Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

tabbed_viewer (1.2)

Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

tabbed_viewer (1.2)

Post by Rudi De Vos »

+save open sessions
+save favorites
(no more manual creation of directories)

+fullscreen bar, placed on fullscreen desktop (multi-mon)
+corrected missing pixels (fullscreen), previous version had a invisable
1 pixel boder -->fullscreen was actual fullscreen -2-->auto-resize (slower)

This viewer is at least as stable as the latest release version.

Does not support tight encoding !!!
-We use a faster "dib-memcpy" instead of setpixel to update screen.
-Tight have some internal color method that's not suitable for memcpy-->
tight disbled
Viewer does not set lower color modes auto !!
64 and 16 colors need to be selected manual. Auto color switching sometimes seems to cause a viewer crash on fluctuating bandwidth.

Download
http://sc.uvnc.com/V2/
tabbed_vncviewer.exe
Sergio

GPF

Post by Sergio »

Rudi:

Tested with:

WINVNC 1.0.1 Installed as service
MSLogon
NO DSM Plugin

After authentication, every time, the viewer crash with a GPF ...

With the vncviewer15BETA.exe and the same options, everything works just ok.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

On hold.
Some last change crash it...

Will post an update.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Back online
Crash fixed (some stupid typo)
sbosanquet

Post by sbosanquet »

Hello,

I am seeing some strange behaviour with the new tabbed viewer

1) Everytime i click the new connection button the connection window appears. Great but everytime it loads it has the use proxy button ticked. That is fine so i disable it but then the next time i click on the new connection it is back again. The change in setting for the proxy doesn't seemed to be saved.
If i open up the normal v1.01 viewer and turn off the proxy and connect to a host. Close down 1.01 and open the tabbed viewer the proxy check has gone. Now it is the other way round. You cannot get it to stay on. It just doesn't seem to be saving the status. Even with save defaults checked this doesn't save either.

Issue Fixed in tabbed_vncviewer_123.exe

2) Open a new connection. Click on the toggle fully screen mode once so the viewer goes full screen. Click on the restore down button in the menu that appears at the top of the screen to return the viewer back to normal mode. The blue header bar containing your close, minimise, maximise buttons has dissapeared. The top of the viewer is terminated by the menu bar(File, Screen, Special Keys etc). If you click the full screen toggle button again it makes the viewer fill the screen (not full screen) and you loose the menu bar but you get back your top blue bar with the close, minimise, maximise buttons on.
Should it do this?

Issue Fixed in tabbed_vncviewer_121.exe

3) In full screen mode the minimise button on the dropdown bar doesn't do anything

Minimise now works but you loose the host start menu bar at the bottom of the screen. It seems to be hidden rather than closed. If you press the windows key when in this state the start menu appears but stil no tool bar. You have to alt+tab back to the viewer and take it out of full screen mode. You can then see your start menu bar

Fixed in tabbed_vncviewer_122.exe

4) You have lost the XP Style for buttons etc which you had on V1.01

5) If i close down the viewer when you have some connections open it writes a .vnc file to a temp folder within th vnc directory. This is fine and could be a handy feature if you are always connecting to the same hosts. Is it possible to disable this feature?

Feature Added to tabbed_vncviewer_122.exe

5b) If you connect to a system using MS Logon authentication 1, then close the viewer so it saves the info to the .vnc file. When you open the viewer it tries to reconnect but you get a VNC Authetication Failed message. This is fine but from a personal point of view i would prefer to have the option to re-enter my user details for MS Logon Authentication. In it's current state should it log stright in even with MS Logon I/II enabled?

Fixed in tabbed_viewer_127.exe

6) If you make the VNC viewer maximised you can see the end of the tab width. It stops about 4 inches or so in from the right hand side. Is there any way to make the space for the amount of tabs biggers when maximising the viewer?

7) Just an idea but rather than have the New Connection tab would it be possible to have another icon in the main menu bar instead as you loose a minimum of one tabs width straight off? Just a thought.

8) If you move the scroll bars down to the bottom when the resolution is bigger than your current viewer size. When you click on the toggle full screen it makes the window full screen but because you have scrolled down to the bottom you end up with a big black band at the bottom of the screen and are missing the same amount at the top of the screen. You cannot get back to it until you come out of full screen mode. To get full screen to work correctly you need to make sure the scroll bars are in the top and left position.

Note: You need to turn Autoscale in full screen mode off otherwise the same thing happens.

Issue Fixed in tabbed_vncviewer_125.exe

9) Left over mouse cursors - If you open a vnc session to a PC then move the mouse quickly over the screen (going in a circle works well) you get a number of left over mouse cursors which never dissapear until you hit the manual refresh. I find this really noticeable when connecting from a desktop to my laptop. The laptop resulution runs at 1400x1050. No Scaling and i have tried both auto select for encoding type and selecting specific ones but i always get the same effect.

Not sure when this was fixed but i don't seem to be able to reproduce it now with the new viewer

10) Pressing Toggle Remote Input And Remote Blank Monitor Button sends the windows key to the remote machine and doesn't toggle the input on and off

Issue seems to be fixed as of tabbed_vncviewer_123.exe when testing on desktop machines. When i tried to a laptop the screen came back on but the cursor and keyboard control didn't.

11) Press full screen button. Press window from toolbar. The window will come back in tile view. Repeat and you will find that on the second time the scroll bars don't come back on the tiled window. You need to manually resize it.

12) Whatever mode i am in i cannot get the "hide toolbar buttons" button to work. Nothing seems to happen apart from once where the viewer crashed but i haven't been able to repeat the crash yet.

13) Help Menu-> Nat2Nat doesn't do anything

Menu Changed in tabbed_vncviewer_121.exe to indicate that this feature is todo

14) Suffers from Clipboard bug (See Forum Post: [topic=5647][/topic])

15) Minor graphical bug: The Connect button and drop down list which are located in the tool bar overlap the top border of the toolbar.

Fixed in tabbed_vncviewer.exe

16) Minor graphical bug: Some of the icon's seem to have a pink tinge to their background.

17) Continuation of 5b. If you save a favourite and say yes to saving the password in the VNC file it fails to connect when you try to connect to it from the favourites menu.

18) It would be nice to be able to give your favourites a "friendly" name.

An extra option has been added to enable the user to manage their favourites from explorer

19) Also, if you have a favourite already set for a connection and you save the same details you are not told you already have a favourite for the host and asked if you want to overwrite it. I could understand this if you could have multiple .vnc files for the same host just with different settings in but since you only get a new .vnc file if you change the port then you can easily overwrite the files by accident.

20) Mouse wheel doesn't scroll vertical scroll bar. You can only move this manually.

Issue Fixed in tabbed_vncviewer_122.exe

21) Comment: There is no mimimum size on the viewer so you can collapse it all the way up to the title bar. I personally would like a minimum viewer size. Personal preference really.

22) The full IP address is not saved to the .vnc filename when you do a save as favourite. It is cut off at 10 characters so for the following IP addresses you get the following filenames:

10.254.9.203 -> 10.254.9.2-5900.vnc
10.254.11.150 -> 10.254.11.-5900.vnc

One problem is that on my network i have a PC with IP 10.254.9.203 and 10.254.9.2 so how do i know which the favourite is refering to?

Cheers

Simon
Last edited by sbosanquet on 2006-02-08 08:50, edited 21 times in total.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

We still need to check the user interface for all the layout related stuff.
Manual programming tabbed viewers (without mfc or atl) seems to be more work then first thought. :wink:
Current work was mostly stability related.

I first want to add a encryption plugin and key manager before attacking
the layout.

Your feedback will shorten the layout test a lot, as we can direct attack the problems.
sbosanquet

Post by sbosanquet »

Hello Rudi,

Not a problem. I will keep making notes as and when i find things.

Any stability issues i find i will let you know.

Cheers,

Simon
netwolf

Post by netwolf »

I have a problem with Fullscreen with this viewer:

on my laptop (with the viewer) I have 1280x800.
on my server PC I used to have 1280x768 when I used the old viewer and never had a problem with fullscreen.
Now even if I set it to 1280x800 (same as viewer PC), I never get a real fullscreen.
Actually I can never see the remote taskbar, but the local taskbar instead.
As there is no vertical slider either, this is kind of a problem :|
Also there is obviously some scaling (on parts of the screen) which doesn't like good on a LCD screen.

Another things that's kind of irritating is that after the first connection, i don't have to enter anything after starting the viewer (neither IP not password!) and the viewer automatically connects to the server (no PW requested).
Is this intended ?

The last thing I noticed so far (which doesn't bother me) is that the mouse cursor is now red. Does this have any meaning ?
mbrown

Post by mbrown »

How about making the tabbed viewer remember its last window size and position?

Reasoning: I run 1280x1024 on my desktop (viewer) and 1024x768 on my servers. Every time I open the tabbed viewer, I have to drag the bottom-right corner down to make the tabbed viewer larger than the 1024x768 server window, so the server window isn't "cropped". It would be nice if the tabbed viewer remembered to stay exactly the window size it was when it was last closed.

Thanks
Michael
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

+For debugging i disable the always on top.
Topmost cover also the debugger :D
It seems i forgot to put it back, without this, the local taskbar cover the remote one..window order error.

+When you close the viewer, while session are still open, the
current sessions are saved int ./../temp. If you have 5 sessions open,
all 5 are started on restart, this is inetended.
Still need to be added in some future global settings.
Workaround:
Close the session before closing the viewer, then it will not be saved.

+Sometimes we have a bad color translation for the cursor (x-cursor) shape. Some color translation error, not intended.. Will be fixed later,
error is not making it unusable.

+Remember size...future global setting.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

There where more then layout errors, the viewer wasn't workable.
So a fast update for some issue's

Should be Fixed
2)
3)
4)
6)
10)
Possible some other are also fixed.

Fullscreen ontop.
Fullscreen does not longer have the topmost, so you can use alt-tab to bring a local window up.
While in fullscreen, local taskbar is hiden so it does not cover the remote

Please test...
sbosanquet, can you update your bug list after testing.

download
tabbed_vncviewer_121.exe
http://sc.uvnc.com/V2
netwolf

Post by netwolf »

Thanks for the update.
Now fullscreen works as intended (with taskbar).
However, there is a strange sideeffect: when you are in fullscreen mode and then minimize the window, you get back to the local desktop, but the (local) taskbar is completely gone!
In order to get it back, you have to use taskmanager to reopen the viewer, then not minimize it but resize to prior size (the button in the middle, don't know what it's actually called), and then minimize (or close) it.

WRT strange mouse color: actually all other colors are perfect, it's only the color of the mouse that's 'wrong', always.
(although it's certainly not a sever problem).

WRT auto-connect after close: I understand that this is a handy feature, but a setting for that is really important as otherwise this might pose a major security risk.
Imagine you don't know about it and just close the viewer and the next user that uses the computer has total access to the remote computer without even having to enter a password...

temp-folder: is it possible to change the location of that folder ?
E.g. I use to save new (test)versions to the desktop to have direct and easy access to them without having to create shortcuts, and I just don't really like having a temp folder on my desktop :)
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Indeed, save last need to be an option.

Site_effect: I current set the taskbar back when pression restore, natural this also need to be done for the minimize button.

color mouse: Does it happen with all color depths ?

Subdirs:
We need
temp: savelast
viewers: save as favorite
viewers/IDxxx/ encryption and keys (still need to be done)

I want to be able to copy the viewer dir with subdirs to another machine
and keep predefined viewers with encryption and key.
Or just put it on a usb stick...

Natural, when you copy the exe on the desktop this will generate 2 subdirs. Easy copy and runnning exe from desktop seems not to be compatible.

Anybody an idea how to solve this ?
netwolf

Post by netwolf »

I always used Auto-select best settings, which seems to have always chosen 256 colors.

Now that you asked, I also tried the other color schemes and noticed that only 256 colors are affected (tried from full color to 8 colors).

WRT directories: why not use one (main) dir where all needed files/folders are saved and make its location configurable (and default to e.g. the Uvnc install dir, or x:\documents and settings\... of the currently logged in used).
sbosanquet

Post by sbosanquet »

Rudi,

I have updated the bug list in my earlier post. I will keep trying viewer 121 today to see if i can find anything else.

Simon
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Todo:(internal info, ignore)

+Local taskbar restore (after fullscreen) need also be added for _ and X

+Clipboard bug ? It is not only a veiwer prob, the server need to know that the viewer is minimized, else he still send his content to the viewer site. Possible this require an extra server<->viewer message and could break compat with previous server/viewer versions. Can't be solved without server changes. Need to wait.
TalynOne

Post by TalynOne »

Bugs noticed:

*The new tab viewer seems to force the screen mode to scale in full screen mode.

I like the way RealVNC server handles multiple monitors a lot better than ULTRAVNC server. It creates one big desktop I can scroll, without having to use the video hook driver. I can't use the video hook driver in UltraVNC server since it screws up the ability to use the video capture built-in to the ATI video card on the server. When not using the video hook I have to use the viewer's toolbar "select full desktop" button, which is kind of annoying to deal with in full screen mode.

RealVNC works great as a server, but no viewer is able to do this and I'm hoping the tabbed viewer eventually will:

1.) Full screen on the client across two monitors to control a dual monitor target machine. Both the client and server have a dual monitor setup running 1920x1200 on both monitors.

* Feature request: User selectable hotkeys for toolbar functions.
Last edited by TalynOne on 2006-01-27 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
rmoller

Post by rmoller »

tabbed vncviewer 1.21 : every time I switch between tabs, an audible beep is emitted, even though my sound is disabled. This is unacceptable for my colleagues :)

Rasmus Møller
netwolf

Post by netwolf »

rmoller wrote:tabbed vncviewer 1.21 : every time I switch between tabs, an audible beep is emitted, even though my sound is disabled. This is unacceptable for my colleagues :)

Rasmus Møller
Confirmed.
This happens also the first time I open a new connection tab.
(it's the same sound that appears when you restore window size and the local taskbar disappears btw)

Something else I noticed is that my mouse wheel doesn't work at all on the remote PC.
Left and right click work perfectly, but using the mouse wheel doesn't do anything.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Beeps are just a leftover from debug.

low beep==
high bepp==
middle beep==

Fast to add and works in real time. :)

Will comment them in next build.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Fixed
1) You now have a button "save as default".
You can not longer auto save each connection, option was to confusing.
3) fixed
5) auto_save can be disabled (below "save as button")

7) icon is to difficult. I need to wait until somebody make a same style button that represent a new connection. Low priority
10) Should be working, but button on viewer does not change.
I want to change the server tray icon instead ( X) on the icon, the server know the exact state while to viewer icon is just a toggle.
15) fixed
18) 19) added manage favorite
It open an explorer of the favotite folder.
You can rename delete via the explorer, simple hack, but it allow to do what you want.
20) should be back OK

Beep, so your colleagues stay happy :)
sbosanquet

Post by sbosanquet »

Rudi,

I have update my bug list with things i have been able to confirm in the quick tests i did tonight. I have made seom comments below:
Rudi De Vos wrote:Fixed
1) You now have a button "save as default".
You can not longer auto save each connection, option was to confusing.

I used to quite like the way it was before. I am not sure what you mean by confusing as i find it more confusing now that it was before. Is the idea that you get all the settings then press the save default settings button? The connection box dissapears when you press the same button so you then have to reopen the connection box to connect to a host. As i say it could be that i just don't understand the new way of working with the button.
Rudi De Vos wrote: 10) Should be working, but button on viewer does not change.
I want to change the server tray icon instead ( X) on the icon, the server know the exact state while to viewer icon is just a toggle.

On my test from my laptop to my desktop, where the desktop was the remote connection i am seeing the same symptoms as earlier where you press the button and the screen goes off but it never comes back on when you press it again and the only way to get it back is to close the session. The icon status never seems to change from a mouse with an x. I thought it should toggle between this and a mouse with a minus symbol?
Rudi De Vos wrote: 18) 19) added manage favorite
It open an explorer of the favotite folder.
You can rename delete via the explorer, simple hack, but it allow to do what you want.

I need to do some more tests on this. I had a quick look and it seemed to do roughly what i wanted. Let me have a play and i will get back to you on that one with my comments.
Rudi De Vos wrote: 20) should be back OK

I still cannot get this to do anything. I give the window the focus then move the mouse scroll wheel and nothing.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

1)
Set default settings
Before you needed to check (x) and make a connection, unset (x)
Now:
Press save settings buttons.

We use the same option box for 2 seperate things.

20) What are you scrolling, local viewer session or remote ?
Mouse wheel should go to the remote application...
netwolf

Post by netwolf »

But you have to decide whether to use or not a connection as default before it is established.
This way you don't even know if the IP you entered is correct and still have to already save it as default.

IMO it would be better to add 'Save as default' below 'Save as favorite'.
Seems much more user friendly and intuitive to me.

WRT 'Save on exit': as this is kind of a 'global' setting and not per connection), it would be better placed in the Options dropdown menu as a global option.
E.g. add 'Save open sessions on exit' that can e toggled on/off, like status bar in windows explorer.

Mouse wheel works for me again.
Last edited by netwolf on 2006-01-28 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

The idea with the default settings is that you can set the connection options like cursor ,shared sessions...
So each time you make a new connection you don't have to go to the advanced options and only need to enter or select the IP/passwd

There seems to be some confusing between
"default server" and "default option"
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Blank screen corrected...

Added global settings in menu, should be clear without the need to explain how it works.

tabbed_viewer_123.exe
http://sc.uvnc.com/V2
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

todo:(ignore internal)
**Non ultravnc options when connected to realvnc server.
Buttons are global, so we can't remove them as in the single viewer.
Session needs to disable the messages and ignore thme incase you
connect to a non ultravnc server.

**Update server for blank screen notification.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Update 124

*Cursor not removed
*Disable non supported options in case non ultra server
(just a message box, buttons are global so can not be removed
as in single version)
sbosanquet

Post by sbosanquet »

Rudi,

I have updated the list i made.

You seem to have fixed the toggle remote keyboard/monitor and it works for me from desktop to desktop but not when i try desktop to laptop. Disabling works fine but when re-enabling it the monitor but not the keyboard/mouse input comes back.

You were right the scroll wheel does work on the remote server. I missed that one.

With regards to your comments on the copy buffer bug. I agree in that a change to both the server and the viewer would be required which would break compatibility if you needed a new message etc... but could you not just dump the information when it comes in if the viewer is minimised. At least then you would keep the backwards compatibility as you would only be modifying the viewer.

When you full screen from tabbed mode it just makes the window fill the screen and you still have the blue bar at the top of the tiled window. Is this what it should do?

Simon
Last edited by sbosanquet on 2006-01-30 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Global window mode: master has caption bar (-=x)
Global fullscreen: Master window take full desktop.
session fullscreen mode: session occupy master window
session window mode: session has caption bar(-=x)

You can have several combinations.
full +full --> no caption bars
full + window --> session window has caption bar and master window accupy full desktop
window+full -> master window has caption, session occupy master
window+window -> window in a window, 2 captions

buffer minimized: we can block outgoing clipboard, possible we just
need to dump the incomming clibboard to a dummy buffer. We need to receive the data, but blocking the handling can do the job.