Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Install UltraVNC remote using RDP - Windows 7 Simplified pls

rdrunna

Install UltraVNC remote using RDP - Windows 7 Simplified pls

Post by rdrunna »

I have XP and Windows 7 platform. XP is working fine

Windows 7, I have over 500 computer remote. I am trying to start with just one, where I can remote into the computer using RDP as an administrator and install UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.

However, the first problem is the drivers don't install remotely

However, I can connect if I take the files from my XP install and copy them over to c:\program files\ultravnc, but sometimes I can't connect and other times when I can, I get either a black screen or I get the screen, but can't do anything. Some times it's in service mode and other times application mode.

I just want to use this product and install it remotely. I don't want to blast it out to all the computer at once until I know that it works with at least just one.

I've gone to the site to get some "simple" instructions on How to and all I get is confusing information. I'm not an expert at this, but I have to say that all the different supposed solutions are more confusing than the next. I really could use some help and straight answers. Even step by step; if someone can please help?!

Thank you

:shock: :shock: :what?: :-? :yell:
rdrunna

Re: Install UltraVNC remote using RDP - Windows 7 Simplified

Post by rdrunna »

PS.... I remote into Windows XP and Windows 7 from either Windows XP and Windows 7 because I have two computers where I have both operating systems and the field has a combination too. So I'm hoping that the OS's can all speak to one another. PSS... Is Secure VNC PluginARC4.dsm better than MSRC4Plugin.dsm and to I need to have both sites the same Plugin to communicate, or can it be setup where it doesn't matter. Thank you again and sorry for not including this in the initial post.... :)
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

server/viewer: use 10961
plugin:SecureVNCPlugin.dsm

The OS of the viewer doesn't matter ( xp/win7/x32/x64/ipad/unix).
Only make sure if you use a x64 viewer, you also use the x64 SecureVNCPlugin.dsm plugin.

SecureVNCPlugin.dsm: allow you to use a key or a long password

How do you want to use vnc on win7?
You already have RDP access, i guess this is the special RDP session ( only one possible and during RDP local display disconnect)

winvnc running as application: show current desktop (console/RDP)
winvnc running as service always connect to the console

winvnc running as service + Restricted RDP behave strange: vnc connect to console, and RDP disable console
----> Balck screen.
Using both simultanious is not possible
( there exist a special parameter kickrdp, to kill the rdp session when the viewer connect and force the console "active", this was actual made
for fast user switching, but i think it also work with the restricted RDP session)

driver:
A video driver can only be installed from the console, you need to mirror the real display driver and not the rdp virtual driver.
The OS block all video driver installations via RDP, seems MS did this to prevent you to overwrite the RDP video driver.
Do you realy need it?
bitblit:
On old PC, the memory copy between video card and system was slow, using a video driver mde it a lot faster.
On Vita>= the video cards are extreme fast, video to system memory copy happens in a ms while it took 100ms on older video cards.
detection:
The mirror driver natural know what he writes and perfect pass it to vnc, without you need to poll for changes in combination with the schook.dll.
The cpu need to do more work, and sometimes little updates take a few cycles before it is detected.
Using this settings, it run quite fast on win7
[v]poll fullscreen
[v] hook dll
[v] low accuracy
[_] disable aero
[_] capture alpha-blending
aero:
Mirror driver no aero possible, video switch in basic color mode ( OS fixed)
Without the mirror driver you can keep the aero enabled

Using the mirror driver or not depend on the usage, work on it for hours, or giving remote support.
For the latest, the mirror driver isn't realy needed.

Installation:
Yes, you can copy the folder from one system to another, the only thing you miss is the uninstaller.

Required files
*winvnc.exe
*plugin
*ultravnc.ini (this allow you to distribute the presets,passwd,plugin passwd to all systems)
test with plugin, i'm not sure if the plugin passwd ( if used) will work, possible crypto api use some system defined value's
*schoook.dll ( this hook detect menu's, text, window changes and pass it direct to the engine )

win7 and UAC
*winvnc need to be in program files ( secure folder)
*service is required to be able to access uac opened windows

Have fun testing
vxu

Post by vxu »

very nice condensed information! would be great to have this as a summary in a documentation!

install via RDP: wouldnt it be possible to plan installation to run after a restart? have the driver installation run directly after restart, before a user logs in. not sure what ways there are to do this... something like runonce? task scheduler?

what command would be needed to be run on the commandline to do the driver installation?
vxu

Post by vxu »

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Setup

possible?
vxu

Post by vxu »

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137367/en-us

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ RunServices
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ RunServicesOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ RunOnce\Setup

Keys 1 through 7 apply to Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition (Me).

Keys 1 through 4 also apply to Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000.

For Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0 SP3 or later, and Windows 2000, an additional rule is available; for keys 3 and 4, the value name can be prefixed with an asterisk to force the program to run even in Safe mode.

Keys 1 through 4 are run each time a new user logs in.

Keys 5 and 6 are run in the background when the logon dialog box first appears, or at this stage of the boot process if there is no logon. These keys are for background services such as remote registry service and are run only once per boot.

Key 7 is run as part of Setup's first-boot activities, or after you use the Add/Remove Programs Wizard.

Under each of these keys is a series of values. The values are used to allow multiple subentries to exist without overwriting one another.

The data value for a value is a command line. By default, Run keys are ignored in Safe mode. For keys 3 and 4, the value name can be prefixed with an exclamation point to defer deletion of the value until after the command has been completed.

For keys 3, 4, and 6, the value is deleted before the command line is run unless overridden as noted above. As a result, if a RunOnce operation fails to run properly, the component that failed will not be asked to run again the next time you start the computer.

Key 7 is used only by Setup. This key displays the progress dialog box as the keys are run one at a time. For key 7, the name of the value is the name that is displayed in the dialog box.
BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland »

I encountered the same issue and wanted to post my simple workaround, though mine is more for individual workstations instead of multiple through ADP.

1) Remote into PC with RDP.

2) Install UltraVNC, choosing options for server and silent server.

3) Launch "UVNC Server" and use the tray icon to configure UltraVNC. Restart the server service and test that you can connect (control won't work).
3a) Right click on the UVNC tray icon and go to Properties, then check the "Use mirror driver" box.

4) Reboot machine (start>run>shutdown -r -t 0).

5) Remote into machine using UltraVNC. This will put you at the login window.

6) Install mirror driver and reboot again.

Now the mirror driver will work. To test, right click on the UVNC tray icon and go to Properties, and click the test button.