Update: UltraVNC 1.4.3.6 and UltraVNC SC 1.4.3.6: viewtopic.php?t=37885
Important: Please update to latest version before to create a reply, a topic or an issue: viewtopic.php?t=37864

Join us on social networks and share our announcements:
- GitHub: https://github.com/ultravnc
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ultravnc
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ultravnc1
- X/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ultravnc1
- Reddit community: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultravnc
- OpenHub: https://openhub.net/p/ultravnc

VNC Address Book - UltraVNC management (.vnc import/export)

This forum is for VNC related products | This means not only UltraVNC | It even is allowed to announce or describe commercial (and of course non-commercial) programs here (but not anywhere else in the forum)
heimtueck

VNC Address Book - UltraVNC management (.vnc import/export)

Post by heimtueck »

VNC Address Book is an open source (GPL) tool for managing UltraVNC connections (based on .vnc files).

I developed this tool because I didn't find anything similar for UltraVNC. My intention was to build a tool for the normal office user, who doesn't need all the admin functions like network scans, connection groups, ... which you can find in the most VNC management tools.

I was using Famatech's Remote Administrator before, which is a great remote tool but Famatech's new licensing policy makes it impossible to use their tool for 1000+ PCs. What I liked the most was their Remote Administrator Client. It is a simple tool with a list of favorite connections, which you can start with a simple double click.

This is what I missed when I started using UltraVNC. You can save connection data as .vnc and load it again in the vncviewer, but this procedure (especially the save procedure) is very complicated for normal and not experienced users.

The other big disadvantage is that you cant load a .vnc file into the viewer edit it and than save it again without establishing a connection.

I decided to combine the simple user interface of the Address Book that I knew from the Remote Administrator with the vncviewer's ability to start with those preconfigured .vnc files. Also I decided to make the tool a single exe file which configures everything automatically when needed.

Download:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vncaddressbook/

How it works:

You can see this tool as a simple browser for .vnc files which are located in the \my documents\VncAddressBook\ directory (the tool automatically creates this directory if it doesn't exist). you can edit the files in a special editor, save them and start connections. You can also add new connections or delete existing. The add procedure simply creates a new .vnc file and shows it in the browser.

Funcion overview:

* Browse all UltraVNC connection files (.vnc)

* All files are stored in one central folder (automatically the \MyDocuments\VncAddressBook folder of the logged on user is used)

* Add new connections

* Delete connections

* Connect to a VNC server using a selected connection file and the installed UltraVNC viewer (Viewer must be installed to use this function)

* NEW: Connect to a PC using Explorer, SSH or Telnet

* Edit each VNC settings file in an Editor which explains each function and automates the setting process when possible. Edited files can be saved again. The saved files are fully compatible to the UltraVNC viewer.

* Import .vnc files to make them available to the VncAddressBook tool.

* Export .vnc files to another directory.

* Open Source licensed under GPL

* German & English user interface

* Works as a standalone tool (no setup required)

* Setup as MSI and EXE included

Screenshots:

Requirements:

The tool is written in C# with VS2005 and the .Net Framework 2.0 so you need to install the runtime before you can use it. You can download the runtime for x86 based PCs here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... b15c5e04f5

or here for all Platforms:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netfra ... 31542.aspx

Also it is necessary to install UltraVNC 1.0.2 (or higher) and associate .vnc files with the UltraVNC viewer. If this association doesn't exist, VNC Address Book will ask you for the path to the vncviewer.exe and make the association for you.

Please let me know if you like it or not.

Igor
Last edited by heimtueck on 2007-05-04 12:51, edited 3 times in total.
heimtueck

New Version with Setup and German/English user interface

Post by heimtueck »

Released a new Version of Vnc Address Book (1.1.0.58_2007.04.10)

New Features are:

* Localization: German and English user interface. The language can be selected in the Preferences dialog. When set to Auto, the default system language is used

* Added Setup. The setup still isn't needed but it was requested by permanently so now you have both MSI and Exe setup files.

* Completely renewed the VNC Connection Editor. The editor is now easier to use and better organized.

Download it at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vncaddressbook/

And please tell me what you think about the tool.

Igor Ehrlich
kal10bach

Re: VNC Address Book - UltraVNC management (.vnc import/expo

Post by kal10bach »

hi igor,
that's the way we've been looking for.

2 questions:
- saved passwords are not accepted
- will you add a group-feature?

thanx 4 the work

georg
=/:-)
heimtueck

Post by heimtueck »

Hi Georg,

thanx for your feedback.
kal10bach wrote: 2 questions:
- saved passwords are not accepted
I just tested this feature and you are right. But there seems to be a bug in UltraVNC. It doesn't accept passwords, that are saved in the .vnc files. As I never used this feature, I didn't recognized it. Maybe I can find a workaround for that in the next Version.
kal10bach wrote: - will you add a group-feature?
What is this group feature? Do you mean something like groups in the browser tree where you can organize your connections?

Igor
Joop

Post by Joop »

heimtueck wrote:Hi Georg,

What is this group feature? Do you mean something like groups in the browser tree where you can organize your connections?

Igor
I would like that too, it would give us the possiblity to group VNC connections by client.

Further what would be nice is that it would go into the trayicon area when minimized.

Thanks for the great tool.

Joop
kal10bach

Post by kal10bach »

kal10bach wrote: What is this group feature? Do you mean something like groups in the browser tree where you can organize your connections?
x-actly
heimtueck

Post by heimtueck »

Hi,

The group feature and minimize to tray is in work. I will release the next version today or tomorrow.

Igor
heimtueck

Post by heimtueck »

New Version 1.3.0.70 is now available.

New Features:
+ Connection Groups (Add, delete, rename)
+ Drag&Drop in Treeview
+ Show in Windows Explorer function (go directly to the .vnc files)

Bugfix:
MinValue = 1 in several NumericUpDown-Controls in the connection editor caused OutOfRange-Error. Set MinValue = 0

Because of the bugfix I would recommend an update to the new version.

Grouping Feature:
VNC Address Book is a simple Browser for the /myDocuments/VNCAddressBook/ directory so the Groups you see in the Address Book Tree are simple folders in the filesystem. And The connections are .vnc files.

Download it here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vncaddressbook/

Thanx for your feedback and suggestions,

Igor
Last edited by heimtueck on 2007-04-12 18:32, edited 2 times in total.
Joop

Post by Joop »

heimtueck wrote:Hi,

The group feature and minimize to tray is in work. I will release the next version today or tomorrow.

Igor
Thanks alot !

Joop
heimtueck

Post by heimtueck »

New integrated and silent installer (UltraVNC + VNCAddressBook) released!

The new installer installs UltraVNC 1.0.2 and VNC Address Book 1.3.0.70 silently on your system.

Also fixed the MSI installer. Update installs are now possible.

If you want to install VNC Address Book silently just start the MSI with /qb+ or /qb-

Igor
kal10bach

Post by kal10bach »

thanx, good work

do you think, it could be possible, to put ur prog on a usb-stick without installing it (portable-version)?
is there already a way for accepting the stored passwords?

storing the .vnc-configurations in my documents is a great idea, so they are automatically saved with the normal backup.

georg
Last edited by kal10bach on 2007-04-14 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
kal10bach

Post by kal10bach »

hello,

i don't get a access via a stored proxy to work.
it seems like that proxy-configurations are ignored.

georg
heimtueck

Post by heimtueck »

kal10bach wrote: do you think, it could be possible, to put ur prog on a usb-stick without installing it (portable-version)?
The tool doesn't need to be installed. Just download the bin archive. But the Connections are still stored in the myDocs folder and you need the .Net Framework 2.0. In the next Version I will include a commandline option "/p" to switch the connections save path to the application directory. So when you start the tool with /p, it will create a VNCAddressBook directory in your application startup directory and then store all connections there. But still there is no way to get rid of the .Net Framework.

Just put it on an USB-Stick and start it with a link with commandline switch /p.
kal10bach wrote: i don't get a access via a stored proxy to work.
it seems like that proxy-configurations are ignored.
I checked that and cant see any problems there. can you post a copy of a .vnc file where you have this Problem?
kal10bach wrote: is there already a way for accepting the stored passwords?
The only sollution would be to start the vncviewer.exe with the password that is stored in the .vnc file. I will try it. I will implement it in the next Version, when it works.
kal10bach

Post by kal10bach »

hi,

proxy problems are caused by some broken dns-alias at dyndns. i will test ist as soon, as dyndns.org works again another time

is it possible to show the input in the password field hidden? perhaps as optional function?

thanx

georg
Last edited by kal10bach on 2007-04-17 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
mythago_wolf

Post by mythago_wolf »

On starting the program it opens up every group tree expanded. This is a pain if the group I want to access is at the bottom of the list. Having to scroll down.
How about an option to start with all the groups closed or to start like previously set prior to closing the program.

A few clicks for me is far better than scroll bar windows.
screwloose

Post by screwloose »

Hi Great program good work. i have been looking for a program like this for a while. I would also like if you could have the tree structure collapsed when the program starts.

keep up the good work.
heimtueck

Post by heimtueck »

New Version 1.4.1.79 released! Fixed password and automatic Group expansion bug.

Fixed: Passwords are now saved correctly (encrypted) and recognized by the vncwiewer

Fixed: Groups are not expanded automatically on refresh and startup anymore

* NEW: Save main window Size, expanded groups and current selected node on exit. All settings are loaded and applied automatically on next start of the tool.

* NEW: Connect through Explorer, SSH or Telnet

Lots of other bugfixes.

Attention: The VNC Passwords are saved encrypted in the .vnc files. This is the same encryption that the server uses to store the passwords in the registry. The Problem is that the passwords are allways DES encrypted with the same 8 byte key (Byte Array: {23,82,107,6,35,78,88,7}). To make the key work it is reversed by an algorithm which you can find in my code in the vnc_security class.

When you know this it is very easy to decrypt those passwords, so please don't store your favorite Domain Admin passwords in the .vnc files or in the registry.

I added a password encryption tool under the tools Menu, so you can generate your own crypted passwords for the registry.

Thanx again for your comments and bug reports,

Igor
Last edited by heimtueck on 2007-05-04 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
kal10bach

Post by kal10bach »

applause

(will there be an option to store passwords with more than 8 characters?)
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

heimtueck wrote:New Version 1.4.1.79 released! Fixed password and automatic Group expansion bug.
Nice App mate ... have been checking it out for a while now ... clean, and easy to use, and does its job just as its meant to ... no excess bagage

AWESOME WORK

*Edit* retracted a previous comment about source code after taking another look at the project location ...
(JD hits himself in the head) :oops:
Last edited by JDaus on 2007-05-06 12:54, edited 2 times in total.
ask a silly question and remain a fool for 5 minutes...
don't ask, and remain a fool for life - JDaus 2003

without imperfections, neither you nor i would exist - Steven Hawkins
__
JD
SCPrompt - OpenSource Free Remote Screen\Desktop Sharing Solution
SecureTech.com.au
heimtueck

Post by heimtueck »

kal10bach wrote:applause

(will there be an option to store passwords with more than 8 characters?)
Hi,

there is no problem for me to store passwords with more than 8 chars but vnc v4 only handles 8 chars passwords and I don't think that they will change it very soon.

Igor
heimtueck

Post by heimtueck »

JDaus wrote: Nice App mate ... have been checking it out for a while now ... clean, and easy to use, and does its job just as its meant to ... no excess bagage

AWESOME WORK
Thanx. :D
JDaus wrote: *Edit* retracted a previous comment about source code after taking another look at the project location ...
(JD hits himself in the head) :oops:
Just wanted to answer you that it's open source but ....

The code is mostly not commented, sorry for that.

Igor
kal10bach

Post by kal10bach »

heimtueck wrote: there is no problem for me to store passwords with more than 8 chars but vnc v4 only handles 8 chars passwords and I don't think that they will change it very soon.

Igor
2 learn is something that never ends :-]
but i will end typing more than 8 characters starting in the moment :wink:
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Post by JDaus »

Is it possible to make the connection configurations page size editable ???

the 768 FIXED height is rather painful as my support machine have resolution of 1024x768 due to a specific app that needs that resolution to render best (for my needs)

JD

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
mythago_wolf

Post by mythago_wolf »

Thanks for the updates to the address book.

the expand & collapse buttons are excellent :-D
Great to see the password working now.

The software is working a treat.

I'll test it into the ground.

Any way that domain log in details could become a function of the address book?
heimtueck

Post by heimtueck »

mythago_wolf wrote:Thanks for the updates to the address book.

the expand & collapse buttons are excellent :-D
Great to see the password working now.

The software is working a treat.
You're welcome!

mythago_wolf wrote:Any way that domain log in details could become a function of the address book?
UltraVNC has no function for passing domain Username/Password at logon. I don't see any secure and stable way to pass those things directly to the logon window.

If you or someone else has an idea how to implement this, I would try to integrate it. This would be a great function.

Igor
heimtueck

Post by heimtueck »

JDaus wrote:Is it possible to make the connection configurations page size editable ???

the 768 FIXED height is rather painful as my support machine have resolution of 1024x768 due to a specific app that needs that resolution to render best (for my needs)

JD
You're right, this sucks. I'm working on a new Version where I reduced th minimum size of the Settings page to ~500x500. by adding one more tab.

I'll release the new Version in a couple of days.

Igor
JDaus
Friend of UVNC
Friend of UVNC

Some Feature Requests

Post by JDaus »

awesome (on the new settings screen) ...

Feature Requests ....

1) possibility of a startup app (either on APP start or connection to machine)
2) add notes to each connection (via say a text file of the same name as.vnc)
3) add setting for optional file storage location (such as a network share)

Reasoning

1) would be handy for establishing VPN or (in my case) SSH into office / site to setup tunnel automatically prior to opening app
2) would be handy for contact details of the PC owner (so if you are doing work without the user present, or sometime after they have requested it.
3) using network sharing and offline files, all techs would be able to get any additional changes without even knowing about it.

(NOTE - i can do any of these with some minor scripting, so if they are not what you want in your APP - as you said it was meant to be simple to use - then tell me to go jump :) )

PS
if you need help debugging or coding (not so good at coding :o ), im registered on SF.net under same name (lower case) ...
Last edited by JDaus on 2007-05-13 06:37, edited 1 time in total.

__
JD
SecureTech.com.au
vdsrob

Post by vdsrob »

Awesome program! I've run in to a problem but I'm not sure if its Vista or me causing the problem. After installing your program and launching it for the first time I get a message that .vnc isn't associated with vncviewer.exe. Once I locate vncviewer.exe and click OK vnc address book quickly errors and windows takes over to analyze the error. Let me know if there is anything I can to to help out. -=)
Last edited by vdsrob on 2007-06-05 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
vdsrob

Post by vdsrob »

If I click cancel when it asks me to locate the vncviewer.exe the program launches fine. After choosing a connection and the .vnc data is passed to UltraVNC I get the following error, which is the same error I get if I double click on a .vnc file.

If I open that exact same .vnc from inside UltraVNC it works properly.
Last edited by vdsrob on 2007-06-06 13:15, edited 3 times in total.
aschaef

Post by aschaef »

This looks like it will help us out a ton! The one thing I was wondering was if you could specify the location to keep the .vnc files? I'd like to be able to install VNC Addressbook on a few different machines and keep the .vnc files on a network share so anyone could add, remote, and change the connections without having to send the new vnc shortcuts around.

Thanks.