Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

Test version v1.02 online

Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Test version v1.02 online

Post by Rudi De Vos »

http://sc.uvnc.com/UltraVNC-1.0.2-Setup.exe
http://sc.uvnc.com/UltraVNC-1.0.2-bin.zip

** v1.0.2 Release

- Larger FileTransfer window
- Improved cursor handling in viewer and javaviewer
- Improved Autoreconnect option in server
- Improved query-on-incoming-connection window in server
- MSLogon improvements
- Server and viewer logging functions fix

New Nat2Nat connector has been included
ecyoung

Post by ecyoung »

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but does 1.0.2 include the fix for the buffer overflow exploit (mentioned here [topic=6364][/topic])
Rudi De Vos
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by Rudi De Vos »

Server and viewer logging functions fix
(log buffer overflow exploit)
netwolf

Post by netwolf »

Thank you for the update!

Didn't have much time to test yet, but I noticed that I now have 2 entries of UltraVNC in Software- Add/Remove.

IMO it would be better to udpate the item and have only 1 add/remove entry.

I know it's very minor, but still wanted to mention it :)

One question: does this package also contain the new tabbed viewer?
(didn't install it, so I can't say)
redge

Post by redge »

netwolf wrote:does this package also contain the new tabbed viewer?
yes
UltraVNC 1.0.9.6.1 (built 20110518)
OS Win: xp home + vista business + 7 home
only experienced user, not developer
ultrasecretvnc

Trouble with 1.02 updated release

Post by ultrasecretvnc »

I have 2 problems:

1) File Transfer window is larger then my screen. It seems to be about 850x650 pixels. Does not work very well on my 800x600 pixel screen. The FT window does not seem to be sizable.

2) Horrible File Transfer rate - I have a gigabit local area network with high quality intel NIC cards and gigabit switch. Transfer between machines have been benchmarked at 65 MB/S - 65 Mega Bytes Per Second with (open source) iperf utility.

The UltraVNC File Transfer only transfers at about 40 KB/S - 40 Kilo Bytes Per Second. This is about 1400 times slower then the iperf benchmark. (I have tested between 3 machines, and it does not seem related to any one machine)

Any chance of someone duplicating and/or testing this issue independently.

3) Off Topic Recommendation - Any thoughts of standardizing on a protocol like SFTP (secure FTP) in the future for file transfer between all VNC implementations?

There are quite a few excellent open source SFTP implementations available. UltraVNC could simple reuse one of these implementations instead of reinventing/recoding an equivalent.
UltraSam
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by UltraSam »

I have to rework the new large FT window as I've found 2 display bugs with the progress gauge... :(

So I will also check that it fits on a 800*600 screen but it should already be the case...
Making it resizeable is too much work for now...

For the low transfer rate over LAN, I've just rechecked:

- I get an average 5-10Mb per sec on my -slow- lan

- If you minimize the FT window during a transfer the transfer rate becomes lower because the bandwidth is shared with the screen updatesdata....
but even in this case I get 1-2Mb per seconds.

- Standard SFTP using existing open source codebase is something that is seriously considered for UltraVNC V2. But it won't be in V1.
FYI, I've developped the UltraVNC FT protocole in a few hours in January 2002... and it was originally supposed to be for my own exclusive usage only, so it's oviously not perfect...
UltraSam
redge

Post by redge »

Server and viewer logging functions fix
(log buffer overflow exploit)
SCIII and vncviewer_ssl not updated
http://sc.uvnc.com/sciii/
Last edited by redge on 2006-04-29 02:12, edited 1 time in total.
ultrasecretvnc

Slow UltraVNC Fire Transfer - Kerio Firewall monitoring

Post by ultrasecretvnc »

I have run a few (5 Mega Byte) file transfers using UltraVNC with KERIO fire wall monitoring performance. Incomming transfer average rate of 41.90 Kilo Bytes / Second, Outbound transfer 1.05 Kilo Bytes / Second.

I later removed all software firewalls (KERIO) and re-ran the test, again it took 134 seconds to transfer a 5 Mega Byte File. This works out to 37,313 bytes per second - or about 37 Kilo Bytes per second.

These measurements were made from the VNC viewer side.

Both these system are running Ultra VNC 1.02 under WIN98SE, with Intel gigabit ethernet NIC's.

I then ran some testes sending from the viewer to the server.

Smaller files < 5 Mega Bytes seem to transfer very quick 1~2 seconds. A 14 Mega Byte File took 25 seconds. So transfer to server is faster, much faster with small files, slower with larger files.

Is there anything in the system that would make Server->Viewer much slower than Viewer->Server.
Vinzz

New version

Post by Vinzz »

- If you minimize the FT window during a transfer the transfer rate becomes lower because the bandwidth is shared with the screen updatesdata....
but even in this case I get 1-2Mb per seconds.
Is it possible now, to combine filetransfer and viewer??
Improved autoreconnect
What's changed exactly? Does it not timeout?

Thanks in advance.
Vinzz

Filetransfer

Post by Vinzz »

I see that the progressbar is still a bit visible after the filetransfer is done... A little cosmetic bug I know...
redge

Post by redge »

Vinzz wrote: Improved autoreconnect
What's changed exactly? Does it not timeout?
I think their fixed explorer/iexplore fixed but is not true.
tested viewer 1.0.2 and server 1.0.2
winvnc -autoreconnect -connect 192.168.1.100
vncviewer -listen (toggle listen ON for 1st connection, disabled 2nd connection)

[topic=3893][/topic]
Last edited by redge on 2006-04-29 07:45, edited 1 time in total.
redge

Post by redge »

winvnc.exe 1 port
come back :-)

that the server runs both services (http/vnc) on one port
download and unzip
http://sc.uvnc.com/UltraVNC-1.0.2-bin.zip

rename winvnc.exe --> winvnc2p.exe
rename winvnc1p.exe --> winvnc.exe
sgp

Post by sgp »

Inside the zip file, the 2p default version is dated April 23, 6 days older than the 1p version (April 17). However the size is the same. Is 1p vs 2p the only difference, or are there other differences?
UltraSam
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by UltraSam »

I was away the past 2 weeks (holidays + profesionnal trip).

We have 2 small bugs to fix in the new larger FT window (gauge and percentage are masked during transfer).

Will do it on tomorrow or tuesday and recompile vncviewer so we can redo the 1.0.2 setup and put it online.
UltraSam
OPERATOR

Post by OPERATOR »

i have found a bug in this release and all releases bevor. the problem is only happend, wenn you use 2 monitors and vncviewer is running on the secound monitor. you bring it into the fullscreen mode and no output is to see.

you can find the complete discription here:

[topic=6590]Bug in VNCViewer 0 -> 1.0.2 Fullscreen on 2nd Screen[/topic]

kind regards

Alex
Ares
Former moderator
Former moderator

Post by Ares »

First off, I just want to say I'm very glad to see a new version! I've missed the rapid updates since the release of 1.0.1 ;)

I have two little problems, and I'm not sure if they are by design or not. After using the installer, File Transfer stops working and says "File Transfer permission denied: disabled or unknown user or version incompatibility." I used the same installer on both machines.

After some playing around, I discovered if I disable the "user impersonation" the File Transfer works again. And yes, I'm running the server as a service.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if this was by design or what. I'm assuming the user must be logged out for File Transfer to work with user impersonation enabled? Just confused me since it was enabled by default and would not let me use FT on a logged-in machine.

Also, my viewers (non-tabbed) are still v1.0.1 - I'm assuming this is just a cosmetic bug, or that the viewer wasn't updated in this release. Just wanted to check.

Anyway, keep up the awesome work! I'll have to start checking the forums more often :-D

-Ares
Last edited by Ares on 2006-05-16 05:08, edited 1 time in total.
bevtech

Post by bevtech »

I am curious if the tabbed viewer supports the DSM plugins at this time
Bevtech

Windows XP Home, Pro SP2, Windows 2003 SBS server SP2(EN), Windows Media Center Editon 2005,Windows Vista Home Prem.,Fedora Core 6,Win9X, PChelpware Rel 1.0,
UVNC V 1.0.8.2

User not developer..;)
edwindevaan

Post by edwindevaan »

Hi,

I am testing with the new v1.02 UltraVNC.
Servers on my LAN are all v1.01 with MSRC4Plugin_noreg.dsm v1.1.8.0, mirror driver and (new) MS Logon support.
When I connect with the v1.02 vncviewer.exe I can have multiple sessions thus multiple instances of vncviewer.exe all connected to different servers.
When I use tabbed_vncviewer.exe upon connecting the second session a series of error messages follow (screenshot).
I hope you can fix this bug, since I really like the tabbed viewer.

Kind regards,
Edwin de Vaan
UltraSam
Admin & Developer
Admin & Developer

Post by UltraSam »

Ares wrote:First off, I just want to say I'm very glad to see a new version! I've missed the rapid updates since the release of 1.0.1 ;)

I have two little problems, and I'm not sure if they are by design or not. After using the installer, File Transfer stops working and says "File Transfer permission denied: disabled or unknown user or version incompatibility." I used the same installer on both machines.

After some playing around, I discovered if I disable the "user impersonation" the File Transfer works again. And yes, I'm running the server as a service.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if this was by design or what. I'm assuming the user must be logged out for File Transfer to work with user impersonation enabled? Just confused me since it was enabled by default and would not let me use FT on a logged-in machine.

Also, my viewers (non-tabbed) are still v1.0.1 - I'm assuming this is just a cosmetic bug, or that the viewer wasn't updated in this release. Just wanted to check.

Anyway, keep up the awesome work! I'll have to start checking the forums more often :-D

-Ares

Well, when FTUserImpersonation is checked, the user must be loggued in to have the right to use FT. And in this case the windows user credentials are used by FT to limit his access the file resources on the server.
If FTUserImpersonation is off, the UltraVNC connected user (throught the viewer) have full access the server file system with no restriction and doesn't even need to be loggued in (like in all previous versions of UltraVNC < v1.0.0)

The v1.0.2 viewer has also been improved. Larger FT window (still cosmetics bugguy, I'm working on it....) and -very- small security fix. That's all.
UltraSam
dscline

Losing mouse and keyboard on server

Post by dscline »

I installed 1.02 on this machine this morning. Shortly afterwards, my mouse and keyboard stopped responding. I THOUGHT the machine was locked up since I was getting no response to CTR+ALT+DEL, but after rebooting it happened again, and I noticed something in the background was still getting screen updates. So I went to another machine and VNC'd in to it, and sure enough, the machine was fine, it's just that the local mouse & keyboard stopped responding. This is not due to a remote VNC session - I'm the only one using it. After several times, I turned off the VNC service, and haven't lost mouse/keyboard yet.

FWIW, this is on a machine that has historically had problems with VNC. About a year ago I was using it as an HTPC, and had problems with it locking up all the time. I never could find the problem, but never did try uninstalling VNC (it's role as an HTPC machine meant it didn't have easy keyboard/mouse/monitor access). I ended up giving up on this machine, and have replaced it with another machine that is now running 1.01 without any problems. I recently decided to re-deploy this machine, and in testing found that uninstalling VNC solved the lock-ups. Now that 1.02 is out, I tried it, and now have the mouse/keyboard issue (which happens within minutes, vs. the hours/days issue I had with lock-ups, so I don't know if the lockups also still exist).

This machine is a completely different configuration than my working VNC machine: this one is a dual PIII on an intel 815 chipset running Win2k pro, radeon 9700 graphics card. Not really a whole lot installed on it yet. The successful VNC machine is a dual core P4 with XP home and a Radeon X1300. This machine replaced an older single processor celeron on a BX platform running Win2K pro that also had no VNC problems. Any idea what I should look for that might cause the mouse/keyboard issue?

EDIT: FYI, this computer DID finally show the issue with the VNC service disabled, so apparently VNC is not the problem, at least directly. I did boot it once again yesterday after my post here, and forgot to shut down VNC when I did, adn it once again locked within 15 minutes. So I then disabled the service, and it ran fine all day until last night. So it at least appears that whatever the issue is, VNC seems to aggravate, but isn't necessarily the primary cause. Or perhaps it's two unrelated issues. :|
Last edited by dscline on 2006-07-03 20:58, edited 1 time in total.