Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

X64 server and driver version available for download

Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

X64 server and driver version available for download

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Driver don't work with the win32 server version... (shared mem 32/64 bit)
So, winvnc needed also to be ported to x64.

You need to use the winvnc_x64 version in combination with the x64 driver. The win32 server crash....

Current it has only been tested on XP x64 (platform em64t "pentium D")
But this should be compatible with amd64

http://sc.uvnc.com/V2

winvnc_x64.zip
vncdrv_x64.zip

Driver zip: Use the install/ uninstall.bat for the driver
vncdrv: only the bins, no installer, extract zip and exe winvnc.

MSlogon dll's are not yet ported, so it will only work with vnc passwd.

As the only test was performed on one PC, the files must be considered
as experimental.

Please let me now if it also work on amd64 and windows 2003 x64
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

bump....

Anybody tried it yet.
lithorus

Post by lithorus »

Hmm..
It seems to work, but VERY slow. It seems to crash if you install the 32-bit first and overwrite with the x64 files. If the 32-bit is installed you have to clean everything out of the registry or else the server will crash upon connection.

Edit:
It's alot strange than that...
It still crashes, but if I first connect with RDP and keep it open and then connect with vnc it works, but doesn't update until mouse is released. Also it seems to use the same session as the RDP. This is a problem since RDP is different from a real VNC connection. If I disconnect the RDP connection the VNC connection doesn't update anymore.

Tested on following system :
Dual Opteron 265
Windows XP x64
Last edited by lithorus on 2005-12-30 12:40, edited 2 times in total.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Thanks for the feedback..

The current 64bit version has a limited set of dll's. If you overwrite the previous version you have a combination of 32/64 bit.

For testing it would have been sufficent to create a vnc64 sub directory
and launch the server from there.

I'm not sure that the error has to do with regsitry. If your previous version was using the hookdll, it could be that it was still active. The
hookdll sometimes just keep running in the background. The hookdll check itself for only one instance and use it. The error could be caused by using the 32bit hookdll (still in memory) with the x64 server -->crash

Very slow ?
Are you sure the mirror driver is realy used ? Check driver (properties)

If you started the winvnc 64bit manual in a RDP session, it is running in
application mode, and can only capture that session. Possible the win32 version was running as service.
mongeron

Post by mongeron »

Hello,

I just downloaded this 64-bit version, and tried it. The video driver install completed fine, and the server seems to work OK. I was able to connect to the server from another machine.

My OS is Windows XP x64, and I have AMD 64-bit X2 processor.

Thanks for the good work!

- mongeron
lithorus

Post by lithorus »

Rudi De Vos wrote:If you started the winvnc 64bit manual in a RDP session, it is running in
application mode, and can only capture that session. Possible the win32 version was running as service.
This could explain alot. Will see if I can get it running in service mode..
lithorus

Post by lithorus »

Tried to run the thing as a service with only the x64 files. It crashes but I'm still able to move the mouse on the remote machine through the established connection, but get no picture and cannot reconnect.
Have gathered some debug files.
http://rapidshare.de/files/10260637/winvnc_x64.rar.html
Last edited by lithorus on 2006-01-02 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
lithorus

Post by lithorus »

Any development?
mgillespie

Post by mgillespie »

I have compiled the latest CVS code, using Visual Studio 2005 (VC8), in both 32bit and x64 mode. I had some make some small changes, but it appears to be working. I even got all the authentication DLL's to build.

Any use to anyone?
domingos

Re: X64 server and driver version available for download

Post by domingos »

Please let me now if it also work on amd64 and windows 2003 x64
I did try it on AMD64 X2, Asus A8V Deluxe, and windows serv er 2003 x64 standard edition.

The driver seems to install; no complains.

The server also runs but... As soon as the client logs on, and the screen starts to appear on the client side, the server dies. An error record is issued in windows.

Cheers, and keep the good work. 8)
DssTrainer

Post by DssTrainer »

mgillespie wrote:I have compiled the latest CVS code, using Visual Studio 2005 (VC8), in both 32bit and x64 mode. I had some make some small changes, but it appears to be working. I even got all the authentication DLL's to build.

Any use to anyone?
I wouldn't mind taking a look if you have this working better.

Thanks
LazyDogNet

Post by LazyDogNet »

I manually copied the x64 version to the Program Files (x86) folder and it ran fine manually and I could connect to it without any issues. I then manually created a service for it (using the SC command), but couldn't connect this way because it said it didn't have a password associated with it.

I tried tweaking with the registry, but couldn't get passed this issue.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this loaded and working via the services?

Appreciate any comments.

LDN
Last edited by LazyDogNet on 2006-04-22 04:25, edited 1 time in total.
g0dFather

Post by g0dFather »

lithorus wrote:Tried to run the thing as a service with only the x64 files. It crashes but I'm still able to move the mouse on the remote machine through the established connection, but get no picture and cannot reconnect.
The x64 server works fine for me as long as I don't install the hook driver. When the hook driver is installed, the server crashes as soon as I enter the password on the viewer, with the same symptoms as lithorus explained.

Does anyone have a fix for this? I'm running XP Pro x64 on an Athlon X2 4200+ with an nvidia 7900 GT
daznada

It works great for me

Post by daznada »

Hi,

I’m running Ultra VNC Server as service in Windows XP PRO X64 on Athlon 64 3000+ without any problems... :D
The steps I suggest are the following:
1.- Install hook drivers
2.- Decompress, execute and setup winvnc (password, ports, windows firewall, etc)
3.- Disable Remote Desktop (It seems that it makes VNC crash when reconnecting for second time)
4.- Install VNC Service, running “winvnc –install” (Before, I tried to create the service with “sc create” command, but it didn’t work)

And that is all… It worked for me.

Daz_
g0dFather

Post by g0dFather »

I wished it worked like that for me. The hook driver seems to have issues on reboot. I can install and use it just fine. Once I reboot though, the server crashes as soon as I enter my password on the client side. I relaunch it, try to log in and the same thing happens.

I can go to the command line, type NET STOP VNCCOM and kill the service, relaunch the server and again it will work fine until I reboot again.

One thing i've noticed is the hook driver is always listed as active even before i log in. Shouldn't it always be inactive when no client is connected?

Anyway, i gave up on the x64 drivers (for now), installed v1.0.2 x86 with no hook drivers and left it at that.
net314

Post by net314 »

Hello,

This is my first post to this forum and I've already found what I needed: an x64 port of UltraVNC.

I can verify that using the files from

http://sc.uvnc.com/V2

winvnc_x64.zip
vncdrv_x64.zip

the x64 WinVNC server and mirror driver work like a charm on these systems:

Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 on quad Opteron 270 server (hp)
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on Athlon64 X2 3800+

Both systems had the 32-bit version of UltraVNC installed. In order for the x64 version to work correctly, all you need to do is 1) stop the 32-bit WinVNC service from running and from being loaded on startup and 2) uninstall (unregister) the 32-bit service, using the -remove command (or the Unregister Service Shortcut on the VNC program group).

After that, you can copy the x64 files to \Program Files\UltraVNC (so that they reside in the 64-bit program files section <- EXTREMELY IMPORTANT).

The next step is to install the x64 mirror driver BEFORE the x64 WinVNC server. After doing so, you can issue these commands, to complete installation:

\Program Files\UltraVNC\WinVNC.exe -install
\Program Files\UltraVNC\WinVNC.exe -servicehelper

Reboot and your VNC server is up and running in 64-bit :)

I have one question though: the x64 compiled version is based on UltraVNC 1.01, is it possible using the x64 compiler in VS2005 (with the necessary SDKs installed) and by grabbing the latest source tarball, to compile an x64 server based on 1.02?

Many thanks in advance.
lithorus

Post by lithorus »

What bit depth are you running on the server?

Which gfx card and did you install drivers for the gfx card?
Last edited by lithorus on 2006-08-01 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
net314

Post by net314 »

lithorus wrote:What bit depth are you running on the server?

Which gfx card and did you install drivers for the gfx card?
The server is running on 32-bit using ATI Catalyst 6.6 drivers for x64.
Vjay82

Post by Vjay82 »

Hi,

i tested this on amt64, it runs really smoothly.
Im happy to have the mirrordriver back, good work.

Will there be a x64Version for the actual build too?
Or better, will there be x64-versions for all new releases?

A happy 64bit user
dbrencher

Post by dbrencher »

Hi,

I tried to install the 64bit files on three different ways, on similar Windows 2003 Servers, Standard Edition x64 with Opteron 4* 2,2 Mhz as server blades. Both used testing servers had no VNC installed before.

Unfortunatly I experienced probs with every installation. Firstly I installed the native files, without an installation of 32 bit files upfront. The performance was great, but black screens appeard when running the session without Microsofts Remote Desktop (RDP).

So, I deinstalled and installed 32 files, installed the 64 bit files later,
using closely the same installation procedure net314 has posted here (thanx man!). The service and server worked, unfortunatly the performance was bad.

At the latest, I used a new clean server, tried to install exactly the way net314 has descriebed it, but the hook driver wasn't able to start and the performance was bad, again. We thougt, it would be clever not to install via RDP, but we haven't found a way to get this files working correctly.

Finally we gave up :sad:

Hoping someone will not only find a solution how this files work and will post a detailed installation procedure. All others good luck with this.
net314

Post by net314 »

Very sad to see dbrencher not succeed with the x64 installation.

It is a fact however that this x64 version is extremely "picky" regarding systems. I managed to install it on the dual Opteron Windows Server 2003 x64 Standard machine (and my home Windows XP x64, too), but failed miserably (even following what I did previously with success) with three more installations: an EMT64 Windows XP system, another Windows Server 2003 x64 Uniprocessor setup and an AMD64 Windows XP x64 installation.

The driver and server install fine but crash upon receiving the password from the remote client. After that, the service is terminated and it's impossible to access the machine (hopefully Terminal Server was running, so I've managed to log-on to the machine and check the Event Log). All installations were done from the console.

The performance of VNC server on 64-bit systems (both 32-bit binary and 64-bit) is worse (without the hook driver) than the one you get from a native 32-bit system (even without the hook driver), due to the WOW64 overhead on 64-bit systems. That's why I try to install the VNC server on "clean" from 32-bit versions systems, to reduce the chance of this mixture of architectures (and registry entries).

Let's hope that UltraVNC gets fully ported to x64 soon, as it is an invaluable administration tool and x64 bit servers are very common these days.
mesfar

Post by mesfar »

Is there someone, other than Daznada, which succeeded to have have UltraVNC 64bits as service?

Or, is there another solution ?

:cry:
g0dFather

Post by g0dFather »

I posted in here a long time ago...never got it to work properly for me with the hook driver but works fine without. The hook driver conflicts with my DirectX too so it's just as well.

Overall, I became frustrated and started using Windows Remote Desktop. VNC is still installed but only used when I need to do a file transfer.

Wish I could offer more help.
kokamomi

Post by kokamomi »

doesn't work here either with the same hang on login, on a sempron64/geforce 7300gt running xp pro x64 sp2(rc)

real shame. is there any way we could help?
Last edited by kokamomi on 2007-03-19 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
cdemwell

Post by cdemwell »

Doesn't work here either; Dual Opteron 280 CPUs with Windows XP 64-bit SP2, ATI rage XL PCI card with ATI drivers. I've tried removing all traces of the driver, it works as expected (ie, super slow but there it is) and I've tried installing the driver from the above link - same error as seems common, WinVNC crashes upon successful authentication.

What's the status on this port - are you planning to polish it up for v2? Is it basically on hold? Is there something you need to continue development? Is there a particular problem that maybe someone in the community could help you with?
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Hi Guys,

Im new to this forum. - A little background

I run a smallish render farm which until now is x86 and today i got the first of our x64 machines through - with more to follow.

I currently use UVNC to administer the machines (Saves me getting out of my chair)

I wonder if this is the x64 software im looking for which has been linked to on this thread.

It says something about WINVNC here and i have previously used Ultra VNC which i have liked using very much -

Can you tell me if this is the software im looking for and if indeed I install this and it works will it be ok for a 32 bit machine to log into a x64 server and control it using previous versions of ULTRAVNC.

Get back to me guys and sorry for the lame questions - i did read through the previous posts and wasnt able to answer my questions.

Psmith
Mouvar

Post by Mouvar »

Great job on the driver and server! I'm currently running Windows XP x64 and after making doubly-sure that it was installed correctly to the 64-bit Program Files directory (it really DOES make a big difference!) I tried running it with the hook driver installed... it works great!

However, I have one small issue with it. This isn't that big of a deal, but there is a problem with multiple-monitors (I use two monitors at my house) where it will only properly display a single monitor. The 32-bit version of the VNC server and driver properly displayed the contents of both monitors with a scrollable window. The 64-bit version with the hook driver installed (I have not yet tried it without the driver) does not properly display the second window. My viewer shows the space that the window should be at, but the picture for that half of the display does not update. It is always frozen at a slightly distorted version of whatever the first monitor displayed when the viewer was brought up and does not change.

PSmith--
A 32-bit viewer can connect to a 64-bit server. It matters not what the OS running the viewer is, 32-bit or 64-bit will do fine. A 64-bit viewer executable hasn't been made yet that I can find. If anyone has one please show me because I'd love to try it!

Moving on... Psmith, this is indeed UltraVNC, a pretty darned good remote control program. The 64-bit version works great for me minus the hitch earlier. The trick to installing it is this:

1) Do not install the 32-bit beforehand. If you have it installed, uninstall it and make sure the service is removed. If you have to remove the service manually use the command in run: "C:\Program files (x86)\UltraVNC\Winvnc.exe" -remove

2) use the install.bat file in the 64-bit driver download zipfile you can get from this thread. Double-check to make sure it installed correctly by checking device manager.

3) Put the 4 64-bit files for the UVNC server from the other zip file in C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\ (this is Program Files, NOT Program Files (x86) and this DOES matter, as stuff run in x86 seems to not work right likely due to the WOW64 emulator and registry crap...)

4) Put this in the run command: "C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\winvnc.exe" -install

5) You are good to go. Set your password and have fun.
Last edited by Mouvar on 2007-09-24 08:59, edited 2 times in total.
Micha

Post by Micha »

I have done anything like described. If the hook mirror driver is enabled, than I get a connection with black screen only. If I disable the display driver and restart the PC (server), than it works.

My systems are both XP64, the server is the 64Bit installation and the viewer the 32bit one.

I used the Remote Desktop of XP befor, but the remoted display wasn't fast enough. My questions are:
- Is UltraVNC faster than the XP solution?
- Help's to use the mirror display driver?
- How do I get the mirror display driver working?

Thanks,
Micha
www.simulacrum.de 3D visualisation for designer and architects
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I have tried Mouvar's guide posted on 2007-09-24 08:50 and after installation, Video Hook driver will appear in Device manager in section "Display adapters" as "Winvnc video hook driver". It really works BUT:

- UltraVNC cannot run as service! Unofficial version of Video Hook driver for Win x64 will work only if you run UltraVNC as appliaction

- When installed, you may encounter some problems with graphic - for example some games will show you only black screen. So if you want to play the game, disable it and restart :) after playing reenable

I have Windows x64 SP2 with all latest updates.
redge

Post by redge »

uvnc 105 x64
http://sc.uvnc.com/105/X64
please feel feedback x64 AMT64 before release on sourceforge.

details
[topic=13453][/topic]
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer