Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Very annoying bug on new laptops

Here you will find help for frequently asked questions as well as for your specific question
Sander02

Very annoying bug on new laptops

Post by Sander02 »

Hi,

UltraVNC has issues with latest Dell laptops which are so irritating that you don't want to use vnc anymore. I think all versions of vnc have this issue.
What happens is that it not refreshing the screen. But it is not the total screen, so the refresh button in uvnc menu bar does not solve it. It is within a program.

For example, open notepad, then menu file, nothing happens. Then move your mouse to taskbar above notepad.
A little preview screen will appear just above taskbar. After holding mouse above that preview screen, the menu file is visual.
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the remote user get the same issue will the session is open.

Anyone else experienced this? for example a Dell Latitude 5520. It as Intel Iris Graphics.

Thanks,

Sander
Sander02

Re: Very annoying bug on new laptops

Post by Sander02 »

Also when starting a program, it will not show up, only on taskbar. Holding mouse above and it will appear.
Sander02

Post by Sander02 »

Also the local user of the computer that is taken over with uvnc experience the same issue.

Would be great if there is a fix. We use it for daily support on a lot of computer.
SkyBeam

Post by SkyBeam »

If I remember correctly this happens on Windows 10 1909 only when using desktop duplication driver. The problem disappears if upgrading to latest (21H2) version. I am not fully sure if it was also OK disabling desktop duplication on server side.
It is definitively an issue with desktop capturing on server side but as I remember only on a version which is already out of support (version 1909 reached end of servicing on May 11th 2021).

So I do recommend to update your Windows and GPU drivers and if there is no possibility to do so you might try disabling desktop duplication driver.
Sander02

Post by Sander02 »

Hi SkyBeam, thanks for your reply. We are on 20H2 and will not update to a newer built any soon. The new machines have the latest drivers. Not all have GPU's. I'm not familiar with desktop duplication drivers. I just searched for it and found uvnc documentation. It's under properties and not under admin properties where I first looked. DD is off by default. Have not yet tested what happens if I enable it. If this will not solve it, any other suggestion?
SkyBeam

Post by SkyBeam »

Well, Windows 10 20H2 end of servicing life was reached already on 10th of May 2022 (Home, Pro). Only Enterprise and Edu seems to get extended support until 9th of May 2023.
I just remember I had this screen update problem on older Windows 10 release and update to 21H2 I believe where the problem disappeared. You might also try an older UVNC release on server side (e.g. 1.2.4.0 release). However be aware that some security fixes were done in newer version so you might want to apply additional protection. I would recommend to try enabling/disabling DD engine and enable/disable system hook (all in uvnc_settings.exe "Screen Capture" tag). Remember to restart the service if you change the option.
Sander02

Post by Sander02 »

We have an enterprise license, so 20h2 is supported till may 2023, but off course will will upgrade, but that takes some time. Very curious if a newer windows built will fix it.
Sander02

Post by Sander02 »

Unfortunately 21h2 still has this issue.

This is the ini we are using for many years. I have not yet tried with an empty one, but since it is working fine on many machines and we never had the issue in the past, I guess the settings should be fine. But I will try it soon.

[ultravnc]
passwd=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
passwd2=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[admin]
UseRegistry=0
MSLogonRequired=0
NewMSLogon=0
DebugMode=0
Avilog=0
path=C:\Program Files\uvnc bvba\UltraVNC
accept_reject_mesg=
DebugLevel=0
DisableTrayIcon=0
rdpmode=0
LoopbackOnly=0
UseDSMPlugin=0
AllowLoopback=1
AuthRequired=1
ConnectPriority=0
DSMPlugin=
AuthHosts=
DSMPluginConfig=
AllowShutdown=1
AllowProperties=1
AllowEditClients=1
FileTransferEnabled=1
FTUserImpersonation=1
BlankMonitorEnabled=1
BlankInputsOnly=0
DefaultScale=1
primary=1
secondary=0
SocketConnect=1
HTTPConnect=1
AutoPortSelect=1
PortNumber=5900
HTTPPortNumber=5800
IdleTimeout=0
IdleInputTimeout=0
RemoveWallpaper=1
RemoveAero=0
QuerySetting=4
QueryTimeout=8
QueryAccept=1
QueryIfNoLogon=1
InputsEnabled=1
LockSetting=0
LocalInputsDisabled=0
EnableJapInput=0
kickrdp=0
clearconsole=0
SendExtraMouse=1
QueryDisableTime=0
EnableWin8Helper=0
[admin_auth]
group1=
group2=
group3=
locdom1=0
locdom2=0
locdom3=0
[poll]
TurboMode=1
PollUnderCursor=0
PollForeground=0
PollFullScreen=1
OnlyPollConsole=0
OnlyPollOnEvent=0
MaxCpu=40
EnableDriver=0
EnableHook=1
EnableVirtual=0
SingleWindow=0
SingleWindowName=
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

EnableDriver=0
EnableHook=1

ddengine is off
hook is on

Did you already tried to do the invers
EnableDriver=1
EnableHook=0
or
EnableDriver=0
EnableHook=0

The hooking inject code to detect screen changes in any running software.
This sometimes impact the application self and uvnc.
Sander02

Post by Sander02 »

Hi Rudi, I thought I did respond. Sorry for that! Your suggestion is indeed working! So thanks a lot for that! Sometimes when I have the issue and it is too frustrating, I use remote powershell to shutdown the service, change the ine file to

EnableHook=0
EnableVirtual=1

And it goes fine.

We are no on w10 22h2 and starting slowely with w11. Never recreated a fresh ini file but do install latest uvnc version on new instaled machines.
Could that cause any issues? Only changing above when needed, although might be good to do it for all machines?