the latest version eg 2.3.1.82 is currently available, and that is UVNC-Helper.exe download.

Are the SRC zips the source files? How do they relate to the 2.x.y.zz version numbers?

Is the beta a newer version again, if so how stable is it? Should we be testing it for you?

This looks to be very good work and might be just what I'm looking for, but need to get my head around it a bit more. I'll re-read this thread, and play around with the downloads and see what I can work out myself.

Mike
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

UVNC-Helper.exe is always the latest version displayed here in my first post, i keep 2 versions of the source so someone could compare the changes.... the way i use versioning here is as follows: x.x.y.y

x.x is what would be considered the vesion of a release, thats why i only display the 2.x in the name of the ziped source, the y.y is what i use internaly to keep track of builds and betas.

the beta, unless i have posted "Beta Updates", is programaticly the same as the release, except that it has console that it uses to display verbose, it also logs the information in the current directory.

the file name of the latest release stays UVNC-Helper.exe for a couple reasons: appearance and a static name for the Embed php script to use
Last edited by JohnMC on 2009-05-19 23:15, edited 2 times in total.
xpcomputers

Post by xpcomputers »

Thanks for the detailed input. It all makes much more sense to me now.

The only bit I'm still slightly confused by is the source code zip naming. You said:
JohnMC wrote: x.x is what would be considered the vesion of a release, thats why i only display the 2.x in the name of the ziped source,
I would expect from that to see the src zip files on your website named as:

UVNC-Helper-SRC-2.3.zip and UVNC-Helper-SRC-2.2.zip

so that they match the released versions listed in the first post.

However the zip files on your website are actually called:

UVNC-Helper-SRC-1.3.zip and UVNC-Helper-SRC-1.2.zip

Is this a typo, or am I still mis-understanding something in your naming structure.

Thanks again for explaining.

Mike
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

wow, i dont kow how i didnt notice that, it is a typo, and its now fixed, also after my last post i remembered that i havnt released the php script i use for the AutoEmbed, so i just added it to the latest source, also apon closer consideration it seemed silly to not just put the entire version number in the name of the zip.
xpcomputers

Post by xpcomputers »

I think you now understand why I was a bit confused before....

Knowing it was a typo has cleared everything up! I just checked your website and everything is crystal clear now!

Thanks for the speedy resolution. That is great service!

I'll continue to get my head round your solution, and come back if I have any further question.

I am trying to transition from my current original SC client (setup in Jan 07) to a more up to date solution. It has served me very well for remote PC support, but it needs updating to solve various issues and your solution looks to be very neat.

Mike
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

thank you, i feel its neat as well, a bit less traditional, and still new, still with bugs to work out
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

kayman wrote:Hey John, its looking great... for the above post I dont have a preference either would work quite well although it seems option 1 would be safer for your app as you are not relying on the existing service to be stable.
I've been using your app a bit and its great its working a treat I have a few comments if you wish to look at and dont know if its something you want.

-> Perhaps have the ability to have a drop down menu for the connect option if users want to embed information.

-> If possible have your app doc once connected so its not in the middle of the screen.

-> Perhaps show a connection timer?

-> If possible when you type AG or APPGET and it lists the apps available you can have a column showing a description of the download?

and I'm pretty sure this wont be possible as its probably a limitation of winvnc but can the support rep have the option to accept the connection or decline like how SC does?

Just a few things that come to mind let me know if you dont want comments and I'll just shut up.

also is there any way to host the app on our own domain so we can have a embedded url launch i.e. www.mycompany.com/remote/?etc.

Loving your work its truly a fantastic app so far.
All very good ideas, in order:

1. Very good, ill have to work out the syntax and method, but ill absolutly include this

2. Good point, and thats why ive always kept the window very small, i was just thinking i might add a setting that could look like this: ?window=1(1=OnTop, Default Possition, 2=OnTop, Dock On Connect, 3=Standard Window), as far as docking, where do you propose the window should dock?

3. A timer is a good idea, and im not certain where it would display but ill plan to work this in soon enough, im also looking to add a latency display

4. At the moment i havnt a single idea how to effectivly do this in a stable manner, however it would be very usefull and im going to think about it.

The accept connection prompt should of been working because i was using the new -sc command line, but for some reason it wasnt working so i removed the command line to prevent any issues, as soon as i have a better understanding of whats happening with that command ill add it.
xpcomputers

Post by xpcomputers »

How about a copy of HiJackThis in the repository? If you can AutoIT script it to take the scan with log, copy the logfile text, and paste it into the box on a website like http://hjt.networktechs.com/ and display the page of results.

The script would then leave the Hijackthis program open and the webpage of results both open, ready for me to pick through and manually remove anything that is "dodgy".

That is a routine a regularly do on a machine, and to automate it would be awesome!

(Note to self, I really ought to look at AutoIt myself... heard so much about it, but never even visited their site, let alone tried it!)

Thanks

Mike
xpcomputers

Post by xpcomputers »

JohnMC wrote:
All very good ideas, in order:

1. Very good, ill have to work out the syntax and method, but ill absolutly include this

2. Good point, and thats why ive always kept the window very small, i was just thinking i might add a setting that could look like this: ?window=1(1=OnTop, Default Possition, 2=OnTop, Dock On Connect, 3=Standard Window), as far as docking, where do you propose the window should dock?

3. A timer is a good idea, and im not certain where it would display but ill plan to work this in soon enough, im also looking to add a latency display

4. At the moment i havnt a single idea how to effectivly do this in a stable manner, however it would be very usefull and im going to think about it.
It would be cool if it could dock like Windows Media Player (Remote mode) as a usable remote bar on the Task Bar! It might need less visible bits on it in that state, but maybe it could lose the host & port boxes for that mode, and just leave a timer, and command box, or if that is too cluttered too, just the timer, but hovering over the timer could hide the timer & display the command box instead (or if hover was too messy, it could be triggered with a click). Double clicking the box could revert to floating view with all boxes & functions visible. It would still start as a floating box with all features, but when connected could shrink down to remote bar, and reduced visible features.

Of course not sure if any of this is easily do-able from a coding perspective... just might be cool from a neatness and completeness perspective.

Mike
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

questions for anyone who cares:

1. as a SC does running winvnc.exe as a service have any benefit aside being a workaround for UAC secure desktop switching?

2. anyone know whats going on with the -sc command, i cant seem to make it work no matter what i do
Last edited by JohnMC on 2009-05-21 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
xpcomputers

Re: New UVNC SC - More Then SC! - Updated May 20TH

Post by xpcomputers »

How brilliant is that! Note I haven't tried it yet, but you were very quick with the HiJackThis implementation. Top Marks.

I'm busy tomorrow as well, but will try to test this out over the weekend and report back.

I wonder if you could show updated and changed parts of the first post in green (or red or something), so we can see at a glance what has changed each time. I find myself re-reading the fine details of the whole of the first post each time, trying to remember if that sentence is new or updated.

Just a thought.

Keep up the good work.... it is VERY appreciated.

Mike
kayman

Post by kayman »

Docking - My suggestion is how Remote Desktop Docs .. in the top center of the screen perhaps have a small dock showing the timer and latency meter or cmd box or just the timer and when you hover over it, it then drops down into a slightly larger box showing more options. (you can place 2 arrows or something at the bottom of the small dock so users know to over over it)

Hijack - Is it possible to have a option to auto post or just run and let you choose where you want to post the log? if its too hard to have a option I guess just 2 different downloads one that scripts to auto post and the other that just keeps it in clipboard or a txt file?

With the AG or Appget cmd if i type in ap zzz it says downloading zzz but obviously doesnt cause it doesnt exist perhaps show a popup either in the taskbar icon or a dialog box or just leave the text in the the cmd box and so users know it hasnt done anything?

also with the appget list I can imagine once the repo list gets large it might be a bit hard to find products maybe have a filter up the top so when you start typing it filters ... i.e if i type H into the filter box it shows everything that starts with H or maybe have it as a search so if I type hijack it shows all scripts with hijack in the name? once again dont know how hard to implement and if its too much it might not be worth it.

Another suggestion I was going to make is have a reboot and reconnect option dont know if its possible, which might answer the reason for having a option to run as a service unless a reboot and reconnect can be done in another way.

Im not sure about the -sc or the definate benefits of service Might be good to post in another area of the forum for developers to answer?

and the big bomb is it would be great if the app as a option could also some how work so both using reverse connection I think its called or some repeater mode? so that no port forwards need to be done and the technition and client can be anywhere and no special config is needed.

for exampe if i am at a clients site and not at my usual location i can just fire it up and get the client to fire it up and we can still connect (so both making outbound connections) I hope im making sense and dont know if this is at all possible but if u dont ask u dont know yeah?

I hope you don't mind me giving all these suggests some of them are so trivial but I guess just some nice to haves.

and now for the Praise ... I have to say out of all the VNC projects I have seen and tested this is by far the best not only for the actuall aplication but the backing normaly after a few weeks people back out and leave the project but yoru dedication is what makes this application even better that with your coding skills and creativity is just one great package. Thank you very much for all your hard work and looking forward to seeing and helping in any way I can to create the final product.

EDIT: WOW sorry that was really long hopefully you dont get lost in there hehehe

EDIT2: just noticed after you run the embed command and it creates the package it doesnt let you know its done anymore (before a dialog box used to come up saying completed)?
Last edited by kayman on 2009-05-21 22:31, edited 2 times in total.
Sainsuper

Post by Sainsuper »

JohnMC wrote:questions for anyone who cares:

1. as a SC does running winvnc.exe as a service have any benefit aside being a workaround for UAC secure desktop switching?

2. anyone know whats going on with the -sc command, i cant seem to make it work no matter what i do
the -sc options works only if winvnc is running as user, for ex:
winvnc.exe -sc -connect 192.168.0.1 -run
and it doesn't works if winvnc is installed as services.
also -autoreconnect doesn't work if use -sc
I don't kown why this, but for my opinion sc option is a very userful, because the "supporter" can choose if accept he remote request.
I 'am a supporter from 3 years using the old sc programs, and some of my clients often give me connection without call me before, so if i'm doing an other assistance, i can choose NO.

sorry for writing my opinion, i know that this should bedone from ultravnc programmers!
xpcomputers

Post by xpcomputers »

Ran a couple of tests tonight. All tests were run in following configuration:
Your client running on a Win7 beta (not RC build) on a spam Netbook
& VNC Viewer running on XP Pro laptop

Mostly it was a smooth experience for me (this was my first actual usage of your tool). In fact the hardest part was getting the viewer to download correctly, which I think was a temporary problem with ultravnc website. Other than that is was VERY good experience. Congratulations... I'm even more impressed now.

Couple of bugs?:

HijackThis script didn't execute properly. It opened the program, did a scan, created the log file, but then gave me an error message and didn't to open browser. Forgot to note error message (DOH!) - will run again tomorrow/Sat and post message.

hdtune script mostly unpacked the program, but then the script asked for a password just before the program opened? I didn't know the password, so had to cancel the operation.

Suggestions:

Seeing the program in action, I am more convinced that the timer could replace the host & port boxes when connection is established. It could say "Connected: 0mins 15secs" (or 0:00:15 or 0h00m15s). That way there would be a visible change when the connection has taken place. I think clicking end, should then pause the timer, but still show the timer display. (Maybe with "Disconnected: 0h17m43s" as the display). In this state the button, should now say something like "New", so that clicking it again, would remove the timer view, and go back to the host & port display like start. However, if possible, in this state, the timer value should remain stored in a paused state (albeit hidden from view). Then, if the same host & port is used to reconnect, the timer can carry on where it left off. If a new host or port is selected, then the timer should start from 0 on that next connection.

If you can make it sleek enough, then docking at the top centre would be a neat enough option. I'd still like to see a task bar option, but recognise it might be hard to code, and also it would probably cause problems on Win7, so not good future proofing, unless someone had a brainwave of how it could work!

I still think that a hover could be used to bring up the cmd box from under the timer.

When connected & box docked, with mouse elsewhere on screen, all that is needed to be displayed is timer display (maybe with an arrow underneath (or right) to show there is more available), so main box could shrink to to having no title bar, just something neat like:

\ + Connected: 0h03m26s _>_ /

When you mouse over this timer, the timer could either disappear to instead show just the cmd box & button and END button:

\ + [__________][Cmd] [End] /

OR expand down to display the cmd box & button and end button:

\ + Connected: 0h03m26s [End] /
'\ _[_____________]_[Cmd]_ /

or right, to display the cmd box & button and end button.

\ + Connected: 0h03m26s __<__ [_________][Cmd] [End]/

When mouse was moved away, timer would return as main view.

\ + Connected: 0h03m26s _>_ /

Alternatively, if coding a mouseover was too unreliable, (or hard to code), the dock could be activated with a click instead of mouseover to change the timer to cmd box. Here, the end button could now be on the timer view instead, (as you could now reach it without mousing over to loose it!). So the timer view could now look like this:

\ + Connected: 0h03m26s [End] /

and when clicked becoming:
\ + [_______________][Cmd] /

I envisage the "+" being a very small neat logo to keep program identity. It could also maybe be clickable to bring up a menu of options...

What do others think about timers & docking and the above thoughts?

It is all very good though John, so a big THANK YOU for all your hard work so far....

Mike
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

Wow, alot of stuff to respond to, i wont get to it all right now, but here is what i can get to:

Ive split the building of this program, version 2.4.2.0 seems to be stable enough to actualy call a stable release, so if bugs surface ill revise this version, but for additions and changes ill be working on version 3.0, it will probably be some time before this version is ready.

For the time being im going to be more detailed in the change log, all the information that i add to the first post you will find in the change log

xpcomputers
im torn on the docking issue, a couple points:
-Not super easy to code a docking window
-Less reliable on a slow connection due to screen updates and mouse hover/click

As for connection timer, what would you say to having the timer replace the version number in the title bar?

HijackThis at the moment needs IE, i dont know if that could be an issue, id love to see the error, but ive also updated that app to only display the log by default, you need to add parameter "nt" to make it submit, and in 2.4.2.0 the only way to do that it type it out.

[s]hdtune is protected because its not freeware/open source i use it to get SMART data, but ive been searching for something free/open source/light weight and i cant find anything, any help is apreciated[/s] Found one: "disckcheckup"

the next version will include many revisions to the way the new 'window' options works, one will be a mode to use a normal window with taskbar

Sainsuper
thankyou, i realized just now i was still using 1.0.5.7.1, things work great using it now.

Does anyone know how to programaticly check for an active uvnc connection?
Last edited by JohnMC on 2009-05-22 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
xpcomputers

Post by xpcomputers »

JohnMC wrote: xpcomputers
im torn on the docking issue, a couple points:
-Not super easy to code a docking window
-Less reliable on a slow connection due to screen updates and mouse hover/click

As for connection timer, what would you say to having the timer replace the version number in the title bar?
It is a sound suggestion, and one I had already considered myself. I must confess I didn't suggest it initially as I thought it might be harder to code. However, since then, I have seen that you allow us to change the title, which gives me a reason to be not sure about using the title bar as a location for the timer. I'd like to put something like "XP Computers - Remote Support" as the title and that would already more than fill the available space, without even showing the version number (that's a selfish personal reason, but for all IT Techs it makes sense to subtly put your "spam" in front of your customers wherever possible).
I'd also like to still be able to see the version number in case a regular client has an out of date version of my your client on their machine. Seeing it visible without looking would enable me to make sure they were up to date. The other thing I like is the idea of it saying somewhere:
"connected - 0h15m22s". So they are my ideal parameters... but I recognise I can't have everything!!! (For a start, my ideal title & the prog version number already don't fit, so I'd need to compromise somewhere!)

I guess I see no need to keep the host & port boxes once connected, as they cease to provide a function or useful info once connected, so they seem the obvious item to displace for space optimising, but if you think it will upset the system to switch them to a timer once connected, then you are the boss, and it is your code.
HijackThis at the moment needs IE, i dont know if that could be an issue, id love to see the error, but ive also updated that app to only display the log by default, you need to add parameter "nt" to make it submit, and in 2.4.2.0 the only way to do that it type it out.
Not sure what else you changed, but I can't get Hijackthis to run at all tonight. When I run "Aptget hijackthis", OR "ag" and select "hijackthis", OR "aptget hijckthis nt" etc etc, I always get hijackthis installing bar, then nothing. Maybe something in the removing of the "nt" part has broken it? (certainly for me on Win7 beta - I really must update to RC). If I could get it to run, I'd be able to give you the error message. Any chance of making a temporary "apget hjtnt" app which was a copy your orignal hijackthis script with network techs website posting, so I can test it for you?
[s]hdtune is protected because its not freeware/open source i use it to get SMART data, but ive been searching for something free/open source/light weight and i cant find anything, any help is apreciated[/s] Found one: "disckcheckup"
That explains it. Do you rate hdtune pro as worth buying a licence for? Look forward to trying diskcheckup as an option in the future.
the next version will include many revisions to the way the new 'window' options works, one will be a mode to use a normal window with taskbar
As long as it doesn't add "bloat", then the more options there are to suit individual preferences, the better... as we all might be looking for slightly different things, and therefore pulling you in different directions at once. If the app can do most of those things, keep everyone happy, bring world peace, and remain a small & fast piece of code... then you are a good coder!

Feature Request:

I like to leave my clients a remote support icon on their desktop. So the request I have is, would be possible to have some sort of AutoIt script code that can sit on the client's desktop, and when clicked, will reach out to the net (hopefully without a browser - like your aptget system) to get the latest version of the app and run the default connection for them, so they need to click nothing after running the desktop icon. Just BAM, a load of whiring... and I'm in! No need to worry about leaving old apps on the desktop to get out of date. I always get the latest.

I guess there are two ways to see this... either as a self-updater built into the main app... so what goes on their desktop is your main helper app, but it checks for updates & replaces itself if out of date, before running the connection (if run with a suitable command switch, eg update=1 {fetch update}, =0 {don't fetch}).

The other way to see this codewise, would be as a standalone "pre-launcher" which fetches a new copy of the app each time, runs it, and takes them as far through the process as possible. A double click and I'm connected to them using the latest version of your app and the default settings.

I guess at it's simplest, it could just be a URL for your auto-embed system, so I give them a pre-crafted url on their desktop with a suitable custom icon, but an aptget type system might be neater...

Would this be possible to do? Is it desirable for others?
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

Hijackthis: OOPS! i was making some modifications to the htaccess file in the repository and forgot to modify a security setting, FIXED, and looks better too: http://repo.teammc.cc

Timer/Ping: For now ill settle on the 'replace host/port with timer/ping' idea, for some reason i dont like it, i dont even fully understand why lol, it shouldnt 'upset' anything buts its still kinda GUI macgyvering.

hdtune: this program is lame for what i needed, its kinda bulky, has features you would never use in remote or on site trouble shooting, was never designed to be portable, looks like disckcheckup is a keeper tho, free, simple... on a side note i cant belive how hard it was to find a simple way to get SMART data, kinda lame.

[s]as for the desktop shortcut idea, i cant think of anyway of doing this without having someone freak out about security, ill keep it in mind however, im sure we can come to a conclusion.

the URL shorcut idea is for sure the best all around solution. but im sure i could come up with something better.[/s] screw it, consider it done, i kinda like the idea

FYI: the functions that retrive data from the internet use IE, they need IE 3 or newer, and it doesnt really matter if IE works or not, it just uses the system IE it built on (kinda).
xpcomputers

Post by xpcomputers »

JohnMC wrote:Hijackthis: OOPS! i was making some modifications to the htaccess file in the repository and forgot to modify a security setting, FIXED, and looks better too: http://repo.teammc.cc
Looking good. Nice information additions. Thanks for fixing hijackthis. Will try it tomorrow and report back. If I still get the error message, I'll let you know.
Timer/Ping: For now ill settle on the 'replace host/port with timer/ping' idea, for some reason i dont like it, i dont even fully understand why lol, it shouldnt 'upset' anything buts its still kinda GUI macgyvering.
I guess we can try it and see how it feels in use. If we can come up with a better plan down the line, we can always improve it further. I look forward to seeing it though, as I think you might yet be won over when you see how neat it looks! ;)

hdtune: this program is lame for what i needed, its kinda bulky, has features you would never use in remote or on site trouble shooting, was never designed to be portable, looks like disckcheckup is a keeper tho, free, simple... on a side note i cant belive how hard it was to find a simple way to get SMART data, kinda lame.
I'd never used it myself (hence asking), and looks like I won't bother. I will try out diskcheckup tomorrow though. Thanks for including that.

[s]as for the desktop shortcut idea, i cant think of anyway of doing this without having someone freak out about security, ill keep it in mind however, im sure we can come to a conclusion.

the URL shorcut idea is for sure the best all around solution. but im sure i could come up with something better.[/s] screw it, consider it done, i kinda like the idea
Nice. I don't think there is a security issue with this. All they have is an icon on their desktop. They will only click it if they want to (and need to). If they delete the icon, it is totally removed. They are fully in control of activating the connection. This is how I currently have SC setup (as an icon on people's desktop, but that is the full executable, and therefore gets out of date unless replaced by manually by me when a new version arrives.

If you want to talk through ideas on this, come back to me. Other than that, can't wait to see what you come up with, as I think it will potentially help many people!

FYI: the functions that retrive data from the internet use IE, they need IE 3 or newer, and it doesnt really matter if IE works or not, it just uses the system IE it built on (kinda).
I wonder if Win7 beta is the issue there then as it has an earlier build of IE8 in it? (rather than Win7 RC which I think has the final IE8 in it).
(I really must find time to reinstall Win7 to RC version.)

Thanks for all the work on this John. It is looking very good, and you seem to be taking the software in exciting directions... I can't wait to see the results of the next phase!

Couple of thoughts:

I wonder if it is time to rename the current "helper-beta" to "helper-debug", so you always have available a specific debug version of the stable release. This would then free up the "helper-beta" name to be reserved for a v3 beta for testing as and when it becomes available. This will keep the testing on the beta, and debugging the stable version as two distinct activities. I would guess the new betas would all have the debug turned on anyway (would they?).

Docs?
Now 2.4 is classed as stable, maybe we could help you work on some documentation to make it real easy for a newbie.
  • Maybe have a a step by step instructions (including where to download the viewer, and use the "-listen 5500" command to run it in listener mode).
  • List of Repository apps and what they all do.
  • FAQ
Thanks again John for all your work on this.

Mike
JohnMC

Re: New UVNC SC - More Than SC! - Updated May 20TH

Post by JohnMC »

Downloads Update: ive updated the way that the autoembed script works, we have these options now: ?s=embed ?s=beta ?s=debug ive changed the name of what was "the beta" so its now the debug version and will download using ?s=debug or you can find it here: http://teammc.cc/uvnc/more

Timer/Ping I got anothe idea, have the pogram temporarily remove the ip/host boxes and shrink the GUI.. THEN... you know how some logon GUIs have text like "Username" "Password" in gray text until you type in it! put the timer/ping in the command box untill you click on it!

security: I was speaking so much about a security issue, but more about making it easier for some one to do something bad.. but i came up with a few ways to help prevent that. ie no matter how you configure the program once the file is downloaded it will only execute it if its a real UVNC-Helper program, and version 3.0 or later.

Win 7 shouldnt be an issue, i ran 7057 with before i got rc1 and i never had issues, i think i used 7057 up to uvnc-helper 1.2, and i tried most apps, obviously hijackthis didnt exist then but it should still be an indicator

Docs help would be awesome, i would guess and say you have some basic HTML understanding? im building very light weight help docs in an online directory listing, i think i already gave you a link, but here it is: http://teammc.cc/uvnc/help if you think you have the time to spruce them up and write up some quick step by step's then i could give you ftp to the help folder. I really do want this to be well documents, ive worked on a couple of projects before like this and documentation is a must, i know how to build good docs and i feel like i need to show-up the uvnc docs, wouldnt that be something if we could make a more user friendly product then UVNC but using UVNC
xpcomputers

Re: New SC - UVNC-Helper - More Than SC! - Updated May 20TH

Post by xpcomputers »

Wow. Rapid progress, yet again! Brilliant stuff. Now the debug versions are renamed, I look forward to seeing the new "betas" of v3 when they start to trickle in...

Hijackthis:
I got a chance to test Hijackthis app with nt switch tonight. I got the same error message:

Title of box = HijackThis Helper
Error Message = Wait for log file timed out
Button options = Just "OK"

Logfile appears about 10 secs after error message on this system (spam NC10 Netbook 2GB Ram, running Win7 Beta - Build 7000).

I guess the processor handling on this specific machine is just too slow for the script (it is running the remote connection stuff at the same time as the install & scanning with Hijackthis!). Rather than make it slower for everyone else, is there a way that the error message can have a "Retry" button (to be pressed when the log has appeared), that way everyone will get the fast response, and slower computers can just click the button when it is ready to move on?

Failing that, the other option might be an auto-retry 10-15secs later, this would mop up the pieces for most machines. Maybe a second auto retry another 10-15 secs later again (for even slower machines), then post the fail message if it still isn't ready?

Timer/Ping:
Timer / ping in the cmd box is neat and tidy. It is a bit like my "hover" or "click" method, except that the user interface remains consistent during the state change, which obviously makes it potentially more intuitive, as you will still see the command entry box at all times. Losing the host & port settings during the connection is no probs, as they are only needed for the setup stage. Keeping box small for during the connection makes perfect sense. So, I love your idea! I think it is the "future improvement" we were looking for.

Win7:
I think the issue is my slow processor, rather than build 7000 (as discussed above). When I get onto RC1 I can test again, but might be a week or so before time is available for that.

Security:
I see your concerns now, but I think it is safe enough, as anyone could potentially code the same thing themselves if they wanted too, but your restrictions on execution sound sensible precautions, and think that should cover it!

Docs:
How about a "Wiki" system to help compile & store the docs? Then anyone can read the docs, and you could assign a few people to help modify them. Wiki software always allows for roll-backs on any changes in history, and makes for easy ongoing editing to a) get ahead of Ultra VNC documentation standards, but b) once there, to STAY ahead, rather than quickly become out of date again. I think hand coding html pages for this purpose is unnecessarily tortuous, and will just help to make them "unloved" in time! If you don't like the idea of a wiki, then maybe a very simple CMS would do?

I have some hand-coding (x)HTML & CSS skills, but my main issue is time availability, and whilst I love "hand-crafting" static webpages, I am currently looking to leverage the power of a CMS for future design work (like the look of Silverstripe.org, but it needs lots of memory on the server, so more expensive to host). I can then still use my skills to create good templates and efficient fast pages, but just not waste hours managing the updates & content, and copying code for menus, headers & footers around onto every new page etc.

So, what I can't promise or offer is lots of time. What I hope to be able to do is to dip into updating the docs here and there as time allows... make corrections, suggest improvements, act as a sounding board, & general ideas person! A wiki would seem to be ideal to making this work with multiple authors over time.

If you want a wiki, a friend of mine loves http://www.mindtouch.com/ and their wiki products. They have a free hosted solution (eg ready to go) at http://wik.is (and you could signup for something like http://teammc.wik.is for example or http://uvnc-helper.wik.is) and I'm sure they have a free "install it yourself package" for your own server so it would sit on your domain name properly, but I couldn't figure out which product it was at a quick glance....
Some really simple software is all it needs though.

General praise:
Yet again, I am astounded at the speed at which you have taken on board "ideas" and "thoughts" and turned them into realities... it makes me very excited about the next stages that are in development! Keep up the good work.... it is very appreciated! Thank You!

Mike
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

i just made some changes to hijackthis, it will wait up to 40 seconds now, while it waits it displays a dialog to cancel, it think this should be enough for even the slowest system

docs: im going to try to turn my attention to to adding these features and see what comes of it, ill probably touch up my html docs for the final release. i would love to install a wiki system on my own server, i feel like i need to see a bit more of a responce to the program however. once its done ill see if i can find the time to setup the wiki. great idea btw, i would want the simplest of the simplest (apearence and function), so whatever you recomend ill start reading up about.

also check out http://teammc.cc/uvnc/more im calling it UVNC-Helper-QQD quick & quiet downloader, you see exactly how it works once you run it... very simple but dont consider it final, only once v3 is out will it be final. right now you can let it download and run v2.4 it just wont start a connection
xpcomputers

Post by xpcomputers »

All looking good from this end.

QQD:
I like the QQD loader tool. Very neat it asking you for a url on the first operation, then giving the embedded version a new name. I got it working very quickly. I'm assuming once pre-embedded, I can just copy this small file onto any computer I want to give remote support too, and they have a simple double click access to my services!

The next thing I wanted to be able to do (but hadn't said this yet), was to have the embed details be dynamically upgradable too (not just trapped getting out of date on someone else's machine). That way the icon is good for a long time... even through version changes of main program that might need different command switches. I suddenly had the idea of using a http://tr.im url (like tinyurl) for the auto-embed url data. (If you create an account with tr.im then you get to keep your unique url forever, (and can change where it points to in the future you can change it, but only by deleting it and immediately recreating it, not ideal, but it works)... think of it like a neat updatable & memorable redirect!). So in the QQD I have added my short custom tr.im to the tool, instead of the embed url directly, and it works correctly through the redirect. If I ever want to change my autoembed options to enable/disable a new feature etc, I just update my url at tr.im and the QQD icon will always get the latest version without having to amend anything on the computer that already have the icon. I can also tell people to type that same short & simple url to get the helper tool direct from your site. The good thing with tr.im is that as well as randomly generated urls like http://tr.im/mkF3 (this thread), you can also create a custom one like http://tr.im/phishing (a page about the recent facebook phishing incident).

Obviously, if others wanted to do this, they would need to each have their own redirect urls to make their version work... but it is looking very neat package indeed now!!!

Once v3 comes, and it lets the connection auto start, it will be even cooler!

Hijackthis update:

I get the waiting message now, and then the log comes up... however the wait message remains for 30 secs longer, then I get an error message like the original one:
Title = "HijackThis Helper".
Error message = "Error: Wait for log file timed out."

Seems to be failing to find the log file, even though it is open and visible. I'll get RC1 on there asap in case that fixes it and report back.

Cain:
This got blocked by Kaspersky, so I turned Kaspersky off... it then got blocked by Win7 (I guess it as Windows Defender in disguise!). Once I'd allowed it through, the blocks, I tried scanning for my own Wireless WPA-PSK as entered on the netbook. It crashed Windows7 and told me it was going to reboot in 1 minute... which it then did! This has nothing to do with your script I'm sure, but I'll see what happens when I'm on RC1. Looks like another useful too though.

New Idea:
When the docs are created, the page about the auto-embedding url stuff should have a webform on the page that helps to create the url for you. Give a box for every option with radio boxes to select each option (including don't include this in embed data), and people can click the boxes they want, click "create" button and it posts them a url for their settings. You could then have a "Get Helper" button to follow that url (to download the helper pre-embedded).

Something like:-

UVNC Helper - Embedded Data URL Creator
Host:
[x] Don't Embed
[ ] Enter Host: [____________]

Port:
[x] Don't Embed
[ ] Enter Port: [____________]

Window:
[x] Don't Embed
[ ] OnTop, (Default Position),
[ ] OnTop, Dock On Connect,
[ ] Standard Window

Title:
[x] Don't Embed
[ ] Enter Program Title: [______________]

etc etc

[Create URL] [Bookmark URL] [Download Helper]

{edited to make clear how changing a tr.im redirect is actually by deleting & recreating the link. This only works with custom named urls you create manually.}
Last edited by xpcomputers on 2009-05-25 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
xpcomputers

Post by xpcomputers »

I've had big problems today with Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 not liking various parts of this software, and refusing to allow it to download!

First it blocked the edited QQD file from being downloaded from my webspace. There was no way round this to get it unblocked either, as they said if I wanted it unblocked to contact my vendor!!! Tomorrow I will try to download your original QQD file on the same machine, and see what KIS2009 thinks of it then. I'll also play around with the software to see which component it is doing the blocking. I'll also get some screenshots of the messages for you.

Then when I tried running the Helper program on the same machine instead, it also got blocked, but at least that one was configurable to allow it to pass next time... so I did get remote connection to that machine on the second attempt. However, this was with me sat at that machine in the same room, so I could see the screen to work out how to make it work. Would have been VERY tricky if done via the phone!

I then manually copied my QQD file onto the desktop of that machine (rather than downloading it) and tried the whole process again. No grumbles from KIS2009 this time, it just downloaded & connected as it should. So QQD was only blocked from Web download, not from running. Once the helper was added to the "low restriction" category (rather than "untrusted"), it also worked fine for all future tests, including the QQD dynamic download version.

So, if I am placing the QQD on the desktop myself, and doing a test run, it looks like I will be able to solve any problems locally before giving the machine back. I that case, it should all be good to run when they need me. If I need to do anything for them remotely, I can use the helper direct, (and talk them round the trusting of the file if necessary... or pausing their protection in extreme cases). I was then able to place the QQD file using the UVNC file transfer utility, so that future support sessions can be dynamic form the icon.

So not ideal, but not a disaster by a long stretch. I will try out a few more machines this week, and see what comes up. A lot of my clients have Kaspersky, so good to know the likely problems before I start!

Update about using tr.im
I updated my last post to say that tr.im is NOT able to update urls at the moment (I thought it could.. but it is the 3rd most requested feature!). However the workaround isn't too tortuous... you just delete the url, and you are allowed to recreate it immediately. Of course, you don't want to leave it deleted for long, in case someone else pinches it.

I guess it would be more convenient if wanting a redirect system, if it was actually on each users own servers & domain nam, rather than a service like tr.im. Then there are no restrictions, and the service can't be shut down! However having a redirect as http://tr.im/XXXX (just 4 letters after the slash, but not those 4!) is perfect for minimal typing in the address bar. That is what a client needs to type to get my auto-embedded helper from teammc servers.
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

Hard to say whats up, anyone whos concerned read this: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index ... opic=34658
Last edited by JohnMC on 2009-05-26 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

v3 is very close :)

A few quistions for anyone who cares:

[*]Can anyone explain to me what schook.dll does and if it helps polling enough to include it?
[*]Any idea on how to programaticly check if UVNC is currently connected?
Last edited by JohnMC on 2009-05-28 01:03, edited 2 times in total.
kayman

Post by kayman »

Sorry cant help with the questions but looking forward to v3 :)
JohnMC

Post by JohnMC »

Beta Update

(outdated)
Last edited by JohnMC on 2009-05-31 01:11, edited 4 times in total.