Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Connection lost when user logs off or switching users

gai-jin

Connection lost when user logs off or switching users

Post by gai-jin »

We recently moved to using uvnc 1.0.9.5, up from 1.0.8.2. This helped with some of our slow refresh and other issues on newly upgraded win7 pc's, but has introduced a new problem.

When I'm connected with vnc to the pc, if I lock the remote workstation and try to switch users, I get kicked off, and can't reconnect until the pc is rebooted. Even if the local user logs back in (unlocking their existing session), it doesn't allow vnc to reconnect.

I'm also told by a co-worker that if the local user logs off instead of locking the workstation, the same problem occurs. The VNC session is disconnected, and can't be reconnected until after a reboot.

Is there something I'm missing that would cause this?

This is in a 2008R2 domain environment, with Win7 Enterprise x64 pc's.
rschares

Re: Connection lost when user logs off or switching users

Post by rschares »

I am noticing the same issue in our environment.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Running as Service (system account)
MSLogon II
Both Server/Viewer are 1.0.9.5

I've read through; [topic=27125][/topic] in hopes to find a solution but still nothing seems to correct it.

From a fresh boot I can connect to the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen, log in, and manage the machine. However, after selecting log off I am disconnected and cannot reconnect until a reboot. I have tried variations of the following settings; AllowShutdown, kickrdp, QuerySetting, and QueryIfNoLogon.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks,
~Robert
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Could you first try with the 10951 server. (will be released as 10956)
Latest version
http://www.uvnc.eu/download/winvnc_dnstest.zip

This is a stable version, still beta because the java viewer require an update and not yet finished.
rschares

Post by rschares »

Thanks Rudi De Vos! This seems to be working a lot better for multiple reconnects without requiring the machine reboot. Here are the steps I used for anyone else having this issue;

1. Installed 1.0.9.5 (stable) - This is because the attached file does not include the whole setup.
2. Manually stopped the machine service from the command line (net stop uvnc_service)
3. Renamed the previous winvnc.exe to winvnc_org.exe
4. Copied over the file from Rudi's attachment and named the 64-bit version to winvnc.exe
5. Rebooted the machine

Afterwards, I was able to remote into the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen, log in, manage the machine, and then log out. I was disconnected from my UltraVNC viewer during the log out process, however, I was able to reconnect to the machine. I have tried both a domain account and local account logoff and all appears well.

Normally we do not allow "beta" software on in-use machines for our School District, however, since we do not use the Java Broswer I think we'll let it slide through. Thanks again Rudi!
Last edited by rschares on 2011-03-03 17:48, edited 3 times in total.
~Robert
B

Post by B »

Is it possible to really fix this before the next version is released? It's nice that you can reconnect now, but it shouldn't really be dropping (on logoff) in the first place, should it?
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Session switch, if you don't set the reconnect (viewer option) you need to it manual.

This can't be fixed as winvnc need to be running in the console session.
The service monitor this session and restart winvnc when needed, this natural cause the server to disconnect.
Last edited by Rudi De Vos on 2011-03-03 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
magataganm

Post by magataganm »

Noticed issue when connecting to a Win 7 (x86 with Parental Controls active using 1.0.9.5). I am using 1.0.9.5 without issue as both client & server on Vista (x86), W7 (x86 and x64) however, when connecting to a 1.0.9.5 server hosted on W7 w/Parental Controls active, I am unable to reconnect to service after system returns from sleep/suspension. Rebooting the w7 machine solves the issue. I have reverted to 1.0.8.2 on these systems (only) and am no longer experiencing this issue.

Not sure if this is a related issue.

thanks
Last edited by magataganm on 2011-03-05 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
B

Post by B »

So I wonder how the commercials apps (GoToMyPC, LogMeIn, etc.) deal with this; I don't recall them dropping during logoffs...
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

You need to move the network part in the service, then connection stay alive while you restart the desktop part.
B

Post by B »

Okay, cool. Is anything like that on your roadmap?
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

A lot of work...
network is in encoders/encryption/connection
2012 ?
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

I've got the same problem here.
The PC I'm remotely working on is behind a router I cannot configure. I therefore use a reverse connection to my PC and voila, I'm in.
The problem is that the other machine has XP Pro running and sometimes I have to log in as Administrator (no, run as Administrator won't always do, sadly).
Thats where the log off kicks me in the nuts. I can't reconnect because I can't get past the router.

I do hope it gets implemented some time in the future. I really like uvnc.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

The service_commandline allow you to setup a autoreconnect invers connection.
In case the server loose the viewer connection, it just try to make it again.
This also allow you to reboot and still get connected again.
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

Thanks Rudi De Vos!
It works and I personally can live with that functionality but I first tried solely adding -autoreconnect to service_commandline and it didn't work. Only with the additional -connect host::port it worked but only to that single host of course.
I was hoping that by setting -autoreconnect only the last issued connection would be retried but it didnt work. The reason I wanted it like that is so that when the user has a problem on that PC he / she just has to right click on the icon and go on "Add new client", fill in whatever host should be able to connect and if that host gets disconnected because of log off winvnc would try to connect to that specific host again.
Didn't work for me but for now the single host solution is good enough.

Edit: From the fix you posted in Post #3, which one is for XP (32bit)? The normal winvnc.exe or winvnc_w2k.exe? I'm not sure which since I read somewhere on the site (can't find it now) that Win 2k is not working with the newer versions because of VS2010 not supporting it or something.
Last edited by Snafu on 2011-03-16 00:41, edited 2 times in total.
redge

Post by redge »

The normal winvnc.exe or winvnc_w2k.exe?
winvnc (folder x64) for xp/w2k3/vista/w2k8/w2k8r2/7 64bit (VS2010)
winvnc (root folder) xp/w2k3/vista/w2k8/7 32bit (VS2010)
winvnc (folder w2k) only for w2k0 = windows 2000 (VS2008)
Last edited by redge on 2011-03-16 00:59, edited 3 times in total.
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
ninefofo

Post by ninefofo »

Hello,

Wondering if this topic is still being moderated or followed? :shock: Has there been any fixes to this? I use v1.0.9.6.1, which loses the connection on logoff or switching users. 32 bit Windows XP SP3 is our platform of choice, yeah I know. Were working on it. :surprise:

Thanks

Brad