Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Server site multi monitor test builds

Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Server site multi monitor test builds

Post by Rudi De Vos »

JnZn558, is now active developing on ultravnc.
He is attacking the multi monitor switching (primary/secondary, third/all)
on the pc running winvnc.exe.
This was broken and buggy for a long time.

Test build will be made available via this thread, but final go in next build (1097).
10961 will only contain bug fixes and minor code changes.

JnZn55, thanks for you time and skils you are putting in ukltravnc.
redge

Re: Server site multi monitor test builds

Post by redge »

As i seen and post below:
http://forum.ultravnc.info/viewtopic.php?t=18351

there only missing fix of n°5 multi monitor for finalize 10961
so if corrected code of multi monitor of developer JnZn55 is done,
and let review users like B, YY, ... who use multi monitors and some others serious testers
their can validate and made 10961 better stable for multi monitors without side effect, right ?

so you can spend your free time to others things for next release 1097 :-)
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
bwwcti

Post by bwwcti »

While the UltraVNC method of "switching" monitors may be nice when using the UltraVNC client, I think a better approach would be to allow a separate server TCP port for each display.

Ideally, I would like to set up a single instance of UltraVNC running as a service. The default connection :0 would show the full desktop, including all monitors arranged as they are geometrically. This is currently possible with UltraVNC. I would then like the server to listen for connections on :1 to show just display 1. Connection :2 would show just display 2, etc. For any multi-head system, there would be n+1 ports open and ready to serve any VNC client with all displays or just a particular display. Multiple simultaneous connections could be possible, though mouse and keyboard contention would exist just as it does with multiple sessions to a single display.

This would be a 100% server-side implementation, and would be client-agnostic. It would not require any special UI functions to select a particular monitor, and it would not be limited to an arbitrary number of displays. The user would simply connect to hostname:0 for all displays or hostname:n for the nth display.

I have tried to configure a system like this using UltraVNC as well as RealVNC. Neither one will support it natively at the moment of course, but I had hoped that I could use a combination of multiple instances to make it work. Unfortunately, the results have been mixed, and a proper server-side implementation of this would work much better.

Does anyone else think such an implementation would be useful? Is there any reason such an implementation would be bad?
B

Post by B »

I guess the only big problem is that those "display" numbers are already reserved for connecting to a VNC server for sequential X session displays in Unix. I think.

I suppose you could easily reserve a particular range for your purpose; it does sound like a useful paradigm.
bwwcti

Post by bwwcti »

B wrote:I guess the only big problem is that those "display" numbers are already reserved for connecting to a VNC server for sequential X session displays in Unix. I think.

I suppose you could easily reserve a particular range for your purpose; it does sound like a useful paradigm.
I believe you may be thinking of TCP ports 6000-6099, while VNC uses 5900-5999. In fact, in UNIX the VNC server at :2 uses TCP port 5002 for VNC traffic and port 6002 for X traffic.

I believe the display ports I have described actually fit quite well with this model, especially given that UltraVNC only runs on MS Windows and will generally have only one active UI session.
B

Post by B »

Your distribution may be set up that way, but I'm quite sure those are not the traditional VNC display numbers -- they were always 5901, 5902, etc. for all platforms. (VNC was always multiplatform.)

Again, it's not a big deal anyway, since developers and/or users can set aside suitable ranges.
bwwcti

Post by bwwcti »

B wrote:Your distribution may be set up that way, but I'm quite sure those are not the traditional VNC display numbers -- they were always 5901, 5902, etc. for all platforms. (VNC was always multiplatform.)

Again, it's not a big deal anyway, since developers and/or users can set aside suitable ranges.
Ah, I believe I had a typo in there. I used the example of port 5002, which should have read 5902. I believe we are in agreement on the use of TCP ports for VNC and X. My first experience with VNC was in UNIX, which I always found nice for being able to create a fresh new X server for each server session. Of course, 5900 would have been reserved for capturing the local display :0.

In any event, since MS Windows generally has only the one UI, UltraVNC and other VNC flavors typically use :0 to capture it. It only seems natural to then use the (often) otherwise unused :1, :2, etc. (TCP 5901, 5902...) ports for this function.

In Windows, I typically prefer UltraVNC as both a server and a client. However, I have may other devices that use their own vanilla VNC implementations as servers and clients. I have recently had a need to have other (standard) viewers be able to access discrete screens on a MS Windows server, and this is what led me to my suggestion. It seems to be the most cross-flavor compatible implementation of multi-head support I can come up with, which may not be saying too much. In any case, I hope that others agree.

I appreciate your time in considering my suggestions, though I understand that this would not necessarily be a simple feature to implement. Hopefully the developers will find it as logical as I have.
B

Post by B »

Yeah, I'd love to hear Rudi's (primary developer's) opinion on the idea. I think some people still use the additional display numbers in VNC for Windows, but honestly I don't recall what they use them for!
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

test build 10962 (vS2010 xp>=)
multi monitor patched version ( JnZn558 )
http://www.uvnc.eu/download/10962

Multi monitor should be switchable by click on full desktop button viewer side. just click always the switch button to switch as follow order . 1 -> 2 - 3 -> 1 and 2 -> 2 and 3 -> whole desktop.
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

Rudi, I tried running 10962 on my Win7 system. It seems to be a bit better -- the mouse does move around now, instead of being stuck on the left side of the laptop screen -- but it's still on the wrong display. I connected to port 5900 and it displays my main (big) monitor, but the mouse tracks on the laptop display.

I tried changing the uvnc Server Property settings to display No. 0, 1, and 2, but nothing changed (other than the port it was listening on).

I don't understand your instructions telling how to switch. Are you talking about using the uvnc viewer? Remember that I'm accessing my Win7 system from a VNC client on my iPad, not with the uvnc viewer.
JnZn558

Post by JnZn558 »

garyfritz wrote:Rudi, I tried running 10962 on my Win7 system. It seems to be a bit better -- the mouse does move around now, instead of being stuck on the left side of the laptop screen -- but it's still on the wrong display. I connected to port 5900 and it displays my main (big) monitor, but the mouse tracks on the laptop display.

I tried changing the uvnc Server Property settings to display No. 0, 1, and 2, but nothing changed (other than the port it was listening on).

I don't understand your instructions telling how to switch. Are you talking about using the uvnc viewer? Remember that I'm accessing my Win7 system from a VNC client on my iPad, not with the uvnc viewer.
hello, switch to other display show below.

1. start server
2. start viewer, connect to server ( driver must be active )
3. after successfull connection, it show primary display, click on full desktop button on viewer toolbar, it will show you the second display.
4. Do you have more than 2 monitors, click again on full desktop button again, it switch to third display.
5. click once more again on same button to switch first two display ( it will show you 2 display, primay and secondary together )
6. click once more again on same button to switch last two display ( it will show you 2 display, secondary and third together )
7. click once more again on same button to switch to full desktop ( it will show you all 3 display )
C/C++, Assembler, Delphi, .Net, Java, PHP
B

Post by B »

But he's not running the UltraVNC viewer!
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

3. after successfull connection, it show primary display, click on full desktop button on viewer toolbar, it will show you the second display.
You're right, B. The iPad viewer doesn't have that button.

That feature would be nice but it shouldn't be necessary. There is a *BUG* in the current server in that it shows one display, but the mouse acts on another display. If that bug was fixed, I don't think I'd need the switching feature.
JnZn558

Post by JnZn558 »

garyfritz wrote:
You're right, B. The iPad viewer doesn't have that button.

That feature would be nice but it shouldn't be necessary. There is a *BUG* in the current server in that it shows one display, but the mouse acts on another display. If that bug was fixed, I don't think I'd need the switching feature.
is this bug in version 10962? how can I reproduce this bug?
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

Yes, 10962. I produce it with a server running 10962 on Win7. Laptop display is on the left, external monitor (main display) is on the right.

Previous builds displayed the main display but the mouse was stuck on the left edge of the laptop display. 10962 moves the mouse properly, but it displays the main display and moves/clicks the mouse on the laptop display.

I'm accessing it with a VNC client on an iPad. I tried accessing it from a uvnc client on another (XP) system, but when I tried it the viewer crashed. It didn't crash like that before, but I don't recall what started the viewer crash -- probably 10962?? Not sure what version that uvnc viewer is -- I can't find it anywhere in the viewer. I just downloaded it a week or two ago but the Readme.txt says it's 1.0.8.2, dated 2009?
JnZn558

Post by JnZn558 »

garyfritz wrote:Yes, 10962. I produce it with a server running 10962 on Win7. Laptop display is on the left, external monitor (main display) is on the right.

Previous builds displayed the main display but the mouse was stuck on the left edge of the laptop display. 10962 moves the mouse properly, but it displays the main display and moves/clicks the mouse on the laptop display.

I'm accessing it with a VNC client on an iPad. I tried accessing it from a uvnc client on another (XP) system, but when I tried it the viewer crashed. It didn't crash like that before, but I don't recall what started the viewer crash -- probably 10962?? Not sure what version that uvnc viewer is -- I can't find it anywhere in the viewer. I just downloaded it a week or two ago but the Readme.txt says it's 1.0.8.2, dated 2009?
hello,

I just download the 10962 and tested, everything seems to be ok, I tested it in vmware guest os and host. I will tried it later again without vmware.
back to your problem. correct me please if I am wrong.

You have a laptop running win7, laptop display is secondary (position on the left side) and a external monitor (primary display on the right side).
you use 10962 server and viewer version? correct? I saw last post from somebody the ipad viewer version do not have the "full desktop" button, it is necessary for proper working. maybe implemented later. you said mouse click event on the monitor display ( primary ), but it shows in the viewer in laptop display? Do you use it with driver? it is necessary. does the crash occur with driver or without, when does it occur? immedialy after connection or during a session?
please be sure you must use 10962 server and viewer for working.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Some people use non ultravnc viewers, no button to switch desktop.
In that case, they need to set the default via ultravnc.ini

ultravnc.ini
primary=1
secondary=0

p=1 s=0 -> show primary display
p=1 s=1 -> show both
p=0 s=1 -> show secondary

I guess the issue is how to set the default behaviour of the server...
bwwcti

Post by bwwcti »

Is there currently a way to set the INI file to handle more than two displays? Also, since Windows can set any monitor to be "primary" in the Display Settings (e.g. monitor 2), would it make more sense to have a numbered system instead to explicitly select a monitor in the INI file? Something like

ultravnc.ini
monitor1=1
monitor2=1
monitor3=1
etc...

This would allow the current multi-monitor scheme to support an arbitrary number of displays on the server, and may or may not be simpler to implement.

On a slightly unrelated note, I frequently have the need to use a VNC server to share more than two monitors, and I also need to support non-Ultra clients using the standard VNC protocol. I believe that it would be much more flexible if there was a way to handle monitor selection on the server side. As I suggested earlier, perhaps a long-term approach could involve multiple VNC server ports to allow any VNC viewer to select what to view?

TCP 5900 - All Displays, arranged according to geometry specified in the Display Settings
TCP 5901 - Monitor 1 (perhaps just a software-cropped portion of All Displays?)
TCP 5902 - Monitor 2 (ditto)
TCP 5903 - Monitor 3 (ditto)
etc...

I believe you had indicated that this is not possible without a major rewrite, so I expect this option is off the table for UltraVNC. However, it does seem that such an approach could address many of the multiple-monitor needs people seem to have. I know it would certainly be a godsend for myself and the systems I support. Ideally this would be handled by a single server instance running in service mode, but perhaps UltraVNC server could be configured to run multiple concurrent instances (each with its own INI)?

No matter what happens, I would like to congratulate UltraVNC on being the best performing VNC server available for Windows. UltraVNC is a truly invaluable tool, and Rudi has done a great job balancing the needs (and sometimes off-the-wall requests) of users with the challenges inherent in building a stable and solid software package. I hope the suggestions I have made are taken in the spirit in which they are intended, which is nothing more than an earnest attempt at contributing to a project that I can not otherwise contribute to.
B

Post by B »

Rudi De Vos wrote:Some people use non ultravnc viewers, no button to switch desktop.
In that case, they need to set the default via ultravnc.ini

ultravnc.ini
primary=1
secondary=0

p=1 s=0 -> show primary display
p=1 s=1 -> show both
p=0 s=1 -> show secondary

I guess the issue is how to set the default behaviour of the server...
Maybe as a quick fix you could dedicate a hotkey to the switch-display function?
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

A hotkey on server to simulate a viewer button ?
Key need to be free on viewer else it get captured on the viewer PC, special key need special viewer handling
Not possible.
B

Post by B »

I guess I'm thinking that you pick a key sequence that is typically unassigned locally and that WOULD be passed along by most viewers, and you capture it at the server side instead of sending it to the target machine's OS. No? Picking the "correct" default key sequence is the tricky part, but why couldn't that work?
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Because the viewer is not ultravnc and we have no control how another viewer gonna pass special keys, if he pass it.
B

Post by B »

Even something like a regular letter ("Q") or a control sequence key ("Ctrl-Q") ? I thought those went straight through; otherwise the viewer wouldn't be working with the server at all.

I'm not trying to argue -- if it won't work, it won't work. It's more that I'm trying to understand why.
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

JnZn558 wrote:You have a laptop running win7, laptop display is secondary (position on the left side) and a external monitor (primary display on the right side).
you use 10962 server and viewer version? correct?
Correct. Except I'm using an iPad viewer.
you said mouse click event on the monitor display ( primary ), but it shows in the viewer in laptop display?
The main display appears in the iPad vnc viewer. But when I move the mouse, it moves on the *secondary* display. Mouse clicks act on the secondary display.

BTW if I move the secondary (laptop) display to the RIGHT of the main display, it works properly! I.e. with the laptop display moved (in Windows config) to the right of the main display, the iPad vnc viewer shows the main display AND the mouse moves/clicks happen on the main display. (Unfortunately that's not where my laptop physically sits in my office, and it would be difficult to change.)
Do you use it with driver? it is necessary.
Sorry, what driver is that?
Rudi De Vos wrote:In that case, they need to set the default via ultravnc.ini
ultravnc.ini
primary=1
secondary=0
!! Is that ini file already supported? I haven't seen it in any of the downloads I've looked at.
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

I'm guessing the answer is "no."
JnZn558

Post by JnZn558 »

there are a bug that causes crash. its only one I found, it does not happend everytime. I will fixed it. does anyone else find bugs in this patch?
danjeh

Post by danjeh »

Hi,
I am wondering if there is a way to save the vnc viewer config file so that it will automatically display ONLY the secondary monitor (once connection is made etc). I am able to switch to the secondary monitor with no problem but would like to be able to "block out" the primary monitor from the viewers display right as the connection is made so they can not see it at any point..

Is this possible at this point? as it would be very usefull for me.
B

Post by B »

I think Rudi explained it above, and that you just need "primary=0, secondary=1".
jbmbhs

Post by jbmbhs »

Rudi De Vos wrote:test build 10962 (vS2010 xp>=)
multi monitor patched version ( JnZn558 )
http://www.uvnc.eu/download/10962
This patched build works as I need but standard 1092 buid doesn't but I don't knew this and overwrite this custom build with stock 1092 in several machines...

Now I can't download again this custom build.

Where can I get this patched build?

Best regards´
Juan Belmonte
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Try ( patches added but not tested)
http://www.uvnc.eu/download/10963

multimon patch was added