Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

UltraVNC 1.2.3.0 preview 2 - Download links

Chrispy

Re: 1.2.3.0 pre-release

Post by Chrispy »

Hi Rudi,

We have a problems that the vncviewer 1.2.3.0 is constantly disconnecting and reconnecting. We have some pretty slow connections. Is there criteria that can be changed to decide when to disconnect?

Regards,
Chris
Last edited by Chrispy on 2019-12-05 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
Opc Servers: http://www.wowbms.com/index.php/opc-servers
Wow Building & Energy Management System: http://www.wowbms.com/index.php
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Is this new with viewer 1.2.3.0 or did the olders viewers had the same issue.
A disconnect can be initiated by a server/viewer or even a switch timeout.
Chrispy

Post by Chrispy »

Hi,

Older versions did it too, like 1.2.2.4. It seems very sensative.

Regards,
Chris
Opc Servers: http://www.wowbms.com/index.php/opc-servers
Wow Building & Energy Management System: http://www.wowbms.com/index.php
CPC

Post by CPC »

Just feedback to let you know that 1.2.3.0 RC is working well and as stable as 1.2.2.4 in my work environment doing a uvnc reverse connection.

One issue I am trying to resolved has to do with multiple monitors, but this has been a issue for several years and is not this version specific... Searching forum for mouse offset, mouse scaling, mouse dpi found the same/similar subject but did not result in a solution.

I posted about this in the link below instead of opening another thread.. See the following
https://forum.ultravnc.net/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=35031
Several other people on the forum have described the same / similar issues using different terminology and did not post a solution to the issue. Maybe a simple ini setting or viewer setting? Maybe something related to dpi aware or other scaling / zoom setting??

Thanks for your continued development and work on UVNC.
CPC
SkyBeam

Post by SkyBeam »

CPC wrote: One issue I am trying to resolved has to do with multiple monitors, but this has been a issue for several years and is not this version specific... Searching forum for mouse offset, mouse scaling, mouse dpi found the same/similar subject but did not result in a solution.
It's pretty interesting. This topic is becoming more and more of an issue the more high-dpi screens are used widely.
I recently noticed a mouse offset issue as well and I was able to pretty clearly reproduce it.

The system I was using was connected to a WQHD (2560x1440) screen on 27 inches. The system was configured with 2 user accounts. One of them did use 100% scaling and the other one did feel more comfortable with 125% scaling.

So when using VNC on either of the users the screen was perfectly fine on UltraVNC, no matter the scaling.
BUT: When using UltraVNC on one user, then logging of the user remotely and logging on to the second user, then the mouse pointer was offset (no matter which user was initially used, after switching users the pointer is offset). I guess the same perhaps happens as well if you change the scaling on-the-fly. It looks to me like the viewer or server does not translate the x/y coordinates according to changed scaling.
Also when I switched users by logging of one and logging on to the other user the mouse if offset. But when I disconnect my session completely and re-connect the mouse offset is fixed. So my guess is that the mouse offset is somehow related to display scaling and UVNC does not recognize changed scaling on-the-fly. For me it would be sufficient if UVNC would re-negotiate the scaling as well when hitting the "refresh" button in the viewer since this is the first thing you usually hit if you get screen distortion or any other issue. It might not be possible for UVNC to be triggered on DPI scaling changes so manually fixing it by hitting refresh and re-negotiating the display offset according to scaling might be enough. Now I jsut disconnected and re-connected but this is a bit odd if you need to switch users multiple times and each of them use different scaling preferences.
CPC

Post by CPC »

A quick initial breif test result for you. from just posted winvnc.exe 1/9/20 2168KB on two machines so far. I get two mouse cursors now.. whereas previous 1.2.3.0 used in my last post had one mouse cursor.

Toggle viewer to primary screen only.. two mouse cursors... the one on the left seems to be remote cursor, the second is a few inches to the right seems to be local cursor. click actions functionally hit where the left one is. This works until you have something nearer to the right side of the screen, then cant control it...because the right (local) mouse cursor has ran out of real estate to move further right.... and the left (remote cursor) hasn't reached the target yet.

Toggle viewer to secondary monitor only... I have one mouse cursor which is local only. In the viewer settings I tested..."track remote cursor locally", "let remote cursor deal with cursor" and "Don't show remote cursor".... reconnected after each change and they have no effect. physical observation at server side.. shows mouse on primary screen..then when viewer tries to move to secondary screen to the right... the server machine mouse moves to the right edge of primary screen but doesn't jump to second monitor...as if hit a wall...as if no secondary monitor is there to move to.

Toggle viewer to show both primary and secondary monitors.... primary monitor behaves like primary above... two cursors... and secondary behaves like secondary above... I can see local mouse but no remote on secondary monitor and no reaction to clicks. Toggling viewer cursor control settings seem to have no effect.

Test environment..
All Windows 10 64 bit PCs.. for this test... however in real world we use 32 and 64 win XP through Win 10 using only 32 bit unvnc all all for easy deployment.

The only change made when we compiled the reverse unvc script was replacing the winvnc.exe "test dpi" with today's posted just above by Rudi.

The ini [poll] settings are as follows
[poll]
TurboMode=0
PollUnderCursor=0
PollForeground=1
PollFullScreen=1
OnlyPollConsole=0
OnlyPollOnEvent=0
MaxCpu=40
EnableDriver=1
EnableHook=1
EnableVirtual=0
autocapt=1

The temp file on the server contains
winvnc.exe (todays test dpi version)
VNCHooks.dll
ultravnc.ini
SecureVNCPlugin.dsm
Server_SecureVNC.pkey

The viewer in listening mode is vnceviewer.exe 1.2.3.1 is started using the following target shortcut...
C:\UltraVNC\vncviewer.exe -listen -quickoption 3 -scale 8/10 -password SecureVNCdsmPwd -autoacceptnodsm -loglevel 3 -logfile vncviewer.log

Summary... In this short test this might be a temporary step back before moving forward.

winvnc 1.2.3.0 from 2019/12 works both in single monitor and multi monitor when all monitor are set at the same scale / dpi. However, on multi monitor where they have different scale / DPI the cursor is only accurate on one but often times not the second...(in my application of it).

winvnc 1.2.3.0 from 2020/1/9 "test dpi winvnc"... not workable.. yet... Even with just a single monitor as described.

I hope this helps... If you need more info or more testing, let us know.

Thank you for looking at this issue.
CPC
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Some debug code was left, updated exe again.
Server should be windows 10 ( this is the only OS that support dpi/monitor), viewer can be any OS.

Indeed, to test just replace winvnc.exe 32bit
For x64 you can copy it next to winvnc and run winvnc64.exe

Test i did
server 100% + 100% connect winvnc, then change the dpi setting to 150% on the primary
The viewer auto resize each time you change the dpi.
I move the mouse on the viewer and see if the mouse on the server is at the correct position and
the mouse is shown correct on the viewer.
Moving the mouse on the server is other code, not yet tested. But at first site all was working except
when only the second monitor was shown on the viewer.
My server use the ddengine capture, when you hover over the tray icon it show the capture method.

For simplicity i just connect the viewer without any option.

I don't have a big monitor,i test with 1920x1200 + 1920 x 1050 end switching dpi to 100 <->150 on the 1920x1200 while the viewer is connected.
CPC

Post by CPC »

New quick test with just updated 32 bit winvnc.exe now 2169 KB aka dpitest

Much much better :-) in my application and usage. No secondary cursor / mouse issues noticed yet.
*I did not test 64 bit winvnc64...yet

Tested on several Win 10 64 bit machines

Excellent cursor tracking and mouse function on primary and secondary monitor with same scale/dpi
Excellent cursor tracking and mouse function on primary and secondary monitor with one scaled at 100% and the secondary monitor scaled dpi at 175%

So in short test above.... awesome...and best to date. :-)

Other observations... tested with and without DDengine
Using DDengine... on a few occasions.. I closed the viewer window and it didn't auto-reconnect as it normally would. However, if I went to the server and moved the mouse... it auto-reconnected instantly without the need to do anything. I rebooted both server and viewer.. reconnected and did not get it to repeat this issue.

Toggling monitor views...
Using DDengine..if the viewer clicks the toggle button for monitor selection... It will toggle through several views... Primary monitor only, toggle once and get just secondary monitor only , toggle again and get all monitors at once.

Without DDengine and using VNChooks.dll instead... if the viewer clicks the toggle button for monitor selection.. you have Primary monitor only, toggle it again and you have all monitors. No just secondary. So less toggle choices using VNChooks but working very well in this test.

Excellent work Rudi. I will continue testing. Hopefully others have similar success.
:-)
CPC

*Updated after a few more hours of testing: tested new Jan 9th winvnc.exe DPItest on several 32 bit windows XP machines and Win 7 with no additional issues found and working well. Best so far for mix of single and multi monitor in my application using 32 bit winvnc on all Windows XP-10.
Horaciotpm

Post by Horaciotpm »

Hi
Im new to the forum, I register to report a Issue Im facing, when using commandline with the following code:

Code: Select all

mslogonacl.exe /i /o file.txt
or
mslogonacl.exe /i /a file.txt
It doesn't work and doesn't return anything, when using it alone

Code: Select all

mslogonacl.exe
it return the help text on the prompt.
Using the mslogonacl.exe from previous version with the new release works fine.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Please use an older version, some code error in this one.
Any other older version is ok
Still need to update the file for the latest versions
SkyBeam

Post by SkyBeam »

Will there be a new release candidate package or a final release? I think I have seen multiple patches and work-arounds being discussed like
  • Fixes in desktop duplication code
  • Fixes for scaled screens
  • Fixes for MSLOGON
  • Fixed viewer (require to connect twice)
If someone wants to build a deployment package or install the latest 1.2.3.0 release one needs to download the packages, install them and collect a couple of patches replacing binaries and libraries from the installed package. I think it would be time to collect those fixes and create an RC2 release candidate for final testing by all involved people who helped identify issues in the 1.2.3.0 pre-release. The goal should be to re-verify the release and finally provide a release package. Also the MSI installer packages can be finally released then.

Edit: Completely missed out on the 1.2.4.0 pre-release here. So I guess the request is obsolete, except the MSI packages. I am going to do some tests with version 1.2.4.0 now.