Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Required help

argothian

Required help

Post by argothian »

Hi all, i'm required to setup a remote helpdesk service for my company using the PCHelpWare program. my instruction are to set up a proxy so that both computer will connect to the proxy first before running PCHelpWare. Is it possible?
argothian

Re: Required help

Post by argothian »

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the repeater?
YY

Post by YY »

The PcHelpWare Repeater is used to help the establish of the connection between the PHW server & PHW viewer, when either/both of them are located at a restricted network environment.

The typical situation are:
- The viewer sits behind a router, where port forwarding is not allowd.
- Either/Both of them are restricted access internet via proxy.

The repeater can help to establish the connection under such difficult situation.

Reference the [topic=8898]PcHelpware Step by Step[/topic] for details of setup.
argothian

Post by argothian »

If that is the case, can i create my own repeater? Cause i'm required to set up the PHW for my company to support outside user.

My computer ------> repeater <---------- User

Am i able to create a connect like the one above? Cause i required to create a proxy that will allow my computer to use the proxy to connect to the user and for the user to use the proxy to connect to my computer.

Correct me if i'm wrong can i just run the repeater on the proxy and key in its ip address in the 'Host Repeater'? will it work this way? If not can someone please give me some advice cause i'm really stuck on this matter. Thanks in advance first.
argothian

Post by argothian »

More information.

- i'm sitting behind my company's network which restrict internet access
- the people i need to support are usually oversea with internet connection
- i need to set up a PC with internet connection to connect between me and my users.

Any advice is really appreciated...
YY

Post by YY »

argothian wrote:If that is the case, can i create my own repeater? Cause i'm required to set up the PHW for my company to support outside user.

My computer ------> repeater <---------- User

Am i able to create a connect like the one above?
Yes, you can.

argothian wrote:i required to create a proxy that will allow my computer to use the proxy to connect to the user and for the user to use the proxy to connect to my computer.
I want to clarify one point first:
PcHelpWare's Operation (connection through internet) is NOT depending on a proxy, it SUPPORTS the use of https proxy if one is existed in your network.
So if the proxy you are planning is dedicated for PcHelpWare operation, it is not necessary indeed.

argothian wrote:- i'm sitting behind my company's network which restrict internet access
What kinds of restriction? A NAT router, or a proxy?

argothian wrote:- the people i need to support are usually oversea with internet connection
This is the most difficult part, because every network have different configuration, you need to build several PHW server, or a PHW server with different connecting options.
argothian

Post by argothian »

I sit behind a proxy. My whole idea is for me to connect my computer(A) to another computer(B) with direct internet access and use computer B as a sort of proxy to remote access other computer. Correct me if i'm wrong, does computer B serve as the repeater?. Can this be done?

Computer A Computer B User
(My computer --------> (Direct internet --------> (Computers with internet
behind a proxy) Access) Access)

This is what i'm required to do... Anyone able to give me advise? Cause i tried with Computer B and direct connect to my user with no problem but we are in the same country. If my user is in other country does it matter?
argothian

Post by argothian »

Computer A ----------> Computer B------------> User
(My computer --------> (Direct internet --------> (Computers with internet
behind a proxy)------> Access)----------------> Access)

Sorry diagram should look like this...
Last edited by argothian on 2009-06-05 01:15, edited 1 time in total.
YY

Post by YY »

argothian wrote:Cause i tried with Computer B and direct connect to my user with no problem but we are in the same country. If my user is in other country does it matter?
It doesn't matter. If you can establish connection via internet in the same country, it can work everywhere in the world.

argothian wrote:I sit behind a proxy. ........ computer(B) with direct internet access .........
Is the following your present network configuration:
- Your pc (computer A) access internet via a proxy.
- Computer B can direct access internet, and it is where the proxy running on.
- Computer A and Computer B are on the same LAN
argothian

Post by argothian »

Sorry about all this trouble we just had a discussion and here are more detals.

The main setup remains the same

Computer A ------------> Computer B -----------------> User

But the change is this i need to setup my own repeater on computer B and make use of that repeater to connect to my users. Will it work? Cause i was told that if i set up my own repeater the speed would be faster. And if this is the case, Computer B will only act as a repeater with no function? Which mean i only just have to on the computer?

Correct me if i'm wrong, if i were to set up my own repeater at computer B (B is connected directly to the internet), will i be able to connect to my user from computer A (which is behind a proxy)? And will i be able to connect to my user using the repeater at B from other computer?

Please advise and thanks in advance...
YY

Post by YY »

argothian wrote:But the change is this i need to setup my own repeater on computer B and make use of that repeater to connect to my users. Will it work?
Yes, it will work with proper configuration.
Basically the requirement of the repeater (in your situation) is:
- Can be reached via internet, and be able accept inbound connection of port 443, 5500, 5901 (the default port used by repeater).

argothian wrote:i was told that if i set up my own repeater the speed would be faster
It is true.

argothian wrote:And if this is the case, Computer B will only act as a repeater with no function? Which mean i only just have to on the computer?
Yes, when you have a repeater running on computer, it wil act as a bridge between PHW-server & PHW-viewer (when both ends connect to this repeater), thus the connection can be established.

This is the function of a repeater, and yes, you just need to install the repeater on computer B (and let it run as service). Every time you turn on this computer, the repeater will able to perform the above-mentioned job, when the signal from Computer A & User come.

argothian wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong, if i were to set up my own repeater at computer B.................
Before answer your question, I want to explain the concept of the repeater operation first. I will correct your setup as follow:
Computer A ------------> Computer B <----------------- User

Do you see the difference?
For using a repeater to establish a connection, BOTH Computer A and User ARE REQUIRED TO CONNECT TO Computer B. (Note: NOT Computer B connects to User)
So if both Computer A & User can connect to the repeater (Computer B), the connection can be made successfully.

argothian wrote:if i were to set up my own repeater at computer B (B is connected directly to the internet), will i be able to connect to my user from computer A (which is behind a proxy)?
Yes, if the proxy allows https (most company's proxy do). The PHW-viewer can use https-proxy method to connect to the repeater at Computer B.
This is same for User too (means if User is also behind a https proxy)

argothian wrote:And will i be able to connect to my user using the repeater at B from other computer?
Yes you can, but the setup depends on the network envirnoment.
If that computer is behind a https proxy too, then you can use the exact same method as Computer A.
If it is just behind a NAT router, or a direct connection to internet, you should use normal repeater connection method.

Finally, in any case you must have the firewall (software/hardware) not blocking the PcHelpWare signal.
Last edited by YY on 2009-06-05 08:43, edited 2 times in total.
argothian

Post by argothian »

Ok now i sort of get it... Thanks for the step by step information.
So now what i have to do is the run the repeater on computer B as a service. But what do i key inside the 'host repeater'? cause the default i use for testing is repeater01.uvnc.info... This is the only part i'm not getting now. Really big thanks for letting me understand.
YY

Post by YY »

If you have your own repeater running on Computer B, and want to use it, you should enter the WAN IP of Computer B at the 'host repeater' field.

Once a time I had discussed the https-proxy operation with another member, although not direct related to your situation, but there are some captured pictures may be an easy reference of the setup.
Please see [topic=9982]Proxy for viewer and server problem[/topic].
argothian

Post by argothian »

Sorry for the late reply will give a try... thanks for the great respond YY.
argothian

Post by argothian »

Hi i have been getting the connection up but it does not last more then 3 minutes. it just disconnects with a connection failed error. Anyone encounter this problem?
argothian

Post by argothian »

As mention above, i still cant get my pchelpware to connect. my viewer sits behind a proxy and my client has direct internet access. Every time i tried to connect them together using the repeater i set up, i get an connection error message. anyone can help me with this? i surpose its some settings error...
YY

Post by YY »

argothian wrote:do i need to use port forwarding in my case? The connection from C to repeater is fine.......Computer C (192.168.0.23)
That's fine. Computer C is behind a NAT, but the PHWserver.exe is making the outbound connection, thus port forwarding is not required.

argothian wrote:do i need to use port forwarding in my case? .......Repeater at computer B (192.168.0.76)
Computer B (repeater) is behind a NAT, and because the repeater is necessary to wait for the income connection from PHWserver (using 5500 default) & PHWviewer (using 5901 default), so that port forwarding is required. You need to forward the two ports (from NAT router) to Computer B.

argothian wrote:do i need to use port forwarding in my case? .......Computer A (sapm.spam.spam.spam, access internet via proxy)
When a PHWviewer using the repeater, it initiates outbound connection (to repeater) too, thus no port forwarding is required.

However, since you are using https-proxy connection method, you need to have a setting/environment meet the PcHelpWare requirement:
1. When you "Use https proxy", the Viewer will try to use the same setting as what I.E. used. You may check the proxy setting of I.E. (at Tool\Internet Option\Connection\LAN Setting\Proxy), if there's the setting of the proxy server (IP & port), then PcHelpWare will retrieve and use this setting. If your company uses some other types of proxy, or even a transparent proxy, then PcHelpWare will not be able to communicate with it.

2. PcHelpWare doesn't support authentication. If your proxy have such requirement, and if this is not handled by the Windows, then PcHelpWare will not work.
Last edited by YY on 2009-06-30 02:39, edited 3 times in total.
argothian

Post by argothian »

So i need to forward the two ports at computer B? and my company requires authentication which means pchelpware will not work in my case?

After some time i realize that computer B is a waste as i only run the repeater on that PC and nothing else. Is there a way where i can run the repeater and viewer at computer B and make use of it as a gateway for me (at computer A) to access computer C? I dont think pchelpware allows 2 connections at the same time right? So can anyone suggest any best method i could use?
YY

Post by YY »

argothian wrote:So i need to forward the two ports at computer B?
From the information you provided, the IP of the computer B (192.168.0.76) is a private IP, then most likely it is behind a NAT Router (isn't it?). In such case you must have the router forwarding the PHW signal to the repeater.

argothian wrote:and my company requires authentication which means pchelpware will not work in my case?
What I mentioned of the authentication is the Authentication Of The Proxy, not the authentication of Windows (the User Name/Password of the logon screen). Are we talking the same matter?
If the proxy is using basic authentication, maybe your windows has been configured and the PcHelpWare is not necessary to handle this.
In short, have you checked your IE, about the Tool\Internet Option\Connection\LAN Setting\Proxy?
If it has the setting of the proxy, most likely the PcHelpWare can operate with your proxy.

argothian wrote:After some time i realize that computer B is a waste as i only run the repeater on that PC and nothing else. Is there a way where i can run the repeater and viewer at computer B and make use of it as a gateway for me (at computer A) to access computer C?
This is not a waste!!!
This is exactly the function of a repeater -- acting as a bridge so that link up the signal between PHWserver & PHWviewer. The result: you (at Computer A) can watch the remote desktop of Computer C.

argothian wrote:I dont think pchelpware allows 2 connections at the same time right?
Yes the PCHviewer can handle one remote session only, but you can run multi sessions of PHWviewer at the same time, and each of them connected to different client. The only requirement is all them using different unique ID.
argothian

Post by argothian »

Sorry i'm getting a little bit confused :

- how do i get the router to forward the signal to the repeater?
- under my internet explorer option, the 'use automatic configuration script' option is selected, does this means pchelpware will work?

Is is rather confusing as when i test with all the computer using the 192.180.x.x ip address it can work it is just that when i try to switch computer A to 10.100.x.x ip it just cannot seem to connect. is it the problem with the internet access? does this means my company's router is blocking the signal or something like that?
YY

Post by YY »

argothian wrote:- how do i get the router to forward the signal to the repeater?
You need to log into the management GUI of the router to make the setting. You need to reference the product manual.

argothian wrote:- under my internet explorer option, the 'use automatic configuration script' option is selected, does this means pchelpware will work?
That means the setting is not stored inside the windows registry, but the IE is configured to run a script to get the setting of the proxy. PcHelpWare is unable to work under this condition directly -- it need to retrieve the setting from registry.

argothian wrote:Is is rather confusing as when i test with all the computer using the 192.180.x.x ip address it can work it is just that when i try to switch computer A to 10.100.x.x ip it just cannot seem to connect.
Not surprising, as all parties are inside the same LAN, not signal routing is required.

argothian wrote:is it the problem with the internet access? does this means my company's router is blocking the signal or something like that?
Sorry but I think you need someone that is technically stronger, and a man having solid understanding of your company's network infrastructure to help you. As your company use a proxy to control the internet access, then obviously some kinds of limitation or blocking do exist.
argothian

Post by argothian »

ok understood. thanks for the help. Any problem again i will ask...
YY

Post by YY »

No problem. Any Time. :wink:

Just a suggestion, you may try to look into the content of the proxy.pac (automatic configuration script), may be it is just a simple information of the proxy IP & port. In such case, you can simply input them manually into the I.E. proxy setting, thus can fulfil the requirement of PcHelpWare.
tom_x

Post by tom_x »

FIRST: it is about web proxy (the one that is used in IE) and not about repeater!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that this problem is FATAL PROBLEM for some users. It was also discused here: http://forum.ultravnc.info/viewtopic.php?t=9025 and other places...

In my case, there is proxy.pac REQUIRED for IE, because there are different rules for FTP, different for HTTP and HTTPS and diferent for some special web servers in special DMZs... And next problem is that I use automatic discovery and IE proxy use autentication via NTLM.
And on the other side, it is NOT REQUIRED that PcHelpWare find, parse and interpretate the proxy.pac and autenticate using NTLM, because user could write it OR I can provide them customization file using proxy definition - BUT this is not supported.

So in those cases it is impossbile to use PcHelpWare, because it is more important that IE works perfectly.

The question (future request) is: to implement web proxy parameter in customization file (http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/customization.html) and/or proxy definition in GUI.
Options needed:
- IE proxy setting
- manual proxy setting (URL, PORT and optionaly username & password)