Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Remote Support System - Client Support Made Easy

This forum is for VNC related products | This means not only UltraVNC | It even is allowed to announce or describe commercial (and of course non-commercial) programs here (but not anywhere else in the forum)
cheaha

Remote Support System - Client Support Made Easy

Post by cheaha »

Many of you have been testing the first version of the program that I released that elevates the SC to a system level status. Well I've had many requests and have been working hard to make this a full blown application for all you out there using SC to support remote clients.

I have added many new features to SC and have had a good Beta run. So I have decided to release ver 1.1 of the Remote Support System.

This has been a lot of work, I hope that you guys like this release.

Features:
  • Self contained client executable. (only 280kb)
  • Collects client user information (for billing)
  • Tracks session time, even across multiple reboots and displays timer in the upper right of the users screen. There is no guess work on how long you spent working on their PC.
  • Auto-generatates an invoice for the session and emails it back to you upon completion
  • Can logon/logoff remote user and maintain your connection
  • Can reboot the remote PC with auto-reconnect before login screen !
  • Can reboot the remote PC into SAFEMODE with auto-reconnect before safemode login screen!
  • Can remove remote users desktop icons / desktop background to increase remote pc control performance.
  • Has a custom toolbox that allows you to create self-extracting tools, that will auto-download and execute with a single click. Great for virus/spyware scanning on remote PC
  • Setup is easy with a client .exe setup program that helps you configure your distribution exe with an easy to use menu. (see screenshot)
  • Can be customized with your corporate branding so that the client sees your business logo on the client distribution exe.
  • Client distribution exe is built offline.
  • Once session is complete client executable completely removes all files and programs from client's PC, even after multiple reboots.
  • Technician can make a request to clients running the Listener component for a session. The appropriate client will then initiate a reverse connection back to the technician giving them full control. Great for repeat customers.
  • Free for non-commercial use, commercial use requires registration.
  • No per license fee, no limit on connection destinations like many other support tools that are out there.
  • Fully functional download
  • Client can be behind firewalls, no problem. With use of the repeater BOTH client and server can be behind firewalls.
  • Most client features work with Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP/2003
Client Connection Wizzard: (Clean and easy)

Client Distribution Setup: (Makes configuration easy)

Auto-Generated Invoice: (Fully Customizable)

Download: Remote Support System Setup

ENJOY!
[modd]moved from VNC related products to off topic, because now unrelated to VNC flavor[/mod]
Last edited by cheaha on 2006-09-20 20:56, edited 35 times in total.
cheaha

Updates and Announcements

Post by cheaha »

Click here for program updates and announcements

Updates:
  • July 5th - Link has been fixed
  • July 6th - A few minor bugs have been fixed, and the changes incorporated into the setup. Download and re-install to get fixes (make sure to close server first).
  • July 13th - Version 1.2 released. Added server initiated reverse connections.
  • July 14th - Version 1.2.1 released. Added auto-update feature. Help file being uploaded in pieces.
  • July 15th - Help File Beta Updated.
  • July 18th - Version 1.3 Released - Includes Help Files
  • August 10th - Version 1.3.2 Released - Bug fixes, Uninstaller, etc.
  • August 20th - Version 1.4 Released - Custom Invoices with online credit card payment as an option for your clients added !!!
  • September 1st - Version 1.4.2 Released. This is the last update to this list, all future updates will be on the website: HERE
Last edited by cheaha on 2006-09-20 20:59, edited 26 times in total.
Scott817

error in build?

Post by Scott817 »

Hi I was testing version 1.0 and got it running fine. I then saw this version and its looks alot better so I am trying to configure the cliet. I am getting the following error.

"Build Error please try again"

I looked in the directory and all the files seem to be in the
C:\Program Files\Remote Support\Source
C:\Program Files\Remote Support\Utils
C:\Program Files\Remote Support

Is there a log I can attach or something to help?

Nice work by the way. :)

Scott817
cheaha

If you are having some issues

Post by cheaha »

Issue: You had an O: drive, working to get around this limitation. For now just rename a drive to free up the O: letter.

Results: This fixed the issue.
Last edited by cheaha on 2005-07-08 02:37, edited 1 time in total.
Scott817

Post by Scott817 »

Still having the same problem with the error building after trying your suggestion. I have tried this on 2 differnt Windows XP SP2 machines with the same results.

I do like the way the "Server" shells to the viewer which is alot better looking than the .bat file I was using before. It also works fine with the 1.0 client. 8)

I was wondering why the output directory has to be in the profile path? IT doesnt seem to be able to swith the root level (example C:\output) ? Could this be causing the problem in XP? I will try this on a win2k machine tomorrow at work.

Is there a command switch I could add to write out a debug log? I am more than happy to test anything you would like.

Thanks
Scott817
Last edited by Scott817 on 2005-07-06 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
cheaha

Post by cheaha »

Check your PM...I'm CST...now if you like.

Post by Guest »

How about a few easy to implement options/enhancements:

Be able to remove some of the fields, such as address, yet still force the user to complete some of the fields, such as name and email addy

Be able to add custom names for the session names (I usually have 3 sessions, 1) Dedicated PC@ work, 2)Remote Site (I'm on site 3 days a week) and 3)Home/After Hrs, and I would love to be able to have them labeled as such, insted of just "Remote Session 1"

Other than that, looks great. Now I just gotta scrounge up some $$$ to get registered.
cheaha

Good idea's

Post by cheaha »

Good idea's. I'll try and get it into a future release. These shouldn't be that hard to implement. I'll break it down to 3 options, 1 = Name & Email, 2 = Name & Phone, 3 = All. How does that sound?

Feature note.

It is important to note that your client has only do this these steps ONE TIME. Their contact information is stored in their system registry under a key with your company name (this is the only thing left on the PC after a session completes). So next time they need your help it will already have their info pre-filled in. Most customers don't mind doing it one time. And this provides YOU with all of their information for your records.
Last edited by cheaha on 2005-07-06 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
Scott817

Post by Scott817 »

I was wondering about adding a local database or at least a text file that could be imported or queried? The db could hold the customer history and info on the local side as well for reporting or tracking benifits? If you need help I would be glad to kick in what I can ;)

Could you add a line for payment method or credit card# or something?
Last edited by Scott817 on 2005-07-06 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
cheaha

Post by cheaha »

Scott817 wrote:I was wondering about adding a local database or at least a text file that could be imported or queried? The db could hold the customer history and info on the local side as well for reporting or tracking benifits? If you need help I would be glad to kick in what I can ;)

Could you add a line for payment method or credit card# or something?
The next version may have the ability to update a remote database hosted at the server location if there is enough call for that feature. As for payment methods, that's always a bit tricky. You don't want credit card information to be emailed. So really the only answer is to find a way to collect the credit securly, -OR- when the session is over, have a web browser launched to a PAYPAL (online payment service) screen with the invoice amount already entered. This would actually be pretty easy. Good suggestions.
Last edited by cheaha on 2005-07-06 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
cheaha

Server initiated connection

Post by cheaha »

Is anyone interested in the ability to add a server initiated client connection? This would allow you to have a client that is running a listener, that will fire off the Support.exe SC connection upon demand. Bypassing any need to configure the firewall or router on their side. This would be for repeat customers that you would like to initiate the connection for.

Yes I know this can be done with just the server component and port forwarding on the router. But doing it this way makes it so that you don't have to have any router/firewall access.

Let me know if you guy are interested in adding this feature.
redge

Post by redge »

yes, great idea
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
fred

phone no.

Post by fred »

have problem on inputing phone no.
Shaba1

Post by Shaba1 »

I have been waiting for this a long long time. cheega if you recall I was the one that prompted you to continue for public release. But after finally seeing it apper. I discover that the exe will not intall on windows 98/ME :( :( :cry: :cry: I get a "This program must be run on Windows NT" And before somone says it NO I cannot afford to upgrade to a laptop that will run XP efficently. Not yet. That is why I am trying to start remote support so I can earn money enough to do that
cheaha

Shaba

Post by cheaha »

The installation limitation is really more of a recausion than a requirement and is self-imposed. I will remove it from the installtion requirements soon. I am working on a new piece that will hopefully be ready this week. It allows for Server initiated reverse client connections.

In english, you can request that a client connect to you, and it will do so, bypassing any local firewalls, and without the requirements of you having access to configure thier firewall or router.

This can be helpful for repeat customers.
cheaha

Re: phone no.

Post by cheaha »

fred wrote:have problem on inputing phone no.
What's the problem?
Shaba1

Re: Shaba

Post by Shaba1 »

cheaha wrote:The installation limitation is really more of a recausion than a requirement and is self-imposed. I will remove it from the installtion requirements soon. I am working on a new piece that will hopefully be ready this week. It allows for Server initiated reverse client connections.

In english, you can request that a client connect to you, and it will do so, bypassing any local firewalls, and without the requirements of you having access to configure thier firewall or router.

This can be helpful for repeat customers.
thanks please hurry
not to push you but I could really use this
fred

Phone No.

Post by fred »

if input wrongly with character with backspace, it does not allow to do so..
fred

phone no.

Post by fred »

can the phone no with format (999) 9999-9999 ?
since we got this formet in our city.

thanks
fred

custom language ?

Post by fred »

is it possible to have our own custom language on all gui string ?
since we need chinese for use.
cheaha

Remote Support System v1.2 - NEW FEATURES !

Post by cheaha »

There are many new features, the coolest of which is the Requester and Listener programs. This allows you the technician to build a SC exe that contains an additional little program. When you have remoted into a remote system, from the tool menu, choose Listener.

This will install a small program. The purpose of this program is to listen for your future requests. Using the requester program you can have a client's pc calls you and hand over control, all without the client having to be at the PC. There is no limit to the number of remote listening clients you can have. No need to have access to their firewall or router!! It's called server initiated reverse client connections. Pretty cool huh?

Last edited by cheaha on 2005-07-18 19:01, edited 4 times in total.
cheaha

Documentation

Post by cheaha »

I need volenteers to help with documentation for this project. I have spent MANY hours programming and just don't think I can make myself sit down and get started on the docs. Please PM me if you are willing to help.
cheaha

Re: custom language ?

Post by cheaha »

fred wrote:is it possible to have our own custom language on all gui string ?
since we need chinese for use.
I won't be adding this feature until MUCH later, sorry. It's just too much work to strip all the strings out right now. I should have coded it that way from the beginning. But I never thought that this project would grow like it has.
cheaha

Added AutoUpdate - Version 1.2.1

Post by cheaha »

Everyone please download and install Version 1.2.1 which includes auto update. For this and all future updates it is NOT necessary that you un-install the previous version. Just quit the running applications and install over the orriginal.

Now when there are bug fixes or new features you will automatically be notified.

Enjoy.

PS. Give me some feedback guys...what do you think about this program? Thanks.
Last edited by cheaha on 2005-07-18 19:01, edited 3 times in total.
BrendanG

What a great new feature

Post by BrendanG »

The listener program is exactly what we need. This is a great new feature. I've been thinking this would be an excellent way to get around the firewall issues at clients sites. Now if there's a problem we don't even have to call the client to initiate the connection. One thought, can you put an auto-dismiss feature in for the Thank You message that comes up on the PC after the session? Or at least an option in the Client Setup program to disable it completely.

If that happens, I can probably convince my boss to license this great addon to VNC.
cheaha

Re: What a great new feature

Post by cheaha »

BrendanG wrote:One thought, can you put an auto-dismiss feature in for the Thank You message that comes up on the PC after the session? Or at least an option in the Client Setup program to disable it completely.
Sure, not a problem. Look for it in the next update. Be sure to download version 1.2.1 as it now has an auto-update feature. Either an auto-timeout, or disable "Thank you" feature will be in the next release.

BTW...working on documentation right now....so just hang in there a bit longer. I worked hard to make the product easy to use, but easy for the developer and easy for the user are two different things sometimes :wink:
Last edited by cheaha on 2005-07-14 21:41, edited 2 times in total.
Shaba1

A suggestion and a question

Post by Shaba1 »

Have you ever heard of a program called AutoIt. It would allow you to make an .exe that would go thru all the install mouse clicks and button presses for the secondary programs such as AV,spyware detector,e.t.c.

My theory being that if the person needs online, over the internet help then they you need to keep it short and simple (KISS) that way the supported person would not even have to run the command line or start the secondary programs.

The point being if they need over the net help then they probably will not be able to start,install, or setup the secondary programs from the links.

As an aside does anyone know a good web host where I could host Remote Support exe. I am not so naive to think that there could be a free one but resonable cost would be good.
Last edited by Shaba1 on 2005-07-14 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
cheaha

Re: A suggestion and a question

Post by cheaha »

Shaba1 wrote:have you ever heard of a program called autoIt. I would allow you to make and exe that would go thru all the intall mouse clicks and button presses for the secondary program such as AV,spyware detector,e.t.c.. . .
Shaba1,

Not quite sure I follow you on the reason this is needed. The client has only to download the Support.exe and run it, after that, YOU can do all that is required on the pc yourself. I'm working on the docs as we speak, it might help to clear some things up.

As for the Spyware, AV, etc. The Links section is there for you to link to your own selfextracting archive files that can autorun anything you like. Mine for example, I have one for Virus scanning and one for Spyware scanning. The link menu, downloads the exe file, runs it, it self extracts, and passes a command-line to the extracted exe to start a virus scan.

One click on the Link's menu does it all !
Last edited by cheaha on 2005-07-14 23:10, edited 2 times in total.
Shaba1

Re: A suggestion and a question

Post by Shaba1 »

cheaha wrote:
Shaba1 wrote:have you ever heard of a program called autoIt. I would allow you to make and exe that would go thru all the intall mouse clicks and button presses for the secondary program such as AV,spyware detector,e.t.c.. . .
Shaba1,

Not quite sure I follow you on the reason this is needed. The client has only to download the Support.exe and run it, after that, YOU can do all that is required on the pc yourself. I'm working on the docs as we speak, it might help to clear some things up.

As for the Spyware, AV, etc. The Links section is there for you to link to your own selfextracting archive files that can autorun anything you like. Mine for example, I have one for Virus scanning and one for Spyware scanning. The link menu, downloads the exe file, runs it, it self extracts, and passes a command-line to the extracted exe to start a virus scan.

One click on the Link's menu does it all !
ok I was thinking that the remote person had to click on the link and download the program.

A little background on me. I am a self taught computer programmer and not that good as a programmer. I run and built a computer class room in a low income community center. I built this network with my own hands.I also teach classes(well actually I am trying to avoid teaching them now) But when I first started it AMAZE me the simple questions that people would ask or the simple operations they had problems with,like right clicking the mouse or using the backspace key. So that is why I like to KISS
cheaha

Help File In Progress

Post by cheaha »

The help file is a work in progress...I'm typing it right now; however I thought I would post the alpha versions of the help file for those who could use it. The link for just the help file is on the update topic (3rd from the top of this thread). As I type it, it will be availible, so check it often as more and more will be added.

I don't want to hear about typo's as I haven't even spell checked it yet :wink: