Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

tabbed_viewer (1.2)

TalynOne

Post by TalynOne »

Rudi, I've got the tabbed viewer working 99% of the way I want, but how do I prevent it from scalling in full screen mode? It seems to ignore both the session and global settings and it always scales the dual monitor RealVNC server target.
Last edited by TalynOne on 2006-02-01 03:03, edited 1 time in total.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

full+full is auto scaled.
I will see if i can add it as option.

Seems harder.

Non scaled: 800x600 in a 1200x1024 viewer --> need to be centered,
boders need to be black.
1200x1024 in a 800x600 viewer--> we need to add full screen scrolling

One little option and a lot of code changes :wink:
rmoller

Post by rmoller »

I am happy with V124 but small nuisances:

- When the client screen is not quite high enough for the server screen (+ the 3 toolbars), a scroll bar appears on the right - thats fine.
But as you enlarge the window, the scroll bar disappears too quickly, that is, before all the server area is visible. So you end up controlling a server, where the start button is not visible, and there is no scroll bar.
However, you can still pull the window border further down, so it is only the scroll disappearing too quickly. I usually control servers running 1024x768 from a client running 1152x864. It barely fits the screen height - if I move the Windows toolbar to one of the sides...

- How do you close one connection without closing the other tabs?

Suggestion: I wonder if either the UVNC toolbar or the tabs could be located vertically on the side instead of horisontally to use client screen estate more efficiently? The most economical would be to combine them, so there is for example

one toolbar at the bottom horizontal. From the left towards the right, the server tab names. The rightmost 25% is reserved a small horizontal scroll bar.

one toolbar at the right vertical. From the top downwards, the usual set of UVNC toolbar icons. The bottom 25 % reserved for a small vertical tool bar.

Hope it is clear, and thanks a lot , it rocks!

Rasmus Møller
mbrown

Post by mbrown »

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but how about making the "new connection" tab small, as to not use up so much space on the tab bar. It could say simply "new", or just have a little icon indicating its purpose.
Michael
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

+scrollbar disappears too quickly:
viewersize+scrollbar==realviewersize --> scrollbar removed
This is correct ,else you could have trouble when your screen is not bigger then realviewersize.
But we should auto expand the viewersize to occupy the space of removed scrollbar.

+Close tabs: You have -=x below the master window -=x
This close the selected tab session.

+ toolbar: we still need to add "remove set toolbar", possible we can also add reposition or some drag and drop. :)

+"new connection": Just wondering, how many tabs sessionsare you planning to use....
I will try the viewer on a normal screen, 1920 width is not realy a standard. On 1920 it looks good :D, but it could be that it is to big for 1024.
netwolf

Post by netwolf »

What about adding the _x or the x only to each tab (like e.g. Opera does if you set it so) instead of the master window?
This way I think it would be more intuitive and you can close a tab without switching to it first (keep the current one active while closing the ones you no longer need).
mbrown

Post by mbrown »

+ "new connection" tab:
I have had about six or so sessions going with the servers on a 1024 width, and it gets to the point where you have to scroll the tab bar. Making the "new connection" tab smaller would help to eliminate this in some cases.
Michael
sbosanquet

Post by sbosanquet »

Either that or provide a right click context menu for the tab, which has some basic options e.g. close etc...
netwolf wrote:What about adding the _x or the x only to each tab (like e.g. Opera does if you set it so) instead of the master window?
This way I think it would be more intuitive and you can close a tab without switching to it first (keep the current one active while closing the ones you no longer need).
sbosanquet

Post by sbosanquet »

I would be tempted to scrap it and put a button in the menu bar. If we had a context menu you could have a new option on there.
mbrown wrote:+ "new connection" tab:
I have had about six or so sessions going with the servers on a 1024 width, and it gets to the point where you have to scroll the tab bar. Making the "new connection" tab smaller would help to eliminate this in some cases.
I did mention this in my original post and i think Rudi's reply was that he needed somebody to create an icon for the menu bar before he could do anything about this.
Rudi De Vos wrote: 7) icon is to difficult. I need to wait until somebody make a same style button that represent a new connection. Low priority
mbrown

Post by mbrown »

Good points. The new connection tab would be nice on the toolbar. Are there any UltraVNC fans out there that can make a nice icon for this? Who was it that made the nice icons for the logo and the green square with the eye?
sbosanquet wrote:I would be tempted to scrap it and put a button in the menu bar. If we had a context menu you could have a new option on there.
mbrown wrote:+ "new connection" tab:
I did mention this in my original post and i think Rudi's reply was that he needed somebody to create an icon for the menu bar before he could do anything about this.
Rudi De Vos wrote: 7) icon is to difficult. I need to wait until somebody make a same style button that represent a new connection. Low priority
Michael
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

**"-=+" not possible with current design.

We don't use the "atl or mfc "library for tabbed viewers. Current system buttons are handled by the mdi window stuff. This would require a design change, a tab need to be created different..
My operea version also has the "-=x" for the tabs, so the disgn is not that
unnatural.

We see what can be done for "new connection" and "buttons".
But when we make the buttons as option, the "new connection" tab is quite handy when buttons are removed.
netwolf

Post by netwolf »

In Opera you have the choice:
Tools - Preferences - General - 'Show close button on each tab'.
(automatically removes the buttons from the master window)

Is there a special reason why you don't use ATL/MFC?
It would save you a _lot_ of work, wouldn't it ?
And as UVNC is Windows-only (AFAIK), portability doesn't matter anyway.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

*MFC is MS only, is not supported by free compilers
*ATL, never has used the library. Knowlegde is zero.
I only checked the ATL source code for the implementation of some
gui parts, but this is still something different then actual using the lib.

** The single version didn't used it, so it would have required
to rewrite a big part of the code. 6 months and a lot of bugs.
netwolf

Post by netwolf »

Ok, I see that's valid reasons.
Thank you for the explanation !
redge

Post by redge »

prerequesite:
capture alpha-blending enabled on winvnc

test:
tabbed_viewer124.exe XP SP2 US LAN --> WLAN XP Home winxrdp

I discover a little bug appear as persistence alpha-blending after ... 5 sec

Very easy to check, go to web site shown on picture ( http://www.allo.ch )
http://www.swiss-adsl.net/redge/redge_t ... wer124.png

Move your mice over some topic and stay 5 sec and move to next topic stay again 5 sec and you can see persistence residual alpha-blending

+add to global option ... Log (not only from command line -logfile -loglevel 0-9)

security
+add vncviewer to log connect/disconnect to event viewer log ... application

Thank you very much for the great effort made since last beta :-)
especially for wheel mouse and black square diseapear
Thank you again for the big work, very happy.
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

New update,...we have already version 1.25 :)

changed: size "new connection"
+added remove/add "buttons", remove/add "tabbar"
+added custom hotkeys for all buttons

settings are saved with an ini file in %TEMP%

Vertical bars seems not possible, was not implementyed from start and now it's a hell to change it. But you can remove the buttons and tabbar and use your own hotkey.

New stuff was only fast checked. Just play with it and try
to detect bugs...

http://sc.uvnc.com/V2

It will never be 100% for everybody, but have little time in feb.
Only small changes and bug fixes.. else release will be
in march.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

sbosanquet

Post by sbosanquet »

Rudi,

I am having a few issues with saved connections and restoring them whe you open tabbed_vncviewer_125.exe with Settins->Save Session on Exit ticked.

1) One saved session works ok

2) Open two sessions and close down the viewer. Only one session is restored. Looking in the temp directory only one vnc file is created.

Fixed in tabbed_viewer_126.exe

3) Open four sessions and only two vnc sessions are saved. When you then reopen the viewer only two sessions are restored. If you then close it down you get bug #2.

Fixed in tabbed_viewer_126.exe

4) What is the number prefixed to the filename? Is this some sort of session number?

5) When opening multiple saved sessions (e.g. can see this from point 3 when reopening the saved sessions) the first (few) tab(s) aren't set to the correct width, goes to minimum width, and doesn't contain any text. Also, the text in the tab which does display doesn't always relate to the viewer it is referencing. It can be from one of the other sessions which doesn't have a tab text displayed.

6) Open a vnc session to one pc. Reboot remote PC whilst leaving the session connected. The session doesn't close when the PC is rebooted (Same on version 1.01). This is just a bit inconvenient but the actual problem is that after about 40s, after the remote server has gone down, an error will appear in a UltraVNC Info message box on the client saying "WriteExact: Socket error while writing". If you click the ok button the session will stay open but is unusable so you have to close it manually. Also, whatever you do DO NOT expand the window size once the viewer has dies otherwise you can get flooded with these messages. You have to expand the window prior to the first occurance of the Write error otherwise it handles the resizing and no more write errors appear.

Widow now closes after the timeout but you still get the "WriteExact: Socket error while writing" message.

7) I see that bytes are still being sent (in console window) even when the viewer is minimised. Is this correct?

8) There is a bug when opening and closing the same save session two or more times. Open a vnc session using the repeater to a host. Close the session down so it is saved. Open the tabbed viewer. This will restore the saved vnc session (and delete the .vnc file within the temp directory). Close down vnc so it saves a new .vnc session and then when you try to reopen the tabbed viewer you will find that the connection fails. I managed to grab a copy of both .vnc files and do a text difference on them. What i have seen is that the following options differ:

First .vnc file:
- autoDetect=0
- QuickOption=2
- UseProxy=1

Second .vnc file:
- autoDetect=1
- QuickOption=1
- UseProxy=0

Fixed in tabbed_viewer_127.exe

Plus the remaining ones in my original post on page 1.

That is all for now.

Simon
Last edited by sbosanquet on 2006-02-08 08:51, edited 5 times in total.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Did the previous version had the same "save issue".

Save on exit was move from session parameter to global parameter,
possible some error was intruduced in 1.25

4) random, was needed to be able to save 2 connections to the same server. Else, same servers have same .vnc file.

6)Will check it, should be not that difficult to close session on network error.
sbosanquet

Post by sbosanquet »

Yes, i have just done a quick test and the save on exit problems seem to be there in tabbed_vncviewer_124.exe. I don't have any earlier version so i cannot test them. I am sure it wasn't there originally but i could be, and probably am, mistaken.

I was just curious about point 4. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Simon
Rudi De Vos wrote:Did the previous version had the same "save issue".

Save on exit was move from session parameter to global parameter,
possible some error was intruduced in 1.25

4) random, was needed to be able to save 2 connections to the same server. Else, same servers have same .vnc file.

6)Will check it, should be not that difficult to close session on network error.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Error found...
On exit save session0 session1... sessionx
But sessions are dynamic, when you close session0, session1 become
session0...sessionx-1.
Solution: save all sessions, before start closing them...

5) Is has the same origin, sometimes a session is being closed while
you was saving it, -->corrupt .vnc

6) Extra check added, close session after One warning

update: 1.26
sbosanquet

Post by sbosanquet »

Rudi,

I have updated my bug report above and added one definite and one question.

Simon
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Extra check added, close session after One warning
One Warning .....else users say session crashed without any reasons.

7) There was a change between single and tabbed
When minimized, updates are set to slow mode (same for non focussed sessions) This was done to prevent router timeouts.
non focus--> one update every x sec
focus-->normal
minimized -> one update every xx sec, don't remember exact, but data
wasn't a lot.

What's the most important bug left from page 1... don't have a lot of time left to make make changes, so some selection is needed.
sbosanquet

Post by sbosanquet »

Hello Rudi,

I would say the bugs that need to be fixed from my first post ([topic=5652][/topic]) are (in order):

- 5b
- If this is not possible then you shouldn't really be able to save MS Logon sessions at all.

- If you are not supposed to be able to do anything with it then why not gray it out?

- This can be very confusing when working on multihomed/multi IP systems. Should be an easy one to fix.

I think if you can fix these with the ones mentioned earlier today, which i believe to be more important, then you will have a good release and hopefully not get too many questions in the forum.

Again, I was curious about point 7 from earlier. Thanks for the info.

With regards to the WriteExact error. Is this too technical for the avaerage user? Is there no way of simplifying this message.

I hope this helps.

Simon
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

-5b, i will disbale saving the passwd in case mslogon
Loading .vnc without passwd prompt for it

-12: Is already implemented as menu, i just need to add the sendmessge

-22: should be fixed in latest version, forgot to tell (14dig instead of 10)

Will check the changing .vnc savings..
sbosanquet

Post by sbosanquet »

I still don't understand the use of the button. The menu works and hides/shows the tab toolbar and buttons toolbar but the button does nothing. Never mind.

[quote="Rudi De Vos"]
-12: Is already implemented as menu, i just need to add the sendmessge
quote]
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Clarification:
Current button does nothing. I need to add
SendMessage (), just the same way as it id done for for the menu option.
(30 sec job)

Sorry, sometimes i'm just writing in encryption :D
kger

Launching .VNC file doesn't open connection in tabbed viewer

Post by kger »

I've found that invoking a .VNC file will open the new tabbed viewer (latest 1.25 version), but not open that connection.

This is probably well down the list in terms of importance, but I wanted to mention it in case it's not on the "to do" list.
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

5b: We don't save the password in case of ms-logon.
This force the dialog box to popup to enter user/passwd, but no failed connection.
NOT tested, don't use it at home

12: OK
22: OK, please check

8) There was an error in reading the saved file. OK

Please check the reading of the .vnc /auto on start, from favorites,...
This part is tricky and with a lot of conditional statements. Possible it still contain some errors.

http://sc.uvnc.com/V2
sbosanquet

Post by sbosanquet »

From your last post do you mean you have posted the new 127 version? I don't see it, only 125.