Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Extremely slow response

rsutton

Extremely slow response

Post by rsutton »

Hi all. I have been using uvnc for so long I can't remember when I started (~2005?). Any way, I have a uVNC server running on an xp machine that I use for a file server (single processor, 1gig ram). My development machines all use Win 7. Also, I have a laptop running Win 7 and a Linux machine that I run Apache on.. I have never used the mirror driver on the xp machine because the speed was excellent! I was running ver 1.0.9.6.2 of uVNC.

Recently, I upgraded the laptop to Win Pro 8. I decided that I should upgrade to ver 1.1.8.0 . Well, I uninstalled the uVNC server from xp and then did an install of ver 1.1.8.0. Again, no mirror driver was installed. I also uninstalled all my other uVNC software on the other systems and installed new copies of ver 1.1.8.0. On testing, to my horror, the response was so slow that it sometimes took 15-30 sec to get a screen refresh. I tried tests from all my machines and the results were the same. I tried re-booting all machines. I uninstalled and re-installed. I rebooted. Same results. Very slow.

Well, I uninstalled and re-installed ver 1.0.9.6.2 and my blazing speed is back. Even on the win pro 8 machine. What's so different on the new version that would make it so slow for me? I do not want to run the mirror driver.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Re: Extremely slow response

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Looks strange...

1.1.8 was reported faster in win7 and win8.
Are you using th same (poll) options ?

fast test.

1) download 1.1.8 bin zip
2) rename winvnc.exe 1.0.9.6.2 and replace it with the 1.1.8 version (this insure both have the same options)
3) test

You can also copy the ultravncv.ini from 10962 and copy it in the 1180 folder if it was installed in a seperated folder.
( All seting are in ultravnc.ini)
rsutton

Post by rsutton »

Rudi,
Sorry for not getting back quicker. I had a lot of tests to run.

I tried your suggestion of renaming old uvnc and extracting new (v. 1.1.8.0 from bin zip) in it's place. I then rebooted and everything was fast!. I then uninstalled uvnc from the xp machine and installed ver 1.1.8.0 again. I rebooted and everything was again extremely slow! I tried copying the old ini file over and that didn't make any difference.

I believe that since I left the ver 1.1.8.0 viewers on the viewing machines that this tells me that the problem is definitely in the winvnc.exe program itself. I am also curious as to why the new ver 1.1.8.0 installs into a 'uvnc bvba' directory?

I have un-installed the ver 1.1.8.0 server and re-installed ver 1.0.9.6.2 server. I left the ver 1.1.8.0 viewers on the viewing machines and everything is working well, again!

I am curious if anyone else is having this problem...

Dick
Bonji

Post by Bonji »

We use 1.1.8 on Win7 and Win8 without any performance issues. I don't use the installer to install uVNC so that's a variance.
-Ben
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

The simple one "uvnc bvba":
MS ask to use first the company name and then the sofware name ( win8 recommendations)
I tried your suggestion of renaming old uvnc and extracting new (v. 1.1.8.0 from bin zip) in it's place. I then rebooted and everything was fast!.
This would indicate that the 1180 winvnc.exe is working when you copy it in an existing installation and fail when you install it ?
Then it could indicate that a dll is wrong in the 1180 installer...

WHat are the poll options you have ?
rsutton

Post by rsutton »

My poll options are:

Poll Full Screen - (checked)
Poll Forground Window - (checked)
Poll Window Under Cursor - (checked)

System HookDll - (checked)
Low Accuracy (Turbo Speed) - (checked)

All others unchecked.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Fresh 1180 install
The only thing that i could find
After running the installer the poll options are set to use only the "system hook", full screen polling is off.
If you connect with this default options it's extreem slow.
Activating the polling solves it.

This could more or less explain why dumpin the 1180 exe in a 10962 install works OK, it use the correct ultravnc.ini from 10962.
You tested it by copying the ultravnc.ini from 10962 in a 1180 folder and this failed. Possible you didn't restarted winvnc as ini file
is red during startup.

Tested on a XP virtualPC install.
This seems only to be happen on XP, using the same installer on win7 it has correct default properties after install.
rsutton

Post by rsutton »

Thanks, Rudi. I'll do another clean install and then check the polling options then reboot.

I'll report back...
rsutton

Post by rsutton »

Rudi,
I have run more tests and the results are the same: extremly slow. When I say 'extremely slow' I mean that I can watch windows draw each patch of the windows as if they are in slow motion: borders, scroll bars, title bar, etc. I am always rebooting after the changes.

I have made sure that ALL options that I can set are exactly the same. One thing that I have failed to mention previously is that I use Adam Walling's SecureVNC plugin. I don't know if that could make a difference. I have downloaded from the site to make sure that it is current. Ver 1.0.9.6.2 appears to include it in the install, whereas, I have to copy it into the ver 1.1.8.0.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Sorry without answers...
If it was something general we would have noticed it on one of my pc's, looks isolated to something on your system.

The biggest problem with each bug is being able to repeat it.... after that it's fixed in 10 minutes.
rsutton

Post by rsutton »

Thanks for your help, Rudi. You are so right! Identifying the problem is always the hardest part.

I am still functional with ver 1.0.9.6.2, so as I get time I will try other things and let you know what I discover. My xp machine is so bare bones (only use as file server) that I can't see anything unusual there.

Thanks for your time...
Dick
rsutton

Post by rsutton »

Rudi,
I have done a clean install of ver 1.0.9.6.2 on my XP machine. I downloaded the ver 1.1.8.0 bin zip file and extracted JUST the winvnc.exe file (no other files were extracted). I replaced the ver1.0.9.6.2 winvnc with the ver1.1.8.0 version and then rebooted. I have retained my oringinal fast speed. What are the pro's/con's of doing this (since I haven't loaded any of the new dll's)? Am I getting any benefit at all from using ver1.1.8.0 on my XP machine in this manner?
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Looks like new vnchook.dll or schook.dll ( if you installed it via the addons) is causing it.

If you use encryption plugins without a key it's recommendad that you upgrade de winvnc.exe.
(passw could be discovered with brute force attack as wrong passwd was not send to server to blacklist viewer)

You can just copy the exe of 1180 in 10962 folder or you could also copy the 10962 vnchook.dll in the 1180 folder.
rsutton

Post by rsutton »

Rudi,
I am following up on my latest observations. I have discovered that the new vnchook.dll is, in fact, the culprit for Windows XP. The following is the info on the vnchook.dll installed with 1180:

Description: VNC hook for Win32
Size: 53.7KB

The info on vnchook.dll for 10962 is:

Description: VNC hook for Win32
Size: 53.2KB

As you suggested, if I install 1180 on XP and then use the vnchook.dll from 10962, everything works great. So, it appears that either the new dll is not compatible with XP, or, the wrong dll is being installed for XP. In any event, I think this should be fixed for the future. I think that XP will probably still be in use for quite some time.

Thanks...
Dick
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Thanks for reminding, i need to check the setup exe.
megosu

Post by megosu »

Hi,

I just registered because I have the exact same issue.

On my XP boxes I was running 1.0.9.6 for a long time without any issue, but seeing the big version number gap with the new version, I thought it was maybe time to upgrade to 1.1.9.6 (with no mirror driver).
Once I installed the new version, it was painfully slow, I tried several combination with the refresh/poll options but nothing helps.
I tried the .exe and the .msi installer, same result.
By the way, is it normal that the .msi drops like 4 icons on the desktop and directly in "start\all programs" ? the .exe installer is neater, it creates a UltraVNC folder under start\all programs" and nothing spilled on the desktop.

In the end, I have reinstalled 1.0.9.6 and it works well.

what is wrong with the latest versions ?