Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

VNC Central (Freeware Utility To Manage Remote Computers)

This forum is for VNC related products | This means not only UltraVNC | It even is allowed to announce or describe commercial (and of course non-commercial) programs here (but not anywhere else in the forum)
OhMyGoat

Re: VNC Central (Freeware Utility To Manage Remote Computers

Post by OhMyGoat »

Actually running it on SBS 2003. I haven't been able to get .20 Rc3 loaded on my server so I haven't tried it on any other machine. Also I haven;t dl'd that dist so I will do so now and let you know how it goes.
SBS2003 introduced side-by-side libraries so it could be that the same problem there's on Vista happens also on win2003.
I have 1 other question. Are you going to release the Code changes since .14. .14 is the only source code I can find on SF.
Yes as soon as I release the final version of 0.020 I'm going to release the sources.
MrJohnBravo

Post by MrJohnBravo »

OMG
Ok.. I dl'd the library and installed it and all is well. I have seen this error on every machine I have installed on so far. Including XP pro and X64. So I am wondering if putting the library in the install dir is an option ( i didn't really read the license so I am not sure about it.)
Yes as soon as I release the final version of 0.020 I'm going to release the sources.
cool.

Also I am having a bit of problem getting the shutdown action to work. Running taskkill on shutdown and it doesn't do anything ... any ideas. The startup action works fine btw.

Thanks for your reply and quick responses. I would love to help out in any way I can... so if you need some coding or doc work done please don't hesitate to ask.
Mr Johnathan Bravo

--ohh MAMA!!--
OhMyGoat

Post by OhMyGoat »

MrJohnBravo wrote:OMG
Ok.. I dl'd the library and installed it and all is well. I have seen this error on every machine I have installed on so far. Including XP pro and X64.
Yes you could put the libraries in the application directory and everything should work fine. Previously I was including the libraries in the zip files and the setup was installing them that's why you probably never saw that error before.
MrJohnBravo wrote: So I am wondering if putting the library in the install dir is an option ( i didn't really read the license so I am not sure about it.)
I don't know if the MSVCRT license allows the libraries from being installed without using the official redistributable however the setup for 0.020 will use the redistributable instead of copying the single libraries like previous ones.
MrJohnBravo wrote: Also I am having a bit of problem getting the shutdown action to work. Running taskkill on shutdown and it doesn't do anything ... any ideas. The startup action works fine btw.
I found out that the core library wasn't unloaded that's why the shutdown actions weren't working. Now the problem is fixed.
MrJohnBravo wrote: Thanks for your reply and quick responses. I would love to help out in any way I can... so if you need some coding or doc work done please don't hesitate to ask.
Don't worry bug reports help the development more than enough.
MrJohnBravo

Post by MrJohnBravo »

OMG

Ok. I added the MSVCRT to my "deploy.exe" with a .vbs to do all the little stuff like call the redist .exe and setup the winvnc registry entries. I am gonna convert my .vbs to a vc++ .exe .
I will be working on that this weekend when I get a chance to get back into C++ (been about 8 yrs since I did anything in C++ so I have a bit-o-relearning to do :)
I found out that the core library wasn't unloaded that's why the shutdown actions weren't working. Now the problem is fixed.
great. Do you have a timeline on the next RC release?

Don't worry bug reports help the development more than enough
OK. When I find'em them I will post'em ;)
Mr Johnathan Bravo

--ohh MAMA!!--
OhMyGoat

Post by OhMyGoat »

MrJohnBravo wrote:Ok. I added the MSVCRT to my "deploy.exe" with a .vbs to do all the little stuff like call the redist .exe and setup the winvnc registry entries. I am gonna convert my .vbs to a vc++ .exe .
I will be working on that this weekend when I get a chance to get back into C++ (been about 8 yrs since I did anything in C++ so I have a bit-o-relearning to do :)
The new VNC Central setup I'm creating silently installs the redistributables and also can be installed in an unattended way by placing an INI file with the setup configuration in the setup folder. Components like ultravnc server/client can be disabled, it detects/copies/runs the Deploy.exe file and it also imports the VNC Central settings file just like the old setup. If you want to deploy the new version there's no need to create scripts for the redistributables just wait for the setup that I'm going to release along with the new alpha.
MrJohnBravo wrote: Great. Do you have a timeline on the next RC release?
I'm actually waiting to finish the setup but in the next 1-2 days it should be ready.
Last edited by OhMyGoat on 2007-08-02 22:33, edited 2 times in total.
OhMyGoat

Post by OhMyGoat »

I just uploaded the new 0.020alpha4 version here:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/vnccen ... irror=osdn

The setup instead is here:

Here's the help page for the Unattended.ini file:

http://vnccentral.sourceforge.net/Onlin ... e%20v2.php

Tell me if the problems you were having are now solved with the new version.
Last edited by OhMyGoat on 2007-08-13 22:20, edited 6 times in total.
OhMyGoat

Post by OhMyGoat »

VNC Central 0.20alpha5 is now out with improved automatic defrag/dyndns/tunnels/unattended setups and no more annoying floppy seeks.

What's new in v0.020 alpha 5 (13/08/07)
  • Improved tunnelling

Improved VNC Central + UltraVNC setup

Improved Automatic Defrag

Automatic Defrag now supports mount points

Optimizations and overhead reduction

Fixed crash when Central Core dll was not found or the loading failed

Removed messages appearing during not successful DynDNS updates

Fixed memory leaks caused by the DynDNS update service

Fixed DynDNS interval being misread as seconds

No longer floppy drive seeks when opening the settings window

Fixed memory leaks caused by the settings dialog
Here's the download URL:

The only plugin that remains to be developed is the power saver however since advanced power saving settings are available only on Vista that for now has a very tiny userbase I think I'll move that feature for the next versions. Probably since there's only optimizing/testing from now on a stable release (finally with sources) should be out within the next few months.

Happy automatic defragmenting :-D
Last edited by OhMyGoat on 2007-08-13 22:31, edited 10 times in total.
NM

Post by NM »

Does UltraVNC need to be uninstalled as a service before installing VNC Central?
Norbert Majerus
Barbados
OhMyGoat

Post by OhMyGoat »

NM wrote:Does UltraVNC need to be uninstalled as a service before installing VNC Central?
no but you may have to change the commandline parameters for ultravnc to have it contact the service instance
hstraf

Post by hstraf »

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I was wondering if VNC Central would work for my needs:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=695327

Let me know what you think. If VNC Central will work for the remote computers even though they're behind unknown routers with unknown IP, then I will love you forever!

(Or if it will not work, do you have any suggestions? I think maybe I must use a proxy or repeater or something? Can you point me in the right direction?)
OhMyGoat

Post by OhMyGoat »

hstraf wrote:Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I was wondering if VNC Central would work for my needs:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=695327

Let me know what you think. If VNC Central will work for the remote computers even though they're behind unknown routers with unknown IP, then I will love you forever!

(Or if it will not work, do you have any suggestions? I think maybe I must use a proxy or repeater or something? Can you point me in the right direction?)
Yes it would work fine and solve your problem as long as the client PC is not firewalled but it's better if you make a bootable linux floppy, USB pendrive (if the PCs don't have USB boot you can use a bootable floppy + USB combo) or CD with an automated script that restores the partition so that store owners could fix the computers just by inserting the restore CD and rebooting because if the PC becomes unbootable you would still have to go there to fix it.
Last edited by OhMyGoat on 2008-05-23 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
hstraf

Post by hstraf »

OhMyGoat wrote:Yes it would work fine and solve your problem as long as the client PC is not firewalled ....
The remote PC will not be running any firewall software, but we have no control over the router so that's an unknown. By default, most routers don't have any firewall installed, so VNC ports should be open...

... can you confirm that the vnc central software would "figure things out" with regard to port forwarding and that the remote computer that needs to be controlled is using a "192.168.0.x" address inside the local LAN? (ie: the router will not have port forwarding installed... so I think some kind of repeater/proxy is needed? Or not?)

Sorry for my ignorance..
OhMyGoat wrote:...but it's better if you make a bootable ... CD with an automated script that restores the partition so that store owners could fix the computers just by inserting the restore CD and rebooting ...quote]

That's exactly what they have done. However, it's a last resort "fix" which is why we're looking for some kind of remote control software so that they can first login and "take a look" at the computer to see if it's something simple that can be fixed remotely.

Thanks!
OhMyGoat

Post by OhMyGoat »

hstraf wrote:
OhMyGoat wrote:Yes it would work fine and solve your problem as long as the client PC is not firewalled ....
The remote PC will not be running any firewall software, but we have no control over the router so that's an unknown. By default, most routers don't have any firewall installed, so VNC ports should be open...

... can you confirm that the vnc central software would "figure things out" with regard to port forwarding and that the remote computer that needs to be controlled is using a "192.168.0.x" address inside the local LAN? (ie: the router will not have port forwarding installed... so I think some kind of repeater/proxy is needed? Or not?)
VNC Central will connect to the client and start a passive server-initiated VNC connection when asked so there shouldn't be any issue if the PCs are behind a router or a firewall. I use it to solve the same exact issue you're having.
hstraf

Post by hstraf »

Hello,

I was able to get VNC Central installed and working on my computer and all remote machines... however I don't actually see any ultraVNC integration or how to get that part going?

I posted a thread on the VNC Central forums here:

http://vnccentral.awardspace.com/Forum/ ... hp?f=2&t=2

Anyone have any ideas how to get UltraVNC working? I'd like to use this feature here:
Here are some examples of how you can use VNC Central:
- you can initiate a reverse-connection from a remote vnc server to your local pc
Thanks!
OhMyGoat

Post by OhMyGoat »

hstraf wrote:Hello,

I was able to get VNC Central installed and working on my computer and all remote machines... however I don't actually see any ultraVNC integration or how to get that part going?

I posted a thread on the VNC Central forums here:

http://vnccentral.awardspace.com/Forum/ ... hp?f=2&t=2

Anyone have any ideas how to get UltraVNC working? I'd like to use this feature here:
Here are some examples of how you can use VNC Central:
- you can initiate a reverse-connection from a remote vnc server to your local pc
Thanks!
I answered you on the VNC Central forum.
ITSFISKO

VNC CENTRAL SET AS SERVICE

Post by ITSFISKO »

Hi how do I register VNC Central as a service? the program is briill but....I need it to run as soon as the PC is switched on ( regardless of the status of the user) it must run silently and undetectable from the PUPIL user with no way of the PUPIL shuting the program down. If it is not possible to run it as a service is there a way to make it run at logon? with a script? Thanks for any help.
Prometheus

Help with VNC Central

Post by Prometheus »

Is anyone familiar with VNC Central? It looks like it may be just what I'm looking for but the online documentation is minimal. Basically what I'm looking for is a dashboard from which I can view a list of all UVNC clients at remote sites to connect to. The documentation on the VNC Central/UVNC bundle doesn't mention if this is possible or how to do it so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

[mod=494,1228864804]moved and merged to vnc central existing topic[/mod]
Last edited by Prometheus on 2008-12-09 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

vnc central (off the top of my head and remmembering from a few years back) is basically just a GUI and organiser for .vnc files ... so whatever can be done from these files can be done from vnc central ...

it you can create a connection to the site (or sites) in question just by double clicking on a .vnc file ... then vnc central is for you ... one irritating part (at least for me) was that you needed to associate the .vnc file with a viewer before vnc central would work with them ...

hope this helps with your question ...
ask a silly question and remain a fool for 5 minutes...
don't ask, and remain a fool for life - JDaus 2003

without imperfections, neither you nor i would exist - Steven Hawkins
__
JD
SCPrompt - OpenSource Free Remote Screen\Desktop Sharing Solution
SecureTech.com.au
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

That does help, thank you.
maxlaw

Post by maxlaw »

Hey OhMyGod, remember me? (see me in the first page of this thread if you don't ;P). I am still a hardcore fan of VNC Central. As my moron network admin. imposed so many restrictions on the network, my only choice is to tailor the released code of the 0.15 version to remote the machines that are sparsely located in my department. Do you have any plan to release the 0.20 version of VNCCentral? I just think the new tunneling feature ownz, and could be used along with the heavily guarded network.
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

OMG hasn't been around in a while, i think he has disapeared off the net (unfortunately), as seams to happen with some people.
ask a silly question and remain a fool for 5 minutes...
don't ask, and remain a fool for life - JDaus 2003

without imperfections, neither you nor i would exist - Steven Hawkins
__
JD
SCPrompt - OpenSource Free Remote Screen\Desktop Sharing Solution
SecureTech.com.au
hm2k

Post by hm2k »

Using VNC_Central_v0.020Alpha5_with_UltraVNC_v1.03RC6_Setup.exe

On my start menu I see "VNC Central Deployer"

which links to "C:\Program Files\VNC Central\VNC Central Deployer.exe"

Yet that file doesn't exist.

What is this file, and why don't I have it? Anyone know?
Last edited by hm2k on 2009-02-20 11:50, edited 1 time in total.